Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 08:26 PM

292 posts, read 428,966 times

Advertisements

I have a 2018 Toyota Sienna minivan with all the bells and whistles, like power sliding doors, keyless entry, power sunroof, etc. So it uses a lot of battery power. It is now 2 years old with 35,000 miles.

About a month ago the service advisor said the battery test indicated it needed recharging, but was still good. I drive only a few times a week, around 5-10 miles in the city a week. So I drove it for a while to recharge it, and it tested good at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Fast forward a month later, and it wouldn't start. There was a grinding noise. I called AAA and they jump-started me. This month I have been driving even less, due to COVID-19, and also started walking. I rest in my car in between laps around my block, so there are 4-6 cyces of me opening the power windows and electronically locking and unlocking the doors each time, without the car running. I also drove it to O'Reilly Auto again after drviing for 20 minutes, and both the battery and alternator tested fine.

So my question is: is this normal for low usage, or do I need a new battery? I don't want to have to run my car twice a week for no good reason and pollute the air. The indicator tool I bought at Harbor Freight Tools goes between green light for the battery and yellow (needs recharging) daily when the ignition switch is on "Acc" or "On". The alternator and battery alway test fine when the engine is running. I am tempted to buy a Costco Kirkland battery, which has a 3-year 100% refund, and pro-rated after that for 2 more years.

At my dealer in northern Nevada, the service advisor has a chart that says in my area, batteries last between 2-3 years, or 3-4 years (I can't remember which).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 08:32 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Yeah, it used to be a problem for years - parasitic current draw.
https://www.siennachat.com/threads/p...scharge.10010/

It could be also just a bad luck with your battery.

Also read this:
https://vehq.com/toyota-sienna-battery/

Last edited by elnina; 04-15-2020 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, it used to be a problem for years - parasitic current draw.
https://www.siennachat.com/threads/p...scharge.10010/

It could be also just a bad luck with your battery.

Also read this:
https://vehq.com/toyota-sienna-battery/
Wow! I read both links...they are very thorough. Thank you.

I guess this leaves me more questions:

1. Is my battery still covered under the 36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty? I have 35,750 miles.

This is what that article says:

Quote:
New Toyota Siennas come with a 36-month/3,000-mile basic warranty. This warranty covers “repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Toyota…” (warranty manual, p. 13).

This means that Toyota will cover the replacement of your battery only if it failed due to a defect and not something under your control, such as misuse, water contamination, or improper maintenance. And, because batteries are generally reliable parts, the likelihood of Toyota covering a battery replacement within three years of purchase is very low.
2. Do I need to drive it at high speed to fully recharge the battery, or will just letting it idle for 30 mniutes work? This is what your other link said:

Quote:
"a couple slow miles around a small town will not do it. if this cycle is repeated, well you can see where that eventually leads. so its not that the Alt can't overcome the 200mA, its that it can't overcome the cumulative effects of the discharged battery and full load of a running van with only short, low speed trips. you have to get it out and up to speed."
3. I can't use a trickle charger, since I live in an apartment complex and park outside in the parking lot, in my assigned space. What do I do?

Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 PM

Also, what if I took the battery out and put it inside the apartment when I wouldn't be driving the car? Would be battery experience any drain then? I could use a trickle charger inside. I will probably make just one or two short trips a month until things start to die down with the coronavirus.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:08 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
If you take the battery out and put inside the apartment then there shouldn't be any significant power drain. However, it will cancel your preset radio stations, forget learned shift points, and other things normally remembered by the computer.
Is that your first car?

There might be reasons why you have a problem with your battery.
Do you normally leave your phone charger plugged in?
The most common causes of the parasitic drain are under hood lights, trunk lights, headlights or glove box lights that do not turn off when the door is closed. Relay switches that are stuck in the "on" position can also cause a battery to drain. ... Alternators with bad diodes can cause battery drain.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:00 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Use a battery tender if you take it out and put in your apartment, loosening you’re preset radio stations is no big deal is it. But taking it out and putting it back in all the time is a pita.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:11 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you take the battery out and put inside the apartment then there shouldn't be any significant power drain. However, it will cancel your preset radio stations, forget learned shift points, and other things normally remembered by the computer.
Is that your first car?

There might be reasons why you have a problem with your battery.
Do you normally leave your phone charger plugged in?
The most common causes of the parasitic drain are under hood lights, trunk lights, headlights or glove box lights that do not turn off when the door is closed. Relay switches that are stuck in the "on" position can also cause a battery to drain. ... Alternators with bad diodes can cause battery drain.
I agree.

Better idea, is at least once a week, take your car for an extended drive. It will benefit the car, because A) the battery will fully charge; B) the oil will fully warm up and "cook off" any residual condensation; and C) the exhaust system will fully warm up, and "cook off" any residual condensation.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:15 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Newer vehicles have a fairly high parasitic current draw.

Consider the wireless key fob that lets you enter and start the vehicle. A receiver in the vehicle is always turned on awaiting a signal from that fob. It draws current. If you don't drive, the vehicle battery charge will diminish too much.

The solution is to use a trickle charger that essentially replaces the vehicle parasitic draw.

Another solution is to have portable jump starter battery for a quick start. That's what I do.

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Imazing-Porta...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Old 04-16-2020, 06:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Look into a solar battery charger that you plug into the accessory plug. I used one many years ago for a Jeep I used to park outside during the summer months while I drove my Vetter or a Grand Prix. It worked great. Just make sure it has a circuit to prevent any possible over charging.
Granted the Jeep Wrangler did not have the higher parasitic drain newer vehicles have, you can find them with a higher output.

Due to everything being closed down, and I'm retired, my short trips into town for food and other necessities has me once a week connecting a battery charger to my vehicle in the garage and charging up the battery.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:14 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,893,184 times
Dont put it in your apartment on a trickle charger. Even at such a low rate of charge, it will put out gases that can make you sick. Now, if your apartment has a balcony or porch, with an outlet, put it out there, but youre going to get tired real quick of toting that battery back and forth. Just take it for a good 20 - 30 minute drive.

And depends on your warranty if its covered or not. Most likely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive