Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2022, 07:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times

Advertisements

[quote=LKJ1988;63809014No way i am paying over $3.20 a gal pal for prem LET ALONE $5+.[/QUOTE]

Ok so what is your option?

Old 07-17-2022, 09:09 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Default Drag Race

The Dodge Charger Jailbreak Edition is powered by a ridiculous 6.2 liter supercharged hemi engine putting out 807HP and 707 lb-ft of torque, and it is insanely fast. And yet, when put against a Lucid Air GT Performance (EV) in a straight line race, it's not even remotely close - the "electron burner" pulls away like the Jailbreak is standing still. This, despite the fact that the Lucid is ~ 600lb heavier and was carry an extra person who weighs about 200lb - an 800lb penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2_9-P7P4eI

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-17-2022 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-18-2022, 12:16 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I drive 50 miles a week. Not sure what the rate it. It's a 2020 Bolt. Nothing wrong at all with my figs jack. My bills never changed since i had the EV.
You are barely using the vehicle. Running an average 33W fan 24/7 uses 24 kWh of electricity per month, and you are only using 90 kWh per month on your Chevy Bolt.

Of course 50 miles a week is very low amount of driving as the average American vehicle is driven roughly 290 miles per week.

My calculation is it would cost me $1.79 per week to run a Chevy Bolt for 50 miles per week.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:52 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Ok so what is your option?
I got a EV way back. No more options to worry about. If gas goes sub $3 a gal pal for prem and stays there for 3 years i will get another Vette.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You are barely using the vehicle. Running an average 33W fan 24/7 uses 24 kWh of electricity per month, and you are only using 90 kWh per month on your Chevy Bolt.

Of course 50 miles a week is very low amount of driving as the average American vehicle is driven roughly 290 miles per week.

My calculation is it would cost me $1.79 per week to run a Chevy Bolt for 50 miles per week.
It would cost me $130 a month if i kept my 2021 Camaro that got 8mpg in the city kitty.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The Dodge Charger Jailbreak Edition is powered by a ridiculous 6.2 liter supercharged hemi engine putting out 807HP and 707 lb-ft of torque, and it is insanely fast. And yet, when put against a Lucid Air GT Performance (EV) in a straight line race, it's not even remotely close - the "electron burner" pulls away like the Jailbreak is standing still. This, despite the fact that the Lucid is ~ 600lb heavier and was carry an extra person who weighs about 200lb - an 800lb penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2_9-P7P4eI
Should be 6.4.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:57 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Should be 6.4.
6.4 what Rhet?

Old 07-18-2022, 09:15 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Even in this nutso age, I can still find a pretty decent used-car for under $5k.

Someone who thinks a Tesla 3 is not expensive, well they probably are in a different
economic-class than most Americans.

And yes, the fact remains, even if EV enthusiasts deny it, range and charge-time
are big issues for most drivers. People who are used to driving a car, that can be refueled in 5 or so minutes, and go 200 or more miles........big step down in convenience with an EV.
Yea, a new vehicle, regardless of powertrain, in the US is going to cost a lot more than $5K. The thing is, all pretty decent used cars at one point started out as new vehicles, so if there aren't that many new EVs being sold in the previous years, then you're not going to have a very robust used vehicle market. The tipping point referred to in the OP's post is for new vehicles--but at some point those new vehicles will become used vehicles and also enter the market so it's important to note when new EVs start having a larger proportion of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised how quickly EV adoption as spread over the last year or so. I still believe that eventually lack of infrastructure will become an issue (temporarily) and slow things down. It seems like Tesla has the whole charging station thing figured out. Everyone else, not so much. It's not just the dearth of stations, it's that some EVs are finicky and won't charge at certain stations, many stations are in a perpetual non-functioning condition, and there is the easily solvable of problem charging stations being "ICEd" (non-EVs parking the charging spaces), preventing EV access.
I think the lack of infrastructure is a more minor limiting constraint compared to the supply chain and general availability of EVs. EVs, as opposed to petroleum ICE vehicles or hydrogen fuel cell/ICE vehicles, have the ability to charge at home or wherever the grid is present. This can even be with standard wall sockets depending on the vehicle and use case. Upgrading to a level 2 charger at home or even work isn't generally that large of a cost compared to that of a new vehicle, and as most EV owners know, the vast majority of charging is done at home. That's a good half of the vehicle owning households in the US that have a pretty direct pathway to charging at home, and that's likely the first half of EV new vehicle adoption rate rather than those who don't. In that time period where it gets to the point where most of the households with a pathway to charging at home move to EVs, there's going to be a pretty good amount of time to install public charging for when those people are away from home and then for people who do not have access to charging at home.

Keep in mind that installing of level 2 charging stations is quite cheap compared to EVs and a single overnight or over the work day charge for most people and EVs is enough to cover the average week or two of driving and meanwhile fast chargers are improving and are likely cheaper overall to build and operate than gas stations (plus there's a real profit motive there), so I don't think that's going to be that much of an issue. Instead, it's going to be an issue of a lot of automakers having been caught off guard about how quickly EVs have improved and thus how adoption rates are going up. It's not that there isn't enough raw battery material out there--it's that it takes years to get these material sources up and running and the demand went up faster than a lot of people and companies predicted, so there's a bit of a squeeze there on prices and availability and that seems likely to be the main limiting factor for today and for the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And, believe it or not, that one stop to charge is really a deal breaker, at least for me. It reminds me of the days many years ago when we had trucks that couldn't make the trip without a gas stop.

I really want to see advancements in EV tech, since i'm done with diesels, i'd love the torque of an EV for towing.

Yea, I believe that it can be a dealbreaker. I think with talking about the larger market and new vehicle sales, the question is to how large of the vehicle buying public that's a dealbreaker. There are a lot of other nice trade-offs from the EV like the torque as you mentioned, more packaging flexibility (allowing for things like large lockable storage like the frunk, and likely much lower operating costs. That's to be weighed against things like the frequency of having to charge on long trips and the length of time to do so, and those are being improved so for a lot of of people, there's likely going to be a decent proportion who don't tow large loads long distances at all so this isn't much of a factor and then out of those people who do, a proportion where the number of stops and charging time is a fine enough trade-off for the other benefits. At some point though, possibly within a decade of now, there isn't even going to be that trade-off at all as those attributes are quickly improving ones of EVs.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:34 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...e-fca01dc40cc4

This story most likely doesn’t apply to all makes and models but does present a long held perception liability against EVs. Teenage girl gets a 2014 Ford Focus EV with 60,000 miles. The battery has completely died and was first told the purchase of a new battery (not including installation cost) was $3,000 more than what they paid for the vehicle. Now they’re told they don’t even make that battery anymore.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:13 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...e-fca01dc40cc4

This story most likely doesn’t apply to all makes and models but does present a long held perception liability against EVs. Teenage girl gets a 2014 Ford Focus EV with 60,000 miles. The battery has completely died and was first told the purchase of a new battery (not including installation cost) was $3,000 more than what they paid for the vehicle. Now they’re told they don’t even make that battery anymore.

First, the Focus EV was a 1st generation compliance car, not a real EV (i.e. ground up design) and had little support from Ford at the time. It does have an 8 year, 100k mile warranty. But, and this is important, a 2014 model is 8 years old (almost 9) at this point and MOST car warranties are gone by that point. Other than Teslas and early Leafs, most of the EVs of that time period were converted gasoline cars with short warranties and small batteries and all of them will be out of warranty by now or will be shortly. MOST are still going strong, but a lot of those early compliance cars were not well engineered and used inferior, early development battery packs. The Focus, especially, was really poorly engineered as an EV. I drove one early on and there was nothing to redeem it. It only had an 80 mile range, new, and the battery took up all of the trunk space (it actually had a split battery with half in the area where the fuel tank went and the other half in the lower hatch area meaning almost no cargo room)

But yes, they make that battery. The part number is #10B795 and it's on Ford's own website for $12,500. I do believe they are required by law to supply parts for at least 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive