Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 03:58 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If you want a full size spare tire get a pickup or a SUV problem solved. And i want a 8 track player again lol lol. I’ve been driving since 1970 when am radio was what you got in your vehicles. I remember hooking up a 8 track player with a FM radio on a slide mount so i could remove it when i want to.

A lot of SUV's (and I'm talking about real SUV's not cross-overs) don't offer a full-size spare unless you pay extra as an option.

Getting away from the audio argument, what about floor mats? Most vehicles don't have floor mats, either carpet or rubber, as standard equipment anymore. You have to pay extra for them either singly or as part of an option package. Unlike certain audio components, I don't know anyone that doesn't want floor mats in their vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 05:28 PM

763 posts, read 379,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years, I mostly listen to streaming while driving, I do not miss CD players. With so many cars and insurance plans having roadside assistance and tires have become more reliable, spare tires have also become superfluous.
Not if you go places where there is no cell signal to call anyone. If you only drive in populated areas then it is not a big deal to not have a spare.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:20 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
A lot of SUV's (and I'm talking about real SUV's not cross-overs) don't offer a full-size spare unless you pay extra as an option.

Getting away from the audio argument, what about floor mats? Most vehicles don't have floor mats, either carpet or rubber, as standard equipment anymore. You have to pay extra for them either singly or as part of an option package. Unlike certain audio components, I don't know anyone that doesn't want floor mats in their vehicle.
Either make your own or pay extra for them. What else can you do?

Usually a lot of those accessories can be included at no cost when you’re negotiating a car's price at the dealer.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:30 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I have the majority on my side (most buyers DO want CD players), so you can call me antiquated all you want. LOL!

And car buyers most definitely want spare tires.
In 1905, most Americans wanted a horse for transportation. They were antiquated, but it wasn't until 1910 that maybe they realized it?

If you want a CD player in a car, then buy a car with a CD player. There are still cars that have them. You and your 7 out of 10 as you say can simply all buy the cars that have CD players and you will start seeing all cars put them back in.

But that won't happen, because while you say 7 out of 10 want a CD player, the reality is that way, way, way fewer actually care.

Bump this thread in 5 years and see how many people still think that people demanding a CD player in cars are NOT antiquated.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:21 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Seems spares are even less likely to be found on high end cars! Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus all forego spares.

Are run-flat tires part of an option package they want you to buy?

Old 09-16-2019, 07:26 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
But that won't happen, because while you say 7 out of 10 want a CD player, the reality is that way, way, way fewer actually care.
My wife's 2018 Forester came with a CD player but she's never played a CD in it. She is perfectly happy with the satellite radio. But if you'd asked her if she wanted a CD player she would have said "yes" because her last vehicle had one.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
NOTHING prevents you from buying a spare tire.
You make demands and they will comply.
if you refuse to buy any car based on this issue they will eventually give in.
When I lived in the mountains snow tires were required during the winter or be putting on tire chains every time it snowed.
I had 2 full sets of rims & tires for the truck, one set for summer travel and one set for winter travel and they lasted a long time. An incredible advantage. I was not rich I was poor in fact but it was cheaper in the long run to go this way.
But then I do a lot of things no one else did, and enjoyed all the advantage of not being stupid or lazy.
I had tall wheels for freeways and shorter wheels for mountain driving .

Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
The Spousal Unit has a huge CD collection but rarely plays a CD in the car, preferring to just add each new disc to his music thumb drive in uncompressed format after he buys it. 500+ albums to pick from in the car at any time, and no digging around to find the right physical disc.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The Spousal Unit has a huge CD collection but rarely plays a CD in the car, preferring to just add each new disc to his music thumb drive in uncompressed format after he buys it. 500+ albums to pick from in the car at any time, and no digging around to find the right physical disc.
Agree. Who wants to look through CD's to find something to listen too? Can't even imagine having a stack of CD's in my car...and I have a CD player. (although it was removed the following model year). Proudly Gen X and I burned all my CD's to MP3 years ago...and gave all my CD's away to some young kid on Craigslist a few weeks ago.
My entire music collection is on my phone and I use Blue Tooth to listen to it. It's not just the techy thing to do... its insanely convenient.

As for his 7 in 10 stat:
CARS.COM — Don’t throw that compact disc into the dustbin of history just yet. (But fax machines, wood-paneled basements and “Jersey Shore” can stay there.) Seven in 10 car shoppers still want a CD player as part of the electronics that comprise their car stereo, according to a new survey of in-market consumers by IHS Markit. And of that subset, 75 percent think a CD player should be standard in a car.

https://www.cars.com/articles/car-cd...1420695800638/

From 2017. I bet that number is lower today. And gets lower every month.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
My Fiesta ST has a CD player and a full size spare
My wife's Fusion Hybrid has neither
My NA Miata had a cassette player and a compact spare. Now it's got neither - I wouldn't trust a 22 year old compact spare anyway.
My Europa has a full size spare in the frunk. And an AM/FM radio with knobs.

I've had a couple 280zxs, an 81 and an 83. They came with deflated compact spares and a can of infiltrator - not even a pump, air in a can! The cans and flat tires didn't last past the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive