Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 11:26 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm saying that a stick shift is a physical impediment to certain unsafe behaviors, not that it's a cure-all.

Boy o boy you would be walking all the time in the years before automatic transmission were invented. Driving a manual is one of the easiest things to do , if you can’t you should not even be driving. What would people do if there was an emergency and had to get someone to the hospital and the only vehicle around was a manual transmission, i guess that person would be sol because you can’t drive a manual. Forget about using a cell phone because not everyone has one. I guess anyone who can’t drive a manual transmission can’t walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.
What are you talking about? It's much harder to use a cell phone if you're occupied shifting.

Its also more difficult to engage in all sorts of other alarming and unsafe behaviors that one sees the general American public doing while they drive.

Driving a stick shift is easy.

Driving a stick shift while eating a burger or putting on makeup or texting? All made more difficult by a stick shift.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:34 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? It's much harder to use a cell phone if you're occupied shifting.

Its also more difficult to engage in all sorts of other alarming and unsafe behaviors that one sees the general American public doing while they drive.

Driving a stick shift while eating a burger or putting on makeup or texting? All made more difficult by a stick shift.

Haha. No, it's really not unless you're in traffic. Trust me, I've had a lot of burgers in stick shift cars. Shifting really takes up very little time whole driving, unless in stop and go traffic.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:40 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:

I drove a stick and still drank my coffee and used my cell phone i can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time , i guess some people can’t drive a manual and do that. That’s the difference between people who have grown up driving a manual in the late 60’s and those that haven’t we learned to do other things.i guess semi truck drivers just sit there and just drive lol lol.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:49 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
I have driven both all my life. It is clearly more labor/effort/attention intensive to drive a stick shift while eating a hamburger compared to an automatic. Still very easy to do, NOT much more effort, but for sure more!

It is also my opinion that the manual cause me to pay just a tiny bit more attention to my driving and traffic than an automatic.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I drove a stick and still drank my coffee and used my cell phone i can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time , i guess some people can’t drive a manual and do that. That’s the difference between people who have grown up driving a manual in the late 60’s and those that haven’t we learned to do other things.i guess semi truck drivers just sit there and just drive lol lol.
Ah hell, they got a CB good buddy..... come back.... 10-4!

Old 04-21-2020, 12:16 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I have driven both all my life. It is clearly more labor/effort/attention intensive to drive a stick shift while eating a hamburger compared to an automatic. Still very easy to do, NOT much more effort, but for sure more!

It is also my opinion that the manual cause me to pay just a tiny bit more attention to my driving and traffic than an automatic.
A good driver pays attention to driving and traffic no matter how the gears are shifted.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:22 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Ah hell, they got a CB good buddy..... come back.... 10-4!
Hold on there's a Bear behind me l so i have to back off the hammer and there's a salt shaker In front of me to.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A good driver pays attention to driving and traffic no matter how the gears are shifted.
Agree completely.... I think the disagreement is in the availability/distribution of good drivers.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:25 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Agree completely.... I think the disagreement is in the availability/distribution of good drivers.
No the disagreement is in cause and effect. Sticks don't make you a better driver, nor do automatics make you a bad driver. Shifting is such a small component of driving that it's not the issue.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No the disagreement is in cause and effect. Sticks don't make you a better driver, nor do automatics make you a bad driver. Shifting is such a small component of driving that it's not the issue.
My attention is always on high alert if I'm driving. Manuals make ME even more attentive to all situations because of the additional physical effort needed to drive them.

I cited some links earlier that support that thought.

Disclaimer: Your opinion and what you take out of this may vary. Ain't it great?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive