Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m losing count of the number of Ford SUVs.
I'm losing count of SUV's in general. People don't really drive anymore. They just get from A to B in a big ugly box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,008,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just another huge ugly box. Everyone wants huge. We sure seem to love ugly vehicles as well. Wow.
Ah but when styling is brought up. Very many want whirly curves and bends and massive front sharks mouth front grilles with bunches on lights all twisted and turned. With teeny tiny windows.

Last edited by unit731; 05-17-2019 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Spelling.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,643,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Ah but when styling is brought up. Very many want whirly curves and bends and massive front sharks mouth front grilles with bunches on lights all twisted and turned. With teeny tiny windows.

....and thereby compromising one of the main reasons to have an SUV, the cavernous cargo capacity.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,462,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I like the FJ Cruiser, but it is not an FJ which was essentially a Japanese Jeep. With the Blazer, I had hoped GM would take it back to its roots like Ford will maybe do with the Bronco. Maybe International Harvester will come back with the Scout.
Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.

The FJ had all the off-road suds one could hope for. The manual transmission version was full time 4WD. I don't think they had power seats (could be wrong on that.) The interior was all hard surfaces so one could in theory hose them down. Sure, it had no convertible option. It had an access door but was basically a two door SUV.

In the literature booklets provided to Toyota dealership salespeople, the cars they put it up against as most likely to be cross-shopped were Wranglers, and the Nissan XTerra.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Overpriced?

No doubt.

But if it's truly off road capable, it may give Jeep some competition, just like the original did back in the late 60s.
With what looks like IFS for a front axle Ford better bring it’s A game. Because IFS is really weak in real off road.

Get rid of the half door suicide bs. It’s the same crap the FJ Cruiser had. But I guess you need it to get all the fatties in the back seat these days

IF it was up to me I would take the suspension to coil spring solid axle front and rear suspension trailing arm type. Basically wha5 the Superduty front suspension looks like. Solid axles coil springs will give it a good ride. Also make the whole rear cab section removable as the original one. Don’t turn it into a luxurybarge. Make it affordable for the masses.

Have a bare bones level or make it where people can order the bare bones and then pile on off road stuff like front AND rear winch bumpers with winches, spare tire carriers, roof racks, tires, lift kits, lights, additional fuel tank, skid plates, recovery gear, onboard air compressor with tank, optional welder and inverter, onboard generator, CB radio, rock lights, supercharger, give the damn thing selectable air or electronic lockers, sway bar disconnects etc
And for the love of Christ don’t make it a 4 door. You already have a one. It’s called a Expedition. Granted it’s a landbarge but you have one.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:03 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,164,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
With what looks like IFS for a front axle Ford better bring it’s A game. Because IFS is really weak in real off road.

Get rid of the half door suicide bs. It’s the same crap the FJ Cruiser had. But I guess you need it to get all the fatties in the back seat these days

IF it was up to me I would take the suspension to coil spring solid axle front and rear suspension trailing arm type. Basically wha5 the Superduty front suspension looks like. Solid axles coil springs will give it a good ride. Also make the whole rear cab section removable as the original one. Don’t turn it into a luxurybarge. Make it affordable for the masses.

Have a bare bones level or make it where people can order the bare bones and then pile on off road stuff like front AND rear winch bumpers with winches, spare tire carriers, roof racks, tires, lift kits, lights, additional fuel tank, skid plates, recovery gear, onboard air compressor with tank, optional welder and inverter, onboard generator, CB radio, rock lights, supercharger, give the damn thing selectable air or electronic lockers, sway bar disconnects etc
And for the love of Christ don’t make it a 4 door. You already have a one. It’s called a Expedition. Granted it’s a landbarge but you have one.
The Blazer I saw was basically an Equinox, it’s not needed.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:

This

Maybe they'll learn from the off road bunch, especially side by sides. People always order stuff after they buy them. Winches, lifts, spacers, big tires and lights, especially lights and sound systems.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 983,273 times
Quote:

I would rather have IFS. There is already an option with two solid axles, the Jeep Wrangler.

There is only one offroad capable SUV with IFS and it's the aging overpriced 4Runner. Solid axles are garbage at anything other than crawling, IFS is much better for real world driving on trails and dirt roads

Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,435,910 times
Ford has done pretty good in the pickup/suv market remember they started the compact SUV market with the Explorer witch was the Bronco ll replacement.

The SUV craze was in full swing by 1993, and Ford's competitors could not catch up: Ford sold 302,201 Explorers - nearly 85,000 units ahead of the Grand Cherokee and 135,000 units ahead of the S10 Blazer.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 PM

9,892 posts, read 7,238,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
The Blazer I saw was basically an Equinox, it’s not needed.
The Blazer fits between the Equinox and the Traverse. It competes against the Edge, Murano, Passport, et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive