Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 12:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I don't need that you need data to convince people that it's better than it is. I would simply go into it knowing the reality.
Industry standard is 10-20 years. There's no convincing there. It's well documented. You're making up numbers and presenting them as facts without backing it up. So what data are you looking at that shows the entire auto industry is wrong?

NIMH batteries were supposed to last 10 years... but the vast majority of them are just fine at 15 years. Lithium batteries are more resilient.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
The price of batteries will not go down, it will only go up. If more people want these that increases demand, and demand already is higher than supply and these represent what about 3% of vehicles?

Further producing them and refining them and all that stuff takes time and costs money I'm betting these skyrocket and value over the next couple of years.
The cost of batteries have been going down and will continue to go down as production increases. People said the same thing about NIMH batteries and they were dead wrong. By the time today's cars are 10-20 years old, the price batteries will have dropped significantly.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Electric Vehicles Close to ‘Tipping Point’ of Mass Adoption

Starting to look that way. No, it won't be 100% and ICE motors won't be extinct. But the train has left the station and it ain't coming back; automakers are just about fully invested in EV's now.

"Global sales rose 43% in 2020, but even faster growth is anticipated when continuing falls in battery prices bring the price of electric cars dipping below that of equivalent petrol and diesel models, even without subsidies. The latest analyses forecast that to happen some time between 2023 and 2025."

When "peak oil" happens it won't be due to declining production, it'll be from declining demand.
This is the obvious future. We will be burning coal for our cars now.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:15 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Industry standard is 10-20 years.
Yeah.
Quote:
There's no convincing there. It's well documented.
And when it goes out in 7 years and you trusted propaganda, you'll know reality too.
Quote:
You're making up numbers and presenting them as facts without backing it up.
Then don't believe me, I don't mind
Quote:
So what data are you looking at that shows the entire auto industry is wrong?
The entire auto industry exist to separate you from your money the easiest way possible. If you want to trust them, again I don't mind.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The cost of batteries have been going down and will continue to go down as production increases.
As long as the demand stays low. This is a basic reality of economics is demand increases so will price.
Quote:
People said the same thing about NIMH batteries and they were dead wrong. By the time today's cars are 10-20 years old, the price batteries will have dropped significantly.
Again only if the demand stays low.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah.
And when it goes out in 7 years and you trusted propaganda, you'll know reality too.
Then don't believe me, I don't mind
The entire auto industry exist to separate you from your money the easiest way possible. If you want to trust them, again I don't mind.
So this is just your personal feeling and there's no real data or information to back up your "hunch". Got it. That's all you had to say.

Good thing the batteries are warrantied for 8-10 years. Which if you knew anything about business, would never be viable if the batteries died at 7 years.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So this is just your personal feeling and there's no real data or information to back up your "hunch". Got it. That's all you had to say.
You can think whatever you want.
Quote:
Good thing the batteries are warrantied for 10 years. Which if you knew anything about business, would never be viable if the batteries died at 7 years.
Yeah warranty is sketchy and I don't trust them over been burned too many times.

They are often simply sales gimmicks.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:47 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
You can think whatever you want.

Yeah warranty is sketchy and I don't trust them over been burned too many times.

They are often simply sales gimmicks.
Sketchy how? The government isn't in the business of ripping people off. Why do you think that?

Old 01-24-2021, 12:49 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
As long as the demand stays low. This is a basic reality of economics is demand increases so will price.

Again only if the demand stays low.
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's about economics. When something's in demand (like batteries are now), the industry responds by increasing production at a cheaper cost. There's no doubt that batteries will be much cheaper in the future (3-6 years).

Old 01-24-2021, 01:11 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I think it's easy to overlook that the article is saying that the tipping point is approaching--not that it's here already (at least not for the US). That tipping point is essentially when EVs in nearly all market segments are price competitive or even cheaper than their closest ICE counterparts. Currently, that only exists in a few luxury market segments. However, the projection based on battery price reductions that have been ongoing for a decade as cited in the article, but actually several decades outside of automotive usage, seem very likely to continue and within the *next few years* will hit a price point where EVs become price competitive with ICE vehicles in nearly all segments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive