Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 04:57 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Glad you mentioned that, as I'm not aware of any Carvana locations near me, and even though they quoted me a good offer, I was going to contact them again, and discuss how they finalize the transaction.

I'm also a little concerned about committing to a sale in this method, as we're not buying a car off the dealer's lot, where we know it's there, and possible for us to inspect, before both taking delivery as well as relinquishing our current car. I'd hate to sell our car to Carvana, have them show up and take it, only to find out that our new car had been damaged in transit, leaving us without a car.
With those concerns, perhaps you should look at Carmax. They offer the same one-price, no-haggle type of sales, but you pick a car off their lot, test drive it, etc, They also will buy your old car.

https://www.carmax.com/

In 2011 I bought a 2008 Ford Fusion after looking at 3 prospects on their lot. In and out in about an hour.
(I did not have a trade-in). 3 years old with 24,000 miles, and has been trouble free since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 08:24 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,730 times
I heard that carvana sold rental cars purchased from big rental car companies... They try to hide just where their cars come from. Used rental cars are often abused and trouble prone. Carmax does it too...beware!

Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
I heard that carvana sold rental cars purchased from big rental car companies... They try to hide just where their cars come from. Used rental cars are often abused and trouble prone. Carmax does it too...beware!

A quick carfax check should reveal this. Carfax doesn't have everything reported to them but their ownership history is pretty helpful. Unless I am buying from a private party, I do not bother going to the dealerships without seeing the carfax. There are a lot of red flags that you can screen for.

Having said that, I have bought ex-rentals as CPO cars (in this case Hyundai's) and they have been fine.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:42 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
If you drop off your vehicle to a Carvana physical location (if you have one nearby), you gain an extra up to $200-$300 on trade-in. Carvana, secretly, fail to tell buyers that they will deduct the value if they have to come tow and pick up your vehicle. Free pickup is actually not free at all. Compare your quotes (by zip code) from your residence and Carvana's drop-off location together.
That must depend on where you live. I never paid a drop off fee or a pick up fee. I sold two cars to them and bought one and all were delivered/picked up. When I got the quote for them to buy my vehicles, there was no question on whether we were dropping it off or if they were picking it up before they gave me the price they would pay for my cars. The checks were for exactly what they said they would be.

I do know that they charge a delivery or pick up fee in some areas, though.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:06 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
With those concerns, perhaps you should look at Carmax. They offer the same one-price, no-haggle type of sales, but you pick a car off their lot, test drive it, etc, They also will buy your old car.

https://www.carmax.com/

In 2011 I bought a 2008 Ford Fusion after looking at 3 prospects on their lot. In and out in about an hour.
(I did not have a trade-in). 3 years old with 24,000 miles, and has been trouble free since.

But we're buying a brand new car, which Carmax does not deal with. My concern, which had me begin this discussion, was how to maximize the amount I could get for our old car.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:37 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But we're buying a brand new car, which Carmax does not deal with. My concern, which had me begin this discussion, was how to maximize the amount I could get for our old car.
Actual CarMax does sell new cars through it's Toyota dealers in VA and WI. Same no haggle price experience.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:43 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Actual CarMax does sell new cars through it's Toyota dealers in VA and WI. Same no haggle price experience.

That may be, but they don't do that where I live. Secondly, we wanted a very specific car, with very specific color combinations and equipment. Therefore, it had to be a "factory order". Even if Carmax did sell new cars in my area, I doubt that they'd want to deal with such circumstances.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:27 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Just about every car dealership sells used rental cars. I used to do a lot of work with a very large auto auction. It was only open to dealers (no private parties). I huge chunk of the cars being sold were used rental cars. And all the dealerships bought them, not just the used car dealerships and Carmax types.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:22 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I guess they offered thousands more because they'll sell it for thousands more. I look at them before I bought my Volt, and they were always around $2k overpriced.
That is the flip side of it. If you look up vehicles on CarGurus, if there is a Carvana vehicle on the list, it is invariably listed as overpriced and it is priced well above the estimated value for that market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive