Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2021, 03:40 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Laughable. A troll from across the pond trying to tell Americans what is typical in America.
We just went through some blackouts in my state and I remember the power being out for nine days during hurricane hike now if that happens and we have electric cars we are screwed over beyond all recognition.

An electric car is sitting in your driveway during a power outage is every bit is worthless as an electric blender.

I however was able to drive my Stone age truck to the grocery store to the hospital if I needed to to the pharmacy if I needed. If you had vital drugs you'd have to go panhandling to the people that weren't dumb enough to buy an electric car as they're sole transportation.

I'm actually thinking about getting a generator installed because I have a lot of power outages.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:45 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
We just went through some blackouts in my state and I remember the power being out for nine days during hurricane hike now if that happens and we have electric cars we are screwed over beyond all recognition.

An electric car is sitting in your driveway during a power outage is every bit is worthless as an electric blender.

I however was able to drive my Stone age truck to the grocery store to the hospital if I needed to to the pharmacy if I needed. If you had vital drugs you'd have to go panhandling to the people that weren't dumb enough to buy an electric car as they're sole transportation.

I'm actually thinking about getting a generator installed because I have a lot of power outages.
How are you going to get diesel or gas when gas station also doesn’t have power? Your fully charged electric car will have same range as your full fueled ice vehicle also parked with no way to fill either. You can actually power things with your Tesla, guess you could via outlets on ice vehicles too.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:52 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
How are you going to get diesel or gas when gas station also doesn’t have power? Your fully charged electric car will have same range as your full fueled ice vehicle also parked with no way to fill either. You can actually power things with your Tesla, guess you could via outlets on ice vehicles too.
Some gas stations have a backup generators were i live to keep pumps and cash registers going, so what is a EV suppose to do. Hears an idea how about a gas or diesel generator. There’s always electric with a fossil fuel generator including natural gas another fossil fuel. So you’re statement about what are ice vehicles going to do if no power at a gas station.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:06 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Some gas stations have a backup generators were i live to keep pumps and cash registers going, so what is a EV suppose to do. Hears an idea how about a gas or diesel generator. There’s always electric with a fossil fuel generator including natural gas another fossil fuel. So you’re statement about what are ice vehicles going to do if no power at a gas station.
You don’t think Tesla has already thought of this with their charging stations? The company is already worth more then any other car company, is this some made up thing? Solar panels on your roof will power your home and EV vehicle. The sun plays a giant role in areas hurricanes are very common. This is pretty obvious and I’m not even an EV fanatic or care at all...

Old 02-25-2021, 08:24 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Well, hell, didn't you just say backup generators? EVs can use that. EVs can use that, mains power, local battery storage, all sorts of things. There are a lot of things that easily convert to electricity generation. There are not a lot of efficient pathways to generating fuel for general automotive ICE powertrains. Hell, it's not even a very good idea to put diesel inside your gas vehicle or vice versa, right?

Old 02-25-2021, 08:38 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post

You're maybe a bit unfamiliar with the technology, but when your mains power goes out in a blackout that doesn't mean the power you have in your EV's battery suddenly vanishes.

Even better if you have local stationary storage. Here's a home in Houston that has solar panels and local stationary storage as the only home in the area that still has its lights on:

Old 02-25-2021, 10:02 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
Quote:

Also, and just as relevant - In the kinds of major disasters that tend to lead to widespread power outages the fuel distribution network tends to break down. It's not just "does the gas station have power to run the pumps", it's also "does the gas station have any gas to pump". Generator doesn't do much good if you don't have fuel.

A home with solar and local storage, or an EV charging station with a solar array (like these), can be self-sufficient in a way that nothing depending on fossil fuels can be.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:05 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Also, and just as relevant - In the kinds of major disasters that tend to lead to widespread power outages the fuel distribution network tends to break down. It's not just "does the gas station have power to run the pumps", it's also "does the gas station have any gas to pump". Generator doesn't do much good if you don't have fuel.

A home with solar and local storage, or an EV charging station with a solar array (like these), can be self-sufficient in a way that nothing depending on fossil fuels can be.
That's why those of who live in hurricane areas know to stock up on fuel as soon as hurricane season begins, and not wait until a storm is coming (at least the smart ones do). As soon as the first storm enters the Caribbean, I go ahead and fill two 5 gallon cans with fuel, and by October if a storm never happens, I just dump them into my truck.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:28 AM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
After hurricane (superstorm) Sandy (Oct, 2012), NJ created a low cost loan program for high volume gas stations to add backup generators. All the stations on the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and AC Expressway have had backup generators since around 2015. Last time I checked, there were over 150 stations in NJ with backup generators.

Retail Fuel Station - Energy Resiliency Program | NJOEM
Here is the current list:
http://ready.nj.gov/programs/pdf/RFS-Energy-Resiliency-Program-Eligible-Stations-List-102113.pdf

Old 02-25-2021, 01:29 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, hell, didn't you just say backup generators? EVs can use that. EVs can use that, mains power, local battery storage, all sorts of things. There are a lot of things that easily convert to electricity generation. There are not a lot of efficient pathways to generating fuel for general automotive ICE powertrains. Hell, it's not even a very good idea to put diesel inside your gas vehicle or vice versa, right?
So you’re saying that you can never go absolutely green energy, yes a EV can use a fossil fuel generator to charge up their vehicle, but that defeats the whole concept of having a EV vehicle right. And certainly you can’t depend on solar energy in places that is not that sunny in the winter time in the northern states. And what about Alaska were it stays dark for months. The ice will never go away especially in the otr trucking industry, and the fire departments, or the EMS vehicles at least not in my lifetime. So going to green energy is a long long time away. Like i said before i would love to see EV jet liner or a EV rocket ship. There’s no EV chargers in the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive