Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM

56 posts, read 43,903 times

Advertisements

I would dare to guess that this may really vary from one area/region to the next.

My current truck I got through CarMax and I had nothing but an amazing experience.

I had an old truck ('99 Dodge Dakota) that blew a head gasket. I was supposed to be headed to a race (motorcycle) that weekend - my truck is my only "cage" vehicle, and I had less than a week to find a truck, get financed, and be on the road. I didn't have money for a big downpayment, and knew I'd be looking used since, if I needed to buy, I was going to get a truck that would better serve my needs.

Friend recommended CarMax (who his family has used several times), went online, found a few trucks - all the prices for used trucks were pretty in line with market prices around here, even on Craigslist (which, talk about a risky endeavor). Maybe slightly above, but they went through the vehicles and fixed/replaced/changed/etc all the "routine" maintenance stuff (tires, brakes, fluids, etc) - which can add up pretty quick!

Worked with one of their associates, got the truck I decided on shipped from their other location, got the financing approved, I chose to get their extended warranty, limped my old truck over there, and they gave me $1,000 for my old truck (which was worth maybe 2K in good running condition) towards my $2K downpayment on the new truck, leaving me some extra money in my pocket.

It's been over a year since I bought my truck. I had one of the plastic pieces on a door handle break, just replaced that myself ($50 part - not their fault, it was fine for 8 months), and at this point in time and numerous hauls all over the state, no other issues. Still have lots of meat on the tires they had put on the truck, brakes are still excellent (just had that all checked during a brake fluid flush and tire rotation), truck has ran great. Still have miles on their warranty, too.

Payments have been easy and painless, and the entire process from shopping, approval, getting the truck, test drive, and being able to "sell" them my old truck was awesome for me!

Not saying they're all like that, but honestly, I was pretty happy with the entire experience where I went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 09:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Which benefits the dealer and not the consumer. They market it as a friendly, trouble free no hassle buying experience. Reminds me of the easy credit used car lot commercials. "We understand. Even good people make mistakes. Come on in and we'll get you taken care of, regardless. You can drive a car home today"
I didn’t say I shop there. I just said they have a no haggle policy.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I go back to car shows too. They let me sit in cars I otherwise wouldn't be able to, all in one place.
Huh? You said you don’t like Carmax but keep going back? So, are you suggesting you don’t like car shows either? Because if you like car shows, what is the comparison???

Old 05-08-2019, 04:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Huh? You said you don’t like Carmax but keep going back? So, are you suggesting you don’t like car shows either? Because if you like car shows, what is the comparison???
He’s basically what’s called a lookieloo. It’s like going to a car show or window shopping at the mall. About the only time a dealer would see me is if I need a part or I’m actively car shopping to buy.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
carmax way overprices their cars, and way under pays for their inventory.
All used car dealers fit that profile. Most of their inventory comes from dealer auctions. Someone has to pay their business expenses and their staff as well as the college tuition for the owner's kids. I pay cash for my cars and never buy from a dealer. Seems to me the only reason to buy from a used car lot is if you need to finance because you don't have the money to pay in full. Unfortunately that is most Americans these days.

Plus where I live you have to pay sales tax on dealer bought cars and private party cars are exempt.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:40 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Not listed on their website. Also it doesn't match up to pricing on any fiat they have listed. They have several newer then 2011 with less miles that are in the $7500-8500 range. So OP is either wrong or exaggerating.

Carmax sells everything based on Edmunds pricing adjusted for the local market.

I bought a 2 cars from Carmax and they were in excellent condition and priced below what any other used car dealer locally was selling for and slightly more then private sellers. Carmax is generally priced very competitively which is how they move so many cars with no haggle prices

The thing is what someone asks private party and what they actually get are usually very different. I can knock of 30% or more with a motivated seller.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:37 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
They really had a 2011 500?
I just looked at a local carmax, typed in 2011 and it showed 114 2011 model cars within 250 miles.

67 2010 model cars too!

Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
This type of activity always makes me wonder, why? If you always come away unimpressed, why do you go back.
Because then he would have nothing to complain about online. Duh!

SS

Old 05-08-2019, 09:53 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I just looked at a local carmax, typed in 2011 and it showed 114 2011 model cars within 250 miles.

67 2010 model cars too!
How many 2011 Fiat 500s did they show, which is what the OP said he looked at, duh. When I made that post, I had looked for myself, and they did NOT show a 2011 Fiat 500.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
For those of you that bought at CM:
https://www.carmax.com/car/17346602
2011 Chevy base model pickup (38K miles, $16,899).

I bought this identical truck BRAND NEW in 2013 for 18,300! 2 years newer model, brand new/zero miles for $1400 more.

Also note CM is offering 6-9% financing if you have a good score (670 up to a 739!). If you have a 739 you should be a the new car dealership buying something brand new not 8 yr old stuff from CM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive