Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 04:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We routinely take 2500-3000Km trips
You are far from typical.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:53 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
You are far from typical.
Not in the US he isn't.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:01 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Not in the US he isn't.

Sort of depends on what typical and routinely mean. I reckon it'll be an order of magnitude or two more people who do this in the US compared to the UK, but is it even 10% of consumer vehicles in the US that are used for trips longer than 1,500 miles more than say once every five years?

That's not to say this isn't a need that shouldn't be addressed and maybe Cybertruck or some other one of the EVs in the near future will fill that need in the near future, but I do wonder how common that is.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:42 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Not in the US he isn't.
I worked for months in London so I realize what is typical in London is not typical for where I live in Phoenix. I have family in Louisiana and Seattle so that's why I have long travel routinely. When I look around my neighborhood here, I see plenty of large pickups including dually's like I have as well as Teslas....you wouldn't see tons of trucks and dually's in UK or anywhere else in Europe (I owned an apartment for years in Marbella, Spain and know my truck wouldn't work in Spain either).

Old 02-24-2021, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Not in the US he isn't.
The average American drives 2500-3000Km trips on a regular basis? Please!

Old 02-24-2021, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked for months in London so I realize what is typical in London is not typical for where I live in Phoenix. I have family in Louisiana and Seattle so that's why I have long travel routinely. When I look around my neighborhood here, I see plenty of large pickups including dually's like I have as well as Teslas....you wouldn't see tons of trucks and dually's in UK or anywhere else in Europe (I owned an apartment for years in Marbella, Spain and know my truck wouldn't work in Spain either).
You are not typical of the average American.

You are right, the rest of the world does not have an obsession of driving around in construction vehicles.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:19 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
Sorry, no. If it's still faster to drive up and tank up with gas, that's what people are going to do.
Sorry, no. It is faster to tank up an EV 95% of the time because it is done at home while you sleep. No stop on the way home to fill anymore. Once you get the concept, you will find that an EV is easier.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:30 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The average American drives 2500-3000Km trips on a regular basis? Please!
There's a lot of room between "you're far from typical" and "on a regular basis."

It's practically a cliché to point out to Europeans how big the US is and how much we drive to get from place to place. As much as you think you "get it" conceptually, you can't really understand it until you come spend a lot of quality time here. In a few months I'll be driving from Chicago to Atlanta to attend a wedding and then back home. Round trip: 1,500 miles, or 2,400km.

As part of the American experience, there's absolutely nothing atypical about my planned journey.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
There's a lot of room between "you're far from typical" and "on a regular basis."

It's practically a cliché to point out to Europeans how big the US is and how much we drive to get from place to place. As much as you think you "get it" conceptually, you can't really understand it until you come spend a lot of quality time here. In a few months I'll be driving from Chicago to Atlanta to attend a wedding and then back home. Round trip: 1,500 miles, or 2,400km.

As part of the American experience, there's absolutely nothing unusual about my planned journey.
I have driven all over the USA. I have seen more of the USA than the average American for sure. I have worked in the USA. The average American does not get up and drive 3,000 miles on a regular basis. Most Americans live in urban areas as well.
"It is estimated that 83% of the U.S. population lives in urban areas, up from 64% in 1950. By 2050, 89% of the U.S. population and 68% of the world population is projected to live in urban areas."
Greater urbanisation will dictate that the air in the urban areas has to be clean. That is why EVs, or any zero emission vehicles, will be adopted. The days of poisoning the air we breath are drawing to a close.

Last edited by John-UK; 02-24-2021 at 02:54 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 03:36 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Just a few things I found in which I base my opinion;

At the end of the manufacturing process, electric cars are the ones generating more carbon emissions, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists. Because electric cars store energy in large batteries (the larger they are, the bigger their range is) that have high environmental costs. This happens because these batteries are made of rare earth elements (REE) like lithium, nickel, cobalt or graphite that only exist beneath the surface of the Earth and therefore depend on mining activities with very polluting processes. Researchers stated if the batteries aren't recycled correctly or reused, their good for the environment is wasted.

And as for that electric car: The energy doesn’t come from nowhere. Cars are charged from the nation’s electrical grid, which means that they’re only as “clean” as America’s mix of power sources. Those are getting cleaner, but we still generate power mainly by burning fossil fuels: natural gas is our biggest source of electricity, and is projected to increase. And coal, while still declining, will remain the second largest source of electricity for some time. (Third is nuclear power, which doesn’t generate emissions but has other byproducts that worry some environmentalists.)

DOnt get me wrong, electric vehicles are more efficient for the user, but I personally dont see the benefit to the environment. Many people also say nuclear power is better for the environment...I worked in a nuke plant before and other than cleaner emissions, they are far more destructive to the environment in my opinion. I have succumbed to the fact that we live in a society that cherry picks focal points even if it conflicts with other agendas.
Wow you have got a lot of misinformation and it is you that seems to be cherry picking. The Union of Concerned Scientists did NOT say that electric cars generate more emissions - they said the opposite - Are Electric Vehicles Really Better for the Climate? Yes. Here’s Why

Quote:
One of the questions I’m most frequently asked about electric vehicles (EV) is: “Are they really a cleaner option?” While it’s obvious that a fully-electric vehicle eliminates tailpipe emissions, people often wonder about the global warming emissions from generating the electricity to charge an EV. The latest data affirms that driving on electricity produces significantly fewer emissions than using gasoline and is getting better over time.
The part you posted about rare earth metals is also wrong - their article; Electric Vehicles, Batteries, Cobalt, and Rare Earth Metals was talking about human rights issues not pollution.

Quote:
Specifically, the use of lithium, cobalt, nickel, and other metals that are part of an EV lithium-ion battery pack has raised red flags about the poor human rights and worker protection records in the countries where these materials are mined.

A lot of these warnings have been incorrectly categorized under “EVs and rare earth metals.” Though neither lithium nor cobalt are rare earth metals
Your statement "rare earth elements (REE) like lithium, nickel, cobalt or graphite that only exist beneath the surface of the Earth" is total non-sense, none of these are a REE. Lithium is one of the most common elements on earth and is "mined" by drying out ponds. Graphite is just a form of carbon. Some REE are used in EVs but they are also in ICE vehicles - they are not unique to only EVs.

As far as powering an EV, the stats are that EVs are far less polluting - same link

Quote:
... the average EV produces global warming pollution equal to a gasoline vehicle that gets 88 miles per gallon (mpg) fuel economy. That’s significantly better than the most efficient gasoline car (58 mpg) and far cleaner than the average new gasoline car (31 mpg) or truck (21 mpg) sold in the US.

When looking at all these factors, driving the average EV is responsible for fewer global warming emissions than the average new gasoline car everywhere in the US. In some parts of the country, driving the average new gasoline car will produce 4 to 7 times the emissions of the average EV.
EVs are much better for the environment.

As far as Nuke power goes - your "opinion" is just that, Nukes are much cleaner if done correctly. BTW - I have operated Nuke plants not just worked at one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive