Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 06:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, and the end result of actually looking at the research is that current EVs have inclement weather penalties that make them still easily able to cover the average daily drive. And, as the DOE and EPA also show, stop and go driving even in inclement NYC winter weather will likely still have better range than highway driving in inclement NYC winter weather simply because stop and go driving penalties and winter weather penalties from spending more time to cover any particular route still work out better than the larger aerodynamic drag penalties incurred at higher speeds since that penalty increases by a square of velocity.

It does help to know a little bit about what you're posting when you post links to studies. WLTP range is usually more generous than EPA ratings. I already mentioned the lowest range EV in that test that's available in the US (base Nissan Leaf) having 130 miles of Swedish winter range compared to its 151 mile EPA rating. Next one up is the BMW i3 with a 310 km WLTP range and getting about 245 km in this Swedish winter range test. Convert that to miles and you're talking 152 mile range in this Swedish winter test. What's the EPA range on the i3? 153 miles EPA range. So, again, this is still very much usable for the vast majority of US daily vehicle usage for the vast majority of the vehicle.

You're not getting an EV partially because of cold weather issues and the price--that's totally understandable. Even when these reach price parity with equivalent ICE vehicles for new purchases, the used market might take a while to catch on. What's more, you live in an area with incredibly cold winters which give ICE vehicles a comparative bonus of sorts since the giant amount of waste heat from its inefficiency is actually put to decent use pretty often, so it'd be hard to believe that there'll be an EV affordable and useful enough to be a better bet than an ICE vehicle for you within this decade. However, this is a pretty unique scenario that you're in.
I am not buying an EV, for the same reasons that I am not buying an ICE automobile. My reasons are as follows:

a. The three ICE vehicles in my household (one of my wife, and two of mine) are in relatively good shape, and I haven't spent much on maintenance other than oil changes and things like that.

b. I am frugal for certain things, specially automobiles. I don't buy new, pay cash for these, and intend to drive them for the longest periods of time possible. My wife tells me that she is keeping the 2010 RAV4 V6 for another 14 years The 2005 Silverado already shows 211,600 miles on the odometer, and while not shown, the motor has countless hours of idling. I haven't driven the 2012 Corolla since I retired in September last year, although I start the motor (with the remote) and let it idle fro 18 minutes to keep the battery top charged. I just don't need another vehicle, thus the reason why I don't buy one.

-The Corolla does not burn much fuel
-The Silverado burns enough fuel, but since I buy at a $1.00 per gallon discount, it is not an issue for me.

As for EV, it is true that it would make no sense for me to own one, unless I would take it out of the garage for a Sunday drive around Fairbanks. In other words, it would be much like a luxury, or perhaps an occasional pastime. I spend a lot of hours on winter nights talking photos of the Auroras, and during the day taking photos of the local sled-dog races. During the summer I take long drives on my truck and spend lots of hours talking photos of wildlife and things like that, and then sleep in the back of my truck during the night along isolated roads (the truck has a topper).

Just a couple of nights ago when taking photos of the Auroras, I had to keep the truck idling for about 2-1/2 hours in order to keep the cab warm, but on colder nights I often let it idle longer than that. I would be concerned should I have an older (remember that I buy old and cash) EV turned on with the heater at full blast for hours at a time on an isolated road, but again, the main reason for not having one is because I don't need another vehicle.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:53 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I am not buying an EV, for the same reasons that I am not buying an ICE automobile. My reasons are as follows:

a. The three ICE vehicles in my household (one of my wife, and two of mine) are in relatively good shape, and I haven't spent much on maintenance other than oil changes and things like that.

b. I am frugal for certain things, specially automobiles. I don't buy new, pay cash for these, and intend to drive them for the longest periods of time possible. My wife tells me that she is keeping the 2010 RAV4 V6 for another 14 years The 2005 Silverado already shows 211,600 miles on the odometer, and while not shown, the motor has countless hours of idling. I haven't driven the 2012 Corolla since I retired in September last year, although I start the motor (with the remote) and let it idle fro 18 minutes to keep the battery top charged. I just don't need another vehicle, thus the reason why I don't buy one.

-The Corolla does not burn much fuel
-The Silverado burns enough fuel, but since I buy at a $1.00 per gallon discount, it is not an issue for me.

As for EV, it is true that it would make no sense for me to own one, unless I would take it out of the garage for a Sunday drive around Fairbanks. In other words, it would be much like a luxury, or perhaps an occasional pastime. I spend a lot of hours on winter nights talking photos of the Auroras, and during the day taking photos of the local sled-dog races. During the summer I take long drives on my truck and spend lots of hours talking photos of wildlife and things like that, and then sleep in the back of my truck during the night along isolated roads (the truck has a topper).

Just a couple of nights ago when taking photos of the Auroras, I had to keep the truck idling for about 2-1/2 hours in order to keep the cab warm, but on colder nights I often let it idle longer than that. I would be concerned should I have an older (remember that I buy old and cash) EV turned on with the heater at full blast for hours at a time on an isolated road, but again, the main reason for not having one is because I don't need another vehicle.

That honestly sounds like a pretty idyllic existence. Are you doing that while working or are you retired? It sounds awesome.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That honestly sounds like a pretty idyllic existence. Are you doing that while working or are you retired? It sounds awesome.
Now that I am retired I am more relaxed, but this is my second retirement (20 and then 25 years of work). My wife wants to work around five more years, however.

On my last job I worked 40-50 hours 4 days per week, and used the 3-day weekends to take photos and things like that during the winter. During the summer months, during the weekends and other days off I would take photos of wildlife, engaged in metal detecting, salmon fishing, camping, moose hunting, and so on. This summer I plan to replace several windows of the house , so I will be quite busy once the snow melts. We still have a little over 2 feet of snow in the backyard, and about 16" on one side of the roof, but it is melting fast. The temperature drops to perhaps 20-30 degrees at night, and then rises to the 40's on sunny days. By June we should have nearly 24 hours of daylight.

Here is one for you to enjoy:

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-22-2021 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 05:50 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Now that I am retired I am more relaxed, but this is my second retirement (20 and then 25 years of work). My wife wants to work around five more years, however.

On my last job I worked 40-50 hours 4 days per week, and used the 3-day weekends to take photos and things like that during the winter. During the summer months, during the weekends and other days off I would take photos of wildlife, engaged in metal detecting, salmon fishing, camping, moose hunting, and so on. This summer I plan to replace several windows of the house , so I will be quite busy once the snow melts. We still have a little over 2 feet of snow in the backyard, and about 16" on one side of the roof, but it is melting fast. The temperature drops to perhaps 20-30 degrees at night, and then rises to the 40's on sunny days. By June we should have nearly 24 hours of daylight.

Here is one for you to enjoy:

I've always wondered what this looks like in real life--I really can't tell if beautiful pictures such as yours are under or over promising what this is like, but it definitely looks beautiful. Congrats on having capped off on long careers and reaping what look to be rich rewards!

Old 04-22-2021, 05:52 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Never gonna see that in FL. But did one time back in 1990 with a red glow to the north.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered what this looks like in real life--I really can't tell if beautiful pictures such as yours are under or over promising what this is like, but it definitely looks beautiful. Congrats on having capped off on long careers and reaping what look to be rich rewards!
Thank you. I appreciate your words.

Watching the Auroras is almost incredible. Those streaks of light are moving on the sky (people say that they are dancing), sometimes at high speed, and keep on changing shapes all the time. The problem is that a photo only shows a still version of it, so most of its beauty is missed. The night I took the photo above, the whole sky was covered with the dancing lights.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Never gonna see that in FL. But did one time back in 1990 with a red glow to the north.
One night the early '80s while working on military aircraft in Northern NY, the Auroras could be seen illuminating the Sky.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Most of these are time-lapse photos shown as videos from the University Of Alaska in Fairbanks:
https://www.sciencefriday.com/videos...rthern-lights/

Old 04-23-2021, 09:26 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The oil industry is scared. Here in California the fossil fuel companies are sponsoring a television ad that says that the state will kill thousands of jobs if fracking and drilling are prohibited in the state, that adopting electric cars will cost taxpayers billions, 20% more electric capacity will be needed and EVs will cause more "rolling blackouts."
Update: the "more rolling blackouts" anti-EV television ad, paid for and run by the Western States Petroleum Assn., has been replaced by a new one. The new ad says rents will go up as millions of landlords and apartment owners will be forced to install charging stations, and utility bills will go up as utilities add more infrastructure "even if you don't drive an electric car." Ad shows a lonely woman at a bus stop, implying that her cost of living is so high she can't afford to drive and is forced to take the bus.

So, how does this tie into the "tipping point"? We must be at or near the tipping point on EV adoption if the oil industry consider it such a threat they have to pay for TV ads to build public opposition to it.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:36 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Update: the "more rolling blackouts" anti-EV television ad, paid for and run by the Western States Petroleum Assn., has been replaced by a new one. The new ad says rents will go up as millions of landlords and apartment owners will be forced to install charging stations, and utility bills will go up as utilities add more infrastructure "even if you don't drive an electric car." Ad shows a lonely woman at a bus stop, implying that her cost of living is so high she can't afford to drive and is forced to take the bus.

So, how does this tie into the "tipping point"? We must be at or near the tipping point on EV adoption if the oil industry consider it such a threat they have to pay for TV ads to build public opposition to it.
I already tipped over and gave up on gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive