Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 10:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Regardless of how accurate various predictions about the timeline have been over the years, it's still a matter of "when," not "if."

But the reason we're approaching a tipping point is because the issue of fossil fuels (as well as emissions) is quickly becoming secondary to one that resonates much more with the masses - the EV technology is better. It's no longer a matter of "will we be able to develop EVs that are capable replacements for ICE vehicles?" We've done that. The question now is "at what point will availability and price enable this superior technology to outpace ICE sales?" Will it be 2035? I don't know. But like the issue of finite fossil fuels, it's also a matter of "when," not "if."
It’s also a cost thing. Renewables are now cheaper than fossil fuels. Personally, I didn’t see that coming. A wind farm off Martha’s Vineyard is much cheaper than a natural gas generating plant. The ownership cost per mile for an EV with a battery and motors that last the life of the car is trending to be much lower than a gasoline powered car.

Tesla solved the range and charging time objections. I have no interest in a crummy EV that only goes 100 miles and takes hours to charge. I’m fine with a car that I can take cross country with 20 to 30 minute recharge breaks every 250 miles at a 150 kw charger.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:18 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Regardless of how accurate various predictions about the timeline have been over the years, it's still a matter of "when," not "if."
When is 2030-35, depending where you are. The rest will follow like dominoes falling.
Quote:
The question now is "at what point will availability and price enable this superior technology to outpace ICE sales?" Will it be 2035?
Countries and US states have that date, and earlier, stipulated. When is a given.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Never get behind a electric car, you never know when the battery is going to go dead.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Never get behind a electric car, you never know when the battery is going to go dead.
Are you kidding?

Old 02-22-2021, 10:32 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
The only way I see electric vehicles being purposeful is if we were running out of fossil fuels and could no longer support gas powered vehicles. Regardless of cost, they pose other environmental damage that did not previously exist, not to mention they still need to be charged which is done so with the use of fossil fuels. Todays technology makes gas powered vehicles more efficient than ever with very minimal emission's and I feel unless there is a need for an alternate method, we are wasting time and money.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
No, I said scarcity of petro fuels compounded by its high price as it stands, which will get more expensive as scarcity cuts in. The technology is superior for sure. The whole superior package of EVs is pushing EVs forward. Look at the Tony Seba vid I posted. He gets it right. Also look at my other posts.
Maybe petrol is high-priced where you are because your country taxes the holy hell out of it. Around here the price is below its historic average on an inflation-adjusted basis.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Maybe petrol is high-priced where you are because your country taxes the holy hell out of it. Around here the price is below its historic average on an inflation-adjusted basis.
Electricity charging an EV is still cheaper than buying poison juice. Petro fuels are undertaxed for the damage they do.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The only way I see electric vehicles being purposeful is if we were running out of fossil fuels and could no longer support gas powered vehicles. Regardless of cost, they pose other environmental damage that did not previously exist, not to mention they still need to be charged which is done so with the use of fossil fuels. Todays technology makes gas powered vehicles more efficient than ever with very minimal emission's and I feel unless there is a need for an alternate method, we are wasting time and money.
Just about everything you wrote was well...wrong. Look into it a little more.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I have looked into it. Perhaps you could explain exactly what is wrong with what I wrote.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Just a few things I found in which I base my opinion;

At the end of the manufacturing process, electric cars are the ones generating more carbon emissions, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists. Because electric cars store energy in large batteries (the larger they are, the bigger their range is) that have high environmental costs. This happens because these batteries are made of rare earth elements (REE) like lithium, nickel, cobalt or graphite that only exist beneath the surface of the Earth and therefore depend on mining activities with very polluting processes. Researchers stated if the batteries aren't recycled correctly or reused, their good for the environment is wasted.

And as for that electric car: The energy doesn’t come from nowhere. Cars are charged from the nation’s electrical grid, which means that they’re only as “clean” as America’s mix of power sources. Those are getting cleaner, but we still generate power mainly by burning fossil fuels: natural gas is our biggest source of electricity, and is projected to increase. And coal, while still declining, will remain the second largest source of electricity for some time. (Third is nuclear power, which doesn’t generate emissions but has other byproducts that worry some environmentalists.)

DOnt get me wrong, electric vehicles are more efficient for the user, but I personally dont see the benefit to the environment. Many people also say nuclear power is better for the environment...I worked in a nuke plant before and other than cleaner emissions, they are far more destructive to the environment in my opinion. I have succumbed to the fact that we live in a society that cherry picks focal points even if it conflicts with other agendas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive