Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:18 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Locally some ranchers/farmers have ATVs. Some of these are like the original Army Jeep in size, power, and capability. These things can be in the $5,000 range new depending on brand and options. Some can be optioned like a small utility truck. Some can haul four or more people safely like for a ranch or work crew.
Very true but you need to revisit your $5,000.00 comment. My UTV Kawasaki was $11,500 back in 2011. A new John Deere UTV starts at around $12,000.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 06:55 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Sure you could get a single cab work truck for cheap but that's not really practical, at least not for me.

Ok I'll bite, where do you find these mythical stripped down single cab pickups with 8ft bed? Sure dont find them on dealers lot. If they still make them they are sold to company or govt fleet buyers only. Or maybe a 6 month special order to an individual? Still too much "tech" to be practical with hundred computer modules throughout the vehicle for stuff that doesnt need dang computer. Dont need a tailgate that folds itself into a killer robot. Or rear cameras that can make a trailer disappear. Dont need any of this nonsense. Need bare bones super practical, super cheap to buy and REPAIR. You know kind pickup that isnt profitable to manufacturers cause the kind customer that buys this pays cash and isnt wanting unnecessary gadgetry. Using it for work, not to show off at local wannabe urban cowboy bar.

Modern trucks with tiny box beds arent useful to me. I want a single cab with 8ft bed and granny four speed manual transmission if only such even existed anymore. Heck give me a carburetor all cast iron OHV straight six while you are at it. I dont want a pretend Maserati with equivalent of an open steamer trunk on back, I want a super practical utilitarian vehicle that can haul without a trailer attached and is affordable. You know that rare critter last seen in 90s.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
They're all useless as trucks due to stupidly short beds.
You don’t have to buy them like that. My Tacoma is an access cab and has the longer bed, and I haul all kinds of things with it.

As far as the lineup, here’s my thoughts...

Ranger - The 4cyl turbo is a deal breaker for me. It may have decent power, but I don’t like the sound of a four banger, or turbos.

Colorado/Canyon - In V6 form they look like decent trucks, but I do feel like GM reliability is iffy.

Jeep - Chrysler reliability, no thanks.

Ridgeline - Styling is butt ugly.

Frontier - Old and dated, but still a reliable choice.

Tacoma - Also a bit dated, but can’t be beat for reliability.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:19 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
For those of us that don't drive up 20% incline washed out dirt roads, through flames, and drop dozens of steel I beams in the bed, a passenger van makes much more sense. Lower height, covered storage, can seat 1MM people (rough estimate), better visibility, and in real world use can hold more stuff.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:44 AM

459 posts, read 619,958 times
My Sienna can do everything I need it to do, no truck required here.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:45 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Sure you could get a single cab work truck for cheap but that's not really practical, at least not for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Ok I'll bite, where do you find these mythical stripped down single cab pickups with 8ft bed? Sure dont find them on dealers lot. If they still make them they are sold to company or govt fleet buyers only.
The dealers I see stocking these base trim regular cab trucks are usually the ones that have a fleet/commercial sales department. They like to keep a few of these vehicles that are most popular with commercial buyers; usually small businesses or self-employed individuals who are only buying one vehicle. That, and maybe a dealer that likes to keep one sample on the lot that they use for their promotional advertising ("1-only at a sale price of $24,999!"), knowing that few retail buyers are going to want something like that. But it gets prospective buyers out onto their lot, and provides an opportunity to upsell the customer into a better-appointed vehicle, albeit at a higher cost/profit margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
They're all useless as trucks due to stupidly short beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You don’t have to buy them like that. My Tacoma is an access cab and has the longer bed, and I haul all kinds of things with it.
Yes, the Tacoma can be had with an extended cab/ 6-ft. bed, and the exterior proportions are no greater than the double cab/5-ft. bed config. The jump seats in the rear should be good enough for kids; or maybe adults that aren't too large, and out for a short trip. But like those base regular cab trucks referenced above, that configuration is virtually nonexistent in dealer inventories.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:25 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
I think the biggest problem with the Ridgeline is the styling and the high price tag. IMO it is absolutely atrocious. But when it comes down to what most truck owners need and use their truck for it really is the "best" truck.
It's only atrocious because it's functional. Other trucks sacrifice practicality for "style"... like ridiculous tall hoods and seating positions, without actually improving ground clearance. So you have to climb up into them, even before you add a lift or bigger tires. I really hate the lack of forward visibility in trucks these days...

They are going after a poseur "big, manly, rugged, outdoorsy" vibe... incidentally in a vehicle full of metro-sexual creature comforts that costs a fortune. That's what sells. Apparently men have so much ego-status wrapped up in their vehicles that they care little about it being practical, and everything for it projecting a certain "image".

Old 10-01-2019, 11:37 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Very true but you need to revisit your $5,000.00 comment. My UTV Kawasaki was $11,500 back in 2011. A new John Deere UTV starts at around $12,000.00
Ok. Looked it up and a bare bones stripped down UTV started between $7,000 to $10,000 depending on brand, engine, and features. Some can be tricked out to nearly $20,000. Also looked up the true modern day version of the original Jeep, the Mahindra Roxor, and it can go up to around $25,000. As I understand it part of the reason for the high price is the things that make these vehicles rugged off road capable work vehicles.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:37 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
I have a lifelong friend that is in love with the Jeep Pickup.......despite its crazy price.

He is a home depot hauler, a Dr by career. He doesn't need a pickup for what he uses the vehicle for. I told him repeatedly that a 5X8 utility trailer will do every pickup job he would ever need and they cost about $1500 and last forever. No insurance needed, cheap tags and it can be towed by virtually anything. Heck if you don't want to buy one you can rent one from Uhaul for about $25 a day.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have a lifelong friend that is in love with the Jeep Pickup.......despite its crazy price.

He is a home depot hauler, a Dr by career. He doesn't need a pickup for what he uses the vehicle for. I told him repeatedly that a 5X8 utility trailer will do every pickup job he would ever need and they cost about $1500 and last forever. No insurance needed, cheap tags and it can be towed by virtually anything. Heck if you don't want to buy one you can rent one from Uhaul for about $25 a day.
That's an excellent point, and it would allow him to still drive an uncoupled daily driver that's better suited to that task, while being able to hitch the utility trailer up when the need arises. Certainly some customers really need the capabilities of a pickup truck, but I think many of the over 2 million pickup trucks sold each year in the USA go to people who are buying them for style/image, ironically. Of course one could argue that's also why many people buy an Audi or BMW... but the pickup is on the surface a purely practical, no-nonsense vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive