Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2020, 12:25 PM

586 posts, read 314,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?

It's neither unsafe nor particularly difficult. My first three cars were manual, I think because it was more fun to drive. After the Army, I just wanted comfort and quiet so all have been automatic transmissions with AC and power everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 01:44 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always wished I'd learned how to drive a manual transmission. I have a friend (we are both 61-year-old women) who has always driven a manual and prefers it.

Years ago my now-ex and I had a VW bug and I wanted to learn to drive it. We went to a big parking lot that was empty but he was a rotten teacher, just screamed at me and called me names if I did something wrong, so I said forget it.

Probably too late to learn now.
I disagree. My Pa first put on skis at 58 years old. Go do it!

Old 01-22-2020, 01:55 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Interesting subject.
18 wheelers have 10 speeds or more and none of the gears are synchronized. That means gear selection, road speed, and engine RPM all have to be matched up before the truck can be shifted. If you misjudge something, it makes a horrible noise and simply will not go in gear.

It's a little tricky to learn, but it can be done. After a while I didn't even use the clutch once I got moving. Shifting up, shifting down - it was all done without the clutch.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:07 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Interesting subject.
18 wheelers have 10 speeds or more and none of the gears are synchronized. That means gear selection, road speed, and engine RPM all have to be matched up before the truck can be shifted. If you misjudge something, it makes a horrible noise and simply will not go in gear.

It's a little tricky to learn, but it can be done. After a while I didn't even use the clutch once I got moving. Shifting up, shifting down - it was all done without the clutch.
That reminds me of a video I saw years ago, of a truck driver trying to teach his girlfriend how to drive his truck. The first time, she pulled out of the truck stop just fine and headed for the interstate. As she was going around the cloverleaf, I think she tried to downshift, and missed the gear entirely. The truck came to a grinding stop. The guy was cool and tried to talk her through it. But after about two minutes of listening to other truck drivers heckling them on the CB, she got too frustrated. He had to take over and get the truck back in gear. But as soon as he got on the interstate, he had her swap right back into the driver's seat. It was kind of comical and painful to watch at the same time.

Of course these days even most 18 wheelers are automatic. Probably no new truck drivers are even going to know how to shift.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:12 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That reminds me of a video I saw years ago, of a truck driver trying to teach his girlfriend how to drive his truck. The first time, she pulled out of the truck stop just fine and headed for the interstate. As she was going around the cloverleaf, I think she tried to downshift, and missed the gear entirely. The truck came to a grinding stop. The guy was cool and tried to talk her through it. But after about two minutes of listening to other truck drivers heckling them on the CB, she got too frustrated. He had to take over and get the truck back in gear. But as soon as he got on the interstate, he had her swap right back into the driver's seat. It was kind of comical and painful to watch at the same time.

They swapped seats while driving? I imagine that was interesting to see.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
They swapped seats while driving? I imagine that was interesting to see.
Surprisingly they made it look pretty easy. I wish that video was still around, but I think it was live streamed on a website that no longer exists. Anyway I expect that most truck drivers probably get up out of their seats once in a while to grab something out of the bunk, while the truck is moving. Better then wasting time pulling off the interstate, just to spend 5 seconds grabbing something. Though probably not the safest option.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Surprisingly they made it look pretty easy. I wish that video was still around, but I think it was live streamed on a website that no longer exists. Anyway I expect that most truck drivers probably get up out of their seats once in a while to grab something out of the bunk, while the truck is moving. Better then wasting time pulling off the interstate, just to spend 5 seconds grabbing something. Though probably not the safest option.
Uh, no. These trucks are far too squirrelly and subject to crosswinds to do that, ever. Think driving a car from the 60s and you’ll get the amount of constant steering correction needed to keep these arrows flying straight.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Uh, no. These trucks are far too squirrelly and subject to crosswinds to do that, ever. Think driving a car from the 60s and you’ll get the amount of constant steering correction needed to keep these arrows flying straight.
I was thinking more of ideal conditions. On the interstate, in a straight line, with no wind. I have seen videos of truck drivers openly multitasking, doing all kinds of stuff while driving. And that is just what they are willing to show on video.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of ideal conditions. On the interstate, in a straight line, with no wind. I have seen videos of truck drivers openly multitasking, doing all kinds of stuff while driving. And that is just what they are willing to show on video.
Even then, they tend to wander an awful lot. Maybe some makes are a bit more stable, but as sloppy as some truck drivers can get about driving safely, I don’t think any would say that’s a feasibly safe action.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:40 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,925 times
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive