Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 09:24 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I could be wrong, but at least in the US the expensive Audi automobiles are not big sellers. I assume that since the EU nations are going the EV way, Audi EV's should sales should be better than Audi with ICEs.
It's because Audi (volkswagen) is notoriously poor quality and expensive to repair. They are in constat lawsuits.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
This guy's Tesla S is out of warranty and his battery has failed.
Now, he has to pay $22,000 plus tax for a replacement battery.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...odel-s.221438/

----
Anybody wants to buy a slightly used 8-year-old electric vehicle?
With or without core charge, pick and pull used battery or new. For a new battery that's not bad. Most of the old battery is probably fine. I'd have it torn out and use it for a battery backup for the house.

If it's just 22k to exchange one old battery that doesn't work for another old battery that does work, well, no way that's worth it. Should be able to junk it to someone to harvest the battery for something and move on.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,294,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
With or without core charge, pick and pull used battery or new. For a new battery that's not bad. Most of the old battery is probably fine. I'd have it torn out and use it for a battery backup for the house.
It's $22,000 for a new or refurbished battery PLUS you must return your battery or pay $15,000.

One guy says that he and his friends own 9 Teslas and 4 of them have replacement batteries. When their Teslas are out of warranty, they will most likely get rid of the cars.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:41 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I could be wrong, but at least in the US the expensive Audi automobiles are not big sellers. I assume that since the EU nations are going the EV way, Audi EV's should sales should be better than Audi with ICEs.
Depends on your zip code. In affluent suburbia in the Northeast, European crossovers are everywhere. Audi Q and BMW X are very common. Any town with a median household income of $125k+ has a lot of Audis. An optioned out pickup truck is not a status symbol in those places.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:24 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
This guy's Tesla S is out of warranty and his battery has failed.
Now, he has to pay $22,000 plus tax for a replacement battery.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...odel-s.221438/

----
Anybody wants to buy a slightly used 8-year-old electric vehicle?
This is what I have tried to explain here. Some people think if you have failing cells in the HV battery you can keep driving with reduced range. It doesn't work that way, the BECM recognizes something is wrong and turns the car into a brick.

When this happens you are given two options...

1) pay possibly more than the value of the car for a refurbished battery
Or
2) send an otherwise fine car with a bad battery to the crusher.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:30 AM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This is what I have tried to explain here. Some people think if you have failing cells in the HV battery you can keep driving with reduced range. It doesn't work that way, the BECM recognizes something is wrong and turns the car into a brick.

When this happens you are given two options...

1) pay possibly more than the value of the car for a refurbished battery
Or
2) send an otherwise fine car with a bad battery to the crusher.
Yikes. Does anyone know why this is? Would it be possible to design an EV that would tolerate the loss of a few cells in the battery pack? This seems like a brittle design feature that could stand fixing...

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-18-2021 at 04:59 AM..

Old 03-18-2021, 04:36 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
It's $22,000 for a new or refurbished battery PLUS you must return your battery or pay $15,000.

One guy says that he and his friends own 9 Teslas and 4 of them have replacement batteries. When their Teslas are out of warranty, they will most likely get rid of the cars.
Refurbished just means a used battery. They took some other used batteries that failed and swapped the modules or whatever failed around. It's a used battery that works rather than a used battery that doesn't work. Huge difference between a used battery that works out of a 8 to 10 year old car and a new battery that would go into a 2021.

At 37k it's probably not worth it anyway, but it is an academic question about whether Teslas are really million mile cars or that's just another Elon Mars Colony.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Refurbished just means a used battery. They took some other used batteries that failed and swapped the modules or whatever failed around. It's a used battery that works rather than a used battery that doesn't work. Huge difference between a used battery that works out of a 8 to 10 year old car and a new battery that would go into a 2021.

At 37k it's probably not worth it anyway, but it is an academic question about whether Teslas are really million mile cars or that's just another Elon Mars Colony.
May be possible to get a million miles if you get them in before the battery gets too old. But, an old battery is an old battery, I don’t think it matters much it if has 75k miles or 275k.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yikes. Does anyone know why this is? Would it be possible to design an EV that would tolerate the loss of a few cells in the battery pack? This seems like a brittle design feature that could stand fixing...
I think it’s tied to the cell balancing. They try to keep all of the cells balanced, but when you have a few that are bad it throws the whole thing out of whack.

Manufacturers replace individual sections under warranty because it cheaper for them to do that. Out of warranty, they seem to want you to replace the whole pack.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 03-18-2021 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-18-2021, 09:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
its interesting how much activity threads regarding electric cars.

yesterday one of my employees saw me getting out of my car at work. she came up to me later and said that if she wins the lottery she wants my car.

i dont think you need the lottery for a tesla model y. it cost me about $52k minus $5k check from NJ and also no sales tax. but it is interesting the perception of tesla around here. its not so common so many people actually think more highly of it than a bmw or mercedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive