Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2021, 02:32 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No one needs any particular technique--you clearly don't know what you're talking about and that's just it.
You keep saying this to me, are you trying to convince yourself
Quote:
You've never towed with a Model X before and yet you would say things like:
I don't have to have ever towed with it to say that.

Quote:
That's not supported by three different links to three different youtube videos: one posted by me, one posted by southernaturelover who isn't exactly the most fervent EV fanatic, and one posted by yourself.
Seems to be, I'll hear you out of you wish to explain. So far you haven't.
Quote:
The last one is a headscratcher because it's either you posted without watching the video or you truly are that confused. And mind you, all three of these videos were posted about an older iteration of the vehicle whereas the post I wrote was about a new Model X.
You keep saying I'm confused how am I confused?

Don't tell me about your experience I don't care, anecdotes are unverifiable and not argumentative.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
There’s a newer Tesla dealer next to Porsche dealer I use, there’s quite a few employee cars parked there all the time and things going on all the time and it’s not just sales. Dealers need to adapt to their current businesses or go out of business.
Yes, that's why there's so much resistance with going EV and going toe to toe against Tesla. It will lead to a lot of closure of dealerships. Because the post sale of EVs is not gonna keep service centers open. As companies transition to EVs, many costly repairs will be a thing of past. A lot of shops make money changing transmissions and various components that have planned failures. With EVs you're only going in for brakes, suspension parts, and tires. There won't be much short interval repairs as ICE cars. Like changing belts, tuneups, oil changes, radiator flushes, and other oil changes will all be a thing of the past.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Yes, that's why there's so much resistance with going EV and going toe to toe against Tesla. It will lead to a lot of closure of dealerships. Because the post sale of EVs is not gonna keep service centers open. As companies transition to EVs, many costly repairs will be a thing of past. A lot of shops make money changing transmissions and various components that have planned failures. With EVs you're only going in for brakes, suspension parts, and tires. There won't be much short interval repairs as ICE cars. Like changing belts, tuneups, oil changes, radiator flushes, and other oil changes will all be a thing of the past.
extremely doubtful there will be plenty of work to do on them machines engineered by people to have a lot of failures and doesn't matter if they're simpler or not. what's going to change is you'll probably pay more for repairs because first off there's going to be the hazard of dealing with so much electrical energy. it's going to cost more because you're also going to have a whole lot more training to work on these things because a false move can kill you.

If you think that you're never going to have any kind of repairs I've got a bridge in New York for sale.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:44 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
There’s still the $100 cabin air filter change scam.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There’s still the $100 cabin air filter change scam.
Rotating tires too.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:12 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I'm s someone in the planet and you aren't speaking for me. Lol try your gaslighting technique on somebody a little more gullible.
Wouldn’t it be electriclighting? Lol

Old 02-03-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Wouldn’t it be electriclighting? Lol
Lol

Old 02-03-2021, 05:14 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Quote:
I don't think so yet. Because the $25k CUV EV has yet to appear. Which Tesla could be announcing. The only thing is we just don't have the infrastructure yet to support 100k EVs on the road each state yet. It will likely cause blackouts in many cities.
Tesla is offering competitive prices at the lower end, but they have an ace up their sleeve to pad margin. The FULL self-driving feature at $10,000. It only has to be developed once, and they get an extra $10,000 for every car it's downloaded to. The feature and hardware are already there. It's just a download and licensing after that.

Sure, there was the initial development cost, but changes after that point are incremental and require much less support and overhead. Tesla is not profitable selling vehicles, anyway. They are only profitable selling their carbon credits to other automakers.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Tesla is offering competitive prices at the lower end, but they have an ace up their sleeve to pad margin. The FULL self-driving feature at $10,000. It only has to be developed once, and they get an extra $10,000 for every car it's downloaded to. The feature and hardware are already there. It's just a download and licensing after that.

Sure, there was the initial development cost, but changes after that point are incremental and require much less support and overhead. Tesla is not profitable selling vehicles, anyway. They are only profitable selling their carbon credits to other automakers.
This would be an interesting start up. With the available model of Tesla a start up software company could duplicate the full self driving feature and likely with substantial improvements. Given a good base...the Tesla software...it is simple to reproduce it with lots of improvements. The Tesla software gives you a very big leg up.

In fact if I were 20 or 30 years younger I would take a flyer at it. I have the needed skills. But unfortunately I could well have trouble lasting the four or five years to make it stick. The grim reaper is running around with a hockey stick trying to trip me already. Sometimes annoying to be old.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:13 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
You keep saying this to me, are you trying to convince yourself
I don't have to have ever towed with it to say that.

Seems to be, I'll hear you out of you wish to explain. So far you haven't.

You keep saying I'm confused how am I confused?

Don't tell me about your experience I don't care, anecdotes are unverifiable and not argumentative.

The Engineering Explained video literally made the calculation for you of a Model X towing full capacity going over 100 miles at highway speeds of 65 miles per hour even with a mile of elevation climb let alone a net flat trip. How is that not a direct contradiction of your blanket statement saying that towing full capacity on the Model X would only net 60 miles of range? It also then did the calculation for you for when the Model X has no load, and wow, gee whiz, it was about a halving of range with a 1 mile climb at 75 mph between towing and not towing. It also went on to say from the beginning and at the end of the video that he was talking about then current EVs and that these would improve as the technology improved. He made that video in 2019 and it's 2021 and there has been new versions of the Model X released with some modest improvements, but even with his calculations based on the older vehicle both of your statements are wrong. And mind you, this is a video that you picked and cited as proof

So what are the possibilities here? You didn't bother to actually look at the video you posted? You couldn't understand it? You do understand it and are playing some three dimensional chess to make people who say inaccurate statements about EVs being bad look particularly ridiculous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive