Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2022, 03:20 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
That seamless will be a ways out, if it ever gets there. They're just too expensive, for the range you get. Figure whatever your range is, 80% of that is your actual range. You shouldnt take it below that, or rapid charge to often. Charging as you drive is the only way I would even consider buying one. Wait until the Chinese EV's start showing up. Cheaper in more ways than one. The Walmart of vehicles.
If this were a situation where you had no access to charging at home and so you always needed to go elsewhere to charge and wait, then yea, that can be very annoying.

If you have charging at home, then with the median range being where it is, talking about starting off with about 200 miles every day, if keeping to a 80% top limit on the battery pack on normal days, for a lot of people is more than enough and is likely to be more convenient and cost-effective than making a stop at a gas station in which case it's better than seamless since it's not more of the same--instead, it's better, with only occasional but potentially never, needing to take a dedicated "refueling" stop.

People definitely, and regularly, take their battery packs to below 80%. Using only the top 20% of the battery pack going from 100% to 80% is actually not a great idea in a few ways. I think you mean to say something along the lines that you shouldn't keep it at near empty or full for long periods of time which is true, unless you have a LFP battery like the standard range Model 3 which generally take full charges pretty well.

Rapid charging, unless you're using a Leaf, has apparently had a pretty small affect on battery longevity going bby the data we have so far from EVs with active thermal management (essentially every mass production four-wheeled highway legal EV in the US save for the Leaf).

Not sure what you mean by charging as you drive as the only way. People use gas vehicles just fine without refueling while driving. Do you mean something like you don't have a pathway to having charging at home, so you can only charge when you're out and about? In that case, yea, it's probably not yet a good idea to switch to EVs for you unless there was some other place you regularly go to that has chargers and you're at those places for the frequency and lengths of time that give you enough of a charge to fit your driving habits.

Anyhow, we've supposedly reached that tipping point that about a dozen countries have reached at some point in the past several years where there was fairly steady and somewhat rapid growth of plugin new vehicle market share. That seems to have happened in places that are quite different from each other and is oddly analogous to the adoption of other technologies, so I think there's a pretty decent chance that plugins in the US will follow that course.

I'm actually hoping the US automakers, including the new ones, are able to find ways to stake a decent global market share and export. The last few decades has seen US automakers, save for some success in China (who knew Buick was going to be so aspirational), falling behind or even leaving many global markets. GM pulled out of Europe and Australia in fairly recent times, Ford does okay in Europe, but not great, Chrysler had to fall back to being a junior partner of an Italian company that then merged with a French one, European automakers have put in a lot of effort in Latin American markets, and Japanese, and lately South Korean, automakers have pushed and heavily dominated the rapidly growing southeast Asian markets. Meanwhile, aside from pickups as the chicken tax that allowed US automakers to keep an edge by dedicating themselves to pickup trucks along with some interesting preferential tax treatment for pickups, the US market has had a large share of it gobbled by Japanese and South Korean automakers from the mass market end and Germans and Japanese automakers on the premium end. Tesla, a US automaker, has weirdly bucked that and has made some previously unthinkable inroads on the premium segments of multiple markets of developed countries including the US as well as in China (though, to be fair, GM has done a pretty great job in China as well). I think the question is if there's going to be the ability for a US automaker(s) to also make inroads via EVs to lower segments of the markets as well. I wouldn't be that surprised if GM is able to do so given how solid the Bolt is (save for the terrible issue with its battery supplier and which GM did the right thing in trying to remedy) and how well GM's EV ventures in China are doing (the Wuling Mini is the best selling EV in China by far). I also wouldn't be surprised if the automakers that should be afraid of Chinese automakers is primarily Japanese ones as I think the southeast Asian market is going to be a major target for them.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-15-2022 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-15-2022, 05:03 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Even in this nutso age, I can still find a pretty decent used-car for under $5k.

Someone who thinks a Tesla 3 is not expensive, well they probably are in a different
economic-class than most Americans.

And yes, the fact remains, even if EV enthusiasts deny it, range and charge-time
are big issues for most drivers. People who are used to driving a car, that can be refueled in 5 or so minutes, and go 200 or more miles........big step down in convenience with an EV.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:15 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
You seem to forget that all of us were used to those same parameters over decades of driving ice cars. When we tell you EV’s are more convenient, it’s because we know the truth from experience.

I haven’t been to a gas station in months. No time lost fueling my car for any of my regular driving needs. It happens in my garage as I sleep. I drive 1250-1500 miles every month at a cost of about $90.

Three road trips so far. All three together maybe 3:30 total charging time. Total cost $155, 1722 miles.

Only regret? Giving in to my wife to take her car when we drove to NC. Cost me $210 in gas. What a waste of money.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-15-2022, 05:51 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You seem to forget that all of us were used to those same parameters over decades of driving ice cars. When we tell you EV’s are more convenient, it’s because we know the truth from experience.

I haven’t been to a gas station in months. No time lost fueling my car for any of my regular driving needs. It happens in my garage as I sleep. I drive 1250-1500 miles every month at a cost of about $90.

Three road trips so far. All three together maybe 3:30 total charging time. Total cost $155, 1722 miles.

Only regret? Giving in to my wife to take her car when we drove to NC. Cost me $210 in gas. What a waste of money.
Last time i got gas las was in March of 2021 when it was 3.75 a gal for prem for my 2021 Camaro that got 8mpg in the city kitty. Only cost me $6 a month to drive my EV.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:58 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Call me skeptical.....the insane price of most EVs, too long to recharge, range issues.

Lot more work to be done, maybe some day, maybe.
Exactly.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:04 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Last time i got gas las was in March of 2021 when it was 3.75 a gal for prem for my 2021 Camaro that got 8mpg in the city kitty. Only cost me $6 a month to drive my EV.
Mine is about to drop, but $6? Wow!

My electric company is paying for homes to upgrade service and install chargers. Imagine gas companies doing that? Lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-15-2022, 06:12 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:

Without read through the thread what EV do you drive? How much do you drive and what’s your electricity cost? 6.00 even at a very low kWh rate and no delivery or tax seems really low or relatively little driving.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
That seems awfully low.

In Pennsylvania I pay 12.358 cents per kWh, so $6 would purchase 48.55 kWh of electricity. A Chevy Bolt takes 29 kWh per 100 miles, so it would cost me 29*12.358 cents or $3.584 to drive for 100 miles in a Chevy Bolt

Now granted that is pretty low fuel costs as even very fuel efficient non-hybrids take at least 3 gallons of gasoline to drive 100 miles. Only a handful of hybrids can drive 100 miles on less than 2 gallons of gasoline. My older compact car takes 5 gallons.

You are either getting your electricity for free or you barely drive or you are riding a scooter. More than likely you are simply calculating wrong.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:05 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I drive 50 miles a week. Not sure what the rate it. It's a 2020 Bolt. Nothing wrong at all with my figs jack. My bills never changed since i had the EV.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:42 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Electric Vehicles Close to ‘Tipping Point’ of Mass Adoption

Starting to look that way. No, it won't be 100% and ICE motors won't be extinct. But the train has left the station and it ain't coming back; automakers are just about fully invested in EV's now.

"Global sales rose 43% in 2020, but even faster growth is anticipated when continuing falls in battery prices bring the price of electric cars dipping below that of equivalent petrol and diesel models, even without subsidies. The latest analyses forecast that to happen some time between 2023 and 2025."

When "peak oil" happens it won't be due to declining production, it'll be from declining demand.
Honestly, I'm surprised how quickly EV adoption as spread over the last year or so. I still believe that eventually lack of infrastructure will become an issue (temporarily) and slow things down. It seems like Tesla has the whole charging station thing figured out. Everyone else, not so much. It's not just the dearth of stations, it's that some EVs are finicky and won't charge at certain stations, many stations are in a perpetual non-functioning condition, and there is the easily solvable of problem charging stations being "ICEd" (non-EVs parking the charging spaces), preventing EV access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive