Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 03:38 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You really can't go by CA, land of high gas prices and the most extreme environmental laws. In the whole USA Tesla sales were not even in the top 25, nor was any other EV. Total EV sales in CA were still only 8.3% in 2020.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g3...SAAEgJ_Q_D_BwE

https://insideevs.com/news/486199/ca...sales-q4-2020/
My statement was about what I wrote and I provided data to back it up. Last I looked CA was part of the US and about 10% of the total population.

The car and driver link is missing the Model 3 - it should be about 16 on the list based on 2020 sales (206K). Some lists don't have Tesla sales because of the way they are reported. Tesla doesn't report sales by country, US sales data for Tesla normally come from NHTSB data that has not been reported for 4th quarter yet so estimates are made by experts from the 3rd quarter reports and then corrected when the report is finalized. CA Sales come from registration data.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:53 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
It appears you never understood the answer. 600 miles.
Giving a wrong answer and ignoring everything else doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Why you do keep posting British videos that are irrelevant in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Let me fix that for you

- EV catch fire less than 10% as often as any other vehicle so really quite different as far as frequency.
True, but with an ICE vehicle you generally know when it will catch fire (smell of gas, spills). Can the same be said for an electric vehicle?

- On average an EV is much less to fill than an ICE vehicle - my place in CA, the cost to fill is about $7.50 vs about $60 for equivalent in gas - in NV, my cost to fill is about $3.50 vs $50.
True for the time being. As I mentioned before, I'd expect costs for electricity either in the form of higher rates or alternate taxes when the gas tax revenue decreases. How much that will be? Who knows.

- The electric generation capacity in the US runs at just over 50% capacity. Converting all vehicles to EV would increase electricity use to about 60%. Studies show that current generation capacity and infrastructure could handle the additional load.
I can't say I have enough knowledge to comment here

- Range on EVs can exceed 400 miles and most places chargers exist to extend that to unlimited but 98% of car trips are less than 30 miles.
The only car rated for over 400 miles is a Tesla S, which starts at $70k. Maybe you can hypermile a Tesla 3 to get over 400 but who wants to drive like that??? And you should modify that to say 98% of car trips are under 30 miles in urban areas I can tell you for a fact way more than 2% of my trips are over 30 miles and I live in a metro area of 500k.

- The Model 3 is available at $37K which is almost 10% less than the average new car in the US of $40.1K, many other EVs are much less with up to $7.5K tax rebate.
If the price of the car were the only consideration, a lot more people buy them...the $37k car has "only" 263 mile range. Many would have to add the cost of at least a 220v charger. Some don't even have a garage, do you want a cord going from your home to the street? We'll see when the $25k Tesla comes out (snicker).

- EVs drive like any other car except faster off the line - only thing that is much like a golf cart is no need to change gears - push the throttle and go.
True, I drove a Mirai which is much slower but it was a nice drive

- Batteries are an expensive part of an EV, just like the drive train of an ICE vehicle - still the cost of an EV is about the same as an ICE vehicle and battery prices are going down while ICE component costs are getting more expensive.
Again true but as I have said before I don't believe all the savings will be passed on to the consumer. There is so much money spent on research that companies have to recover this money. Tesla's profit is still only from carbon credits, not from operations so it will be difficult for them to pass all the savings. They need to spend money on refreshing their cars. And the car manufacturers are catching up so Tesla will slowly lose market share. Most of the electric cars coming out now are $45k and up, so it will take a while to get below $30k for a profitable car (no Federal incentives).

Last edited by Vic Romano; 03-01-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 04:06 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Read the links - the data (and I) said 4th most popular car in the US. Those vehicles are pickups and guess what, pickups are NOT cars.
Well split hairs all you wish. People buy trucks and use them for the exact same thing they use cars for.

So pointless semantics noted.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right which are probably why there are a few electric pickups due to be released in the next couple of years including a Tesla pickup.
Sure, I bet some people will buy them. Don't they will beat out conventional pickups.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:17 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Well split hairs all you wish. People buy trucks and use them for the exact same thing they use cars for.

Pickup trucks are much of utility multi-use vehicles. That's what makes them so attractive to US consumers, although these vehicles are getting very expensive. A car is more convenient for family driving, but a pickup truck can be used for a lot of others reasons, in addition to family members using it as a family vehicle.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Pickup trucks are much of utility multi-use vehicles.
Yeah most people that but them use them to commute.
Quote:
That's what makes them so attractive to US consumers, although these vehicles are getting very expensive. A car is more convenient for family driving, but a pickup truck can be used for a lot of others reasons, in addition to family members using it as a family vehicle.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion on what is more convenient but I don't think people who own pick ups and use them to drive around agree with you.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
That's what RayinAK seems to be doing, trying to impose his biases formed from his sub-Arctic environment on the rest of us in the lower 48. There are good reasons why an EV may not be the most optimal choice for Alaskans, but they don't apply to most of us down here.
You assuming that this is what Ray from Alaska is implying. Assumptions are rarely the truth. If you read my responses in this thread, i am explaining why it is very difficult for EV's to be widely accepted in Alaska. I have also mentioned that in places where there are concentrations of people living close to each other (towns, cities, and so on), and as long as chargers are available along the roads, then EV's probably are a good choice.

I even mentioned CA as being fine for EV's, or the UK and their neighbors, and also states or cities that are in proximity to each other.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:32 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times
Quote:

It is not semantics when you use incorrect data to impugn something that I never said.

So pointless post noted - you might read the link before you post.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah most people that but them use them to commute.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on what is more convenient but I don't think people who own pick ups and use them to drive around agree with you.
We all have opinions. As for me, I use a pickup truck and trailer when I need lumber and other construction materials, including topsoil or gravel, for my home. For example, I purchased 3 very large fiberglass 3-pane windows, had the window company load the windows on the bed of the truck, and then a friend and I unloaded them from the truck once I returned home. I use this pickup truck along a topper over the bed to sleep at night off the roads when on long trips to photograph wildlife, or the Auroras. During the moose season, I tow a trailer that is loaded with a UTV and meat trailer, or to haul a boat/trailer during the summer. The rest of the time I don't need to drive the truck; instead drive a Toyota Corolla.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Why you do keep posting British videos that are irrelevant in the US?
Pay attention! Very relevant to the US, as petroleum fuels are made the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpX-9OyEr4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive