Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 07:32 AM

483 posts, read 354,381 times

Advertisements

Europe released sales figures for 2020 and electric cars sales doubled in a year when total sales were down 3 million units. Pure electrics increased to 747,000 units. Plug-in electrics (including pure EVs) and hybrids both topped a million units shattering previous records. Clearly the point of mass adoption is rapidly approaching.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:56 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Bolts are selling well all over. They increased sales year after year and in 2020 sold double what they did in 2019. There is a new Bolt coming out later this year as well as a Bolt EUV (basically an electric smallish SUV). Here are some stories from northern climates:

"I'm in central Saskatchewan. People think I'm nuts for owning one. But easily takes me on my daily 150km commute. Haven't had it long enough to see what summer brings but so far in -40c it's doing the job and has cut my fuel costs by 1/3 compared to driving my ICE"

"I'm in Ontario Canada and had mine since 2017 with 139k miles it has been next to perfect and can easily travel coast to coast. I did a 6065mile trip across Canada in the fall and not one issue and the cost was unbelievably cheap"

"I live in Canada (Quebec), and even with the cold, it's still more than enough, and I only have 1 car for our family! But some people are dumb as sh.t, they want EV to do 1000 km before even thinking about getting one, yet, they don't have any rational on why they need that much!"

"I live in Western Maine. The temps drop quite a bit here. It is even colder here than in parts of Northern Maine. My car is garage kept (non-heated). I get about 175-200miles range. Charging stations are few and far between. Other than one at the grocery store 14 miles away, and two at a college 35 miles away, my best bet is probably 40-50 miles before I find a charging station. But even with reduced winter range, it isn't an issue."

"I did the same thing, in November of 2018. Researched EVs. Decided on the Bolt. Looked for the nearest one, 180 miles away. Test drive it. Bought it. I’m in South Dakota. I love driving my car!"
Attached Thumbnails
Article: "Electric Vehicles Close to ‘Tipping Point’ of Mass Adoption"-northernbolt.jpg  

Old 02-09-2021, 08:28 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
But we don't need to, we can just use conventional vehicles.
Exactly. EV's are a feel good solution in search of a non existent problem. It is another way for many Leftists to Virtue Signal. That's all. They are not practical and are a REGRESSION in compatibly and usefulness. We are going backwards.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:29 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Exactly. EV's are a feel good solution in search of a non existent problem. It is another way for many Leftists to Virtue Signal. That's all. They are not practical and are a REGRESSION in compatibly and usefulness. We are going backwards.

Mod cut.

My EV hatchback is quite practical. No, it won't tow my travel trailer, but as a daily driver it can't be beat. Having a full tank every morning and being able to drive all over the east coast on a couple bucks worth of electricity is a bonus. It's quick and fun to drive, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. It cost about the same as any other ICE car of it's size class, but it cost less to drive and maintain. How is that going backwards, again? Oh right it's not.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-09-2021 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:46 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,224,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
[Snip.]

My EV hatchback is quite practical. No, it won't tow my travel trailer, but as a daily driver it can't be beat. Having a full tank every morning and being able to drive all over the east coast on a couple bucks worth of electricity is a bonus. It's quick and fun to drive, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. It cost about the same as any other ICE car of it's size class, but it cost less to drive and maintain. How is that going backwards, again? Oh right it's not.
Good for you enjoy your electric vehicle.

As far as emissions go I don't care I can't do much of anything without some sort of emissions. I'm not going to believe that electric cars have no emissions because the electricity has to be made somehow.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-09-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-09-2021, 11:27 AM

464 posts, read 314,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Europe released sales figures for 2020 and electric cars sales doubled in a year when total sales were down 3 million units. Pure electrics increased to 747,000 units. Plug-in electrics (including pure EVs) and hybrids both topped a million units shattering previous records. Clearly the point of mass adoption is rapidly approaching.
But was the playing field even? Did people in Europe freely decide to purchase EV, as opposed to ICE, free and clear of coercion, government incentives, government legislations and regulations?

From my experience, in the absence of financial incentives or legislations, people freely choose ICE vehicles. I have owned an EV for years, but oppose forcing people to drive electric vehicles. I believe in freedom of choice. I bought my EV because of the government financial incentive, I was curious about the technology, and it wasn't my only vehicle. I am still satisfied with my EV- but not any more or less than any of my other ICE vehicles.

Last edited by foulball; 02-09-2021 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-09-2021, 12:00 PM

464 posts, read 314,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
[Snip.]

Here it is. Why do tesla and EV people have to force their values on others?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-09-2021 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-09-2021, 12:44 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
But was the playing field even? Did people in Europe freely decide to purchase EV, as opposed to ICE, free and clear of coercion, government incentives, government legislations and regulations?

From my experience, in the absence of financial incentives or legislations, people freely choose ICE vehicles. I have owned an EV for years, but oppose forcing people to drive electric vehicles. I believe in freedom of choice. I bought my EV because of the government financial incentive, I was curious about the technology, and it wasn't my only vehicle. I am still satisfied with my EV- but not any more or less than any of my other ICE vehicles.

Yea, pretty much. They generally voted in multiple governments in succession that campaigned on providing support for EVs and transitioning out of fossil fuel usage as well as putting a price on what were originally externalities (off the balance sheet) for fossil fuel industries and products. One of the interesting things that people don't necessarily know about Europe is that a lot of the governments are actually democratically elected on multiple levels from the national to the subnational to the municipal. Now there are some countries in Europe that are arguably not very democratic, but for the most part they are and an interesting tidbit is that a few of what are generally considered the most democratic of countries seem to have the highest EV market share.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:28 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This is nonsense. Based on your sequential use of "Leftists" and "Virtue Signal," it's abundantly clear where you stand politically. But you can't ignore the benefits of electric vehicles no matter how much you want to chalk them up as just another part of the "liberal agenda."

Environmentally, the emissions issue is important. Yes, electricity has to be produced somewhere and we're not yet at a point where it can all be produced without emissions, byproduct, etc. But it's far more efficient to produce enough energy for 1,000,000 vehicles in a single, large, central location than it is to have 1,000,000 individual power plants. Then there's the matter of emissions on a local level - talk to anyone who lives in a city or along a highway at rush hour, reducing emissions on our local streets and highways is good for everyone. Being able to build tunnels, parking garages, etc. without having to account for vehicle emissions improves logistics and reduces construction costs.

EVs produce more torque and accelerate better than vehicles with ICEs. There are multitudes of functional advantages to an EV over an ICE. Maintenance is easier with EVs as well.

The ability to charge at home, at work, at the store, etc. drastically reduces the need to incorporate fueling stations into your driving routine.

All of that is absolutely progress from my perspective (and I'd imagine most people's perspectives). I love my sports sedan with an ICE, but I'd happily buy an EV when I can get 300+ miles on a charge for a price in line with what I paid in September for my current car.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:35 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is nonsense. Based on your sequential use of "Leftists" and "Virtue Signal," it's abundantly clear where you stand politically. But you can't ignore the benefits of electric vehicles no matter how much you want to chalk them up as just another part of the "liberal agenda."

Politics aside.

Ford has stated that all cars (whatever that means) will be electric by year 2035.

The internal combustion vehicle will be around for a long time. More people, though, will purchase an electric car each year. Will it get to 100%. Doubt it.

Years ago. Each city had shops that would rebuild any size electric motor. Those shops are mostly gone now. Maybe they will come back in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive