Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 01:58 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Then why are the insurance companies charging such high rates for EV's? Their number one reason is because they cost so much to maintain and replace if they get into a car crash. They won't be making this stuff up without statistics to back them up.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/how-hav...nsurance-rates

But mind you, I am looking at the Tesla model 3, which do tend to be more of a luxury vehicle compared to the Bolt.
The article says the reason is they cost a lot to repair after a crash, not that they cost a lot to maintain. (1) Insurance companies don't even pay for vehicle maintenance and (2) It's a well known fact that EVs cost less to maintain than equivalent ICE vehicles.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:02 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They charged me less on my new Chevy Bolt vs my 2021 LT1 Camaro. Odd but my Vettes were cheaper than a 2015 gt Stang i had to insure.

Had my Chevy bolt since last weekend and love it so far. Not even used any battery power with my 8 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. I only drive 50 per week so a EV works fine with me and really will shock ya on the get up and go from 0 to 30mph it just flat takes off.

All my driving was in speed zones of 30 to 45mph and never really got use the power of my Camaro as it was up to 80mph in WOT burst in a flash and it was a gas hog. Now i can pass all gas stations and LOL. One less stop to deal with getting gas.
But I don't care for the Bolt since I tend to not care for the Chevy/GMC brand. It's Dodge, Ford or just by luck, Kia that is for me. I am getting interested in the Tesla because I liked the look and I think it's neat how it can self drive, but I'm not paying no $585 a month to insure it. Nothing worse than throwing away good money on some BS I will most likely never use, and insurance is one of them. I'm in the middle of selling all my properties in FL right now and plan to relocate to NC, so maybe it will be more reasonable to insure there.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:07 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Yikes on $585 a month to insure. Mine is only around $500 per 6 months.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The article says the reason is they cost a lot to repair after a crash, not that they cost a lot to maintain. (1) Insurance companies don't even pay for vehicle maintenance and (2) It's a well known fact that EVs cost less to maintain than equivalent ICE vehicles.
But how long can an EV last? I bought my Dodge Ram back in 2003, and it's still going strong, and I co-own an auto repair garage so I can get all my vehicles maintained and repaired for very little due to the fact I have wholesale buying power.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Yikes on $585 a month to insure. Mine is only around $500 per 6 months.
It's Florida. I guess the insurance companies think a hurricane is going to hit us every year. We also have a lot of people who drive without insurance that don't help matters. I own rental properties and 3 businesses, and you don't want to know how much I pay for insurance for those places.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:23 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
The article linked to says the biggest factor is the cars they sampled simply cost more to buy, thus to insure. I mean how much more self-evident can this be?

I chose between a Clarity and an Accord Hybrid with more or less the same trim levels and the insurance quotes (USAA) tracked accordingly...to the purchase price.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:31 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That’s anyone’s guess. No guarantee of it.

If you are capable of looking at trends, it's not hard to predict. We've gone over that before. Prices are coming down and have come down almost 10 fold since your Volt was built. So it's not a "guess". It's already happening.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
USAA is also only for those in the military or direct relatives to the military and they can get much lower premiums than other carriers. But this is a fact, that electric cars are 23 to 50 percent more to insure than other gas vehicles.

And I live in Florida where the insurance companies love to raise rates.

I've cross shopped USAA with Progressive and Geico and their rates pretty much are the same (which is why I haven't changed No reason to if there's no real benefit). I had a custom Volt before the Bolt and it was the same.

And no it's not a fact that they cost that much more to insure than equivalent gas vehicles. Otherwise I'd be paying more regardless of carrier. Look at the General for your own rates. Try the Progressive match feature. BTW, you're saying EVs cost more, but the only one you want and checked on is the more expensive Tesla. Did you perchance check and see how much a BMW M340i costs you to insure? Or an Audi S4 or RS4? Because those are it's competition, not a damn Kia.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
But how long can an EV last? I bought my Dodge Ram back in 2003, and it's still going strong,
Well, the trends are looking pretty good, but the oldest modern EV (Li-Ion batteries) are a mere 10 years old, so... and there have been 3 generations of EVs since those first ones, with improved batteries and improved ability since then. Again, the maintenance is minimal compared to gas cars, and easy enough to DIY the non-warranty bits (wipers, tires, brakes), so it should be plenty easy to make sure they go long distances. Volts have already been known to go 200-300k miles for the early ones that have been on the road long enough. And they are being DIY'd by a lot of people as they age and get out of warranty.

Old 03-19-2021, 03:19 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Well, the trends are looking pretty good, but the oldest modern EV (Li-Ion batteries) are a mere 10 years old, so... and there have been 3 generations of EVs since those first ones, with improved batteries and improved ability since then. Again, the maintenance is minimal compared to gas cars, and easy enough to DIY the non-warranty bits (wipers, tires, brakes), so it should be plenty easy to make sure they go long distances. Volts have already been known to go 200-300k miles for the early ones that have been on the road long enough. And they are being DIY'd by a lot of people as they age and get out of warranty.
There are several reports about the 2014 Volt with dead batteries around 35,000 miles. You would have to look at the independent Chevy Volt user forums where the 2014 and 2018 Volts are listed.

By the way, while I am not bashing EV's, I just don't consider any multi-cell battery as a reliable component. Yes, most work fine for a certain period of time, specially if all the proper conditions are maintained, but EV battery technology has not been nailed down. It is relatively new and evolving.

Now, in relation to battery longevity data, anybody who is interested to know about such things may be able to find it here. Just keep in mind that most of the data comes from Tesla:
https://insideevs.com/news/334075/ho...-battery-last/

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-19-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive