Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2022, 08:11 AM

1,489 posts, read 792,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I find the big brother factor even more dangerous, as this brand removes all your privacy.
Please explain.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:43 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I find the big brother factor even more dangerous, as this brand removes all your privacy.
Hate to break it to you, but any car with an internet connection or anything like OnStar is just as vulnerable.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-30-2022, 11:25 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Please explain.

6 cameras, including one watching you; safety score apps for insurance etc.
Other issues include the inability to fix your own car, one must call someone to change a tire; you are condemned to roadside assistance.
Also, Tesla in Canada at least is opening charging stations to all EV's; that'll create some long lines.
And, switching to EV's period is going to place a lot more stress on an already stressed electrical grid.
Who is to say the savings EV owners are getting now will be there in the future?.
Electricity could become quite a bit more expensive.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:59 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Hate to break it to you, but any car with an internet connection or anything like OnStar is just as vulnerable.

Not really, since when compared to Tesla, the OnStar has no control over your car (cannot be remotely controlling your car like accelerating or braking), does not have cameras and all the sensors, cannot disable you car - so not the same.

We have heard of hacked Tesla cars

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywi...h=128fd37f7245

but none that has been hacked and controlled by OnStar.

Also imagine Big Brother if he wants to watch you - a lot easier with a Tesla (6 cameras) and other EVs than with a good old ICE.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:17 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Sorry PM! I was just kidding a bit, hence the smilies and the wink following.
Occasionally I would actually ride my bicycle to work.
I thought you were kidding, but I know some people take the answer as serious, so I gave a serious answer.

I was on business on one side of the country and I had a wedding to go to the next day. I tried to fly a short distance for my wedding, and return froma nearby airport. My travel office made so many threats and surcharges that I gave up, flew across the country and then left from the same airport back across the entire country on a personal ticket to satisfy the bean counters. I was very exhausted at the wedding.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:18 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
EV's are going to become more and more popular, until the grid hits it's tipping point of overwhelming. Then, it'll be discovered that the ICE wasn't so bad in the first place.

Think about weather events to come. (Not just the flooding/storms from Vegas to Boston, currently.) Those poor folks are going to need to learn to ride horseback, if they want to visit the Piggly-Wiggly, that's likely CLOSED too....

Old 07-30-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
EV's are going to become more and more popular, until the grid hits it's tipping point of overwhelming. Then, it'll be discovered that the ICE wasn't so bad in the first place.
The widespread adoption of EVs is not predicted to increase electric energy consumption nearly as much as the widespread adoption of air conditioning and electric hearing 50 years ago. Also remember that EVs are expected to be charged mostly at night, and current electrical plants produce only 40% of nameplate capacity 24/7. So it largely might be a matter of increasing the capacity factor.
  • kWh per person per month in the United States
  • 1,008 2020
  • 1,018 1990
  • 842 1980
  • 629 1970
  • 353 1960
  • 184 1950

A Chevy Bolt requires 280 kWh to drive for 1000 miles.

A 900 MW 'water battery' that cost Switzerland €2 billion and was under construction for 14 years, is now operational, but overall most electricity is used as it is generated. So a better match of round the clock consumption will mean that new plants don't have to be built except for more renewables generation.

California and Hawaii have some of the lowest electricity production in the nation, so it is somewhat ironic that the rate of EV adoption is highest in these states. I'm not saying the process will be painless or easy, but your apocalyptic predictions don't seem justified.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-30-2022 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-30-2022, 04:41 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
Will cheap used electric cars be available for first time drivers or those with low income? If so will it happen when batteries cost less than a $1000 to replace? Or will it have to be cheaper than a grand to replace when it comes to used vehicles?

Old 07-30-2022, 04:46 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Not really, since when compared to Tesla, the OnStar has no control over your car (cannot be remotely controlling your car like accelerating or braking), does not have cameras and all the sensors, cannot disable you car - so not the same.

We have heard of hacked Tesla cars

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywi...h=128fd37f7245

but none that has been hacked and controlled by OnStar.

Also imagine Big Brother if he wants to watch you - a lot easier with a Tesla (6 cameras) and other EVs than with a good old ICE.
You could’ve dropped this random list of “I hate progress” nonsense anywhere. Little of it is remotely related to my comment.

And who told you Tesla owners can’t change the tires themselves? Where do you guys get this crap?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-30-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Will cheap used electric cars be available for first time drivers or those with low income? If so will it happen when batteries cost less than a $1000 to replace? Or will it have to be cheaper than a grand to replace when it comes to used vehicles?
Well I don't think that any battery will ever cost less than $1000 to replace.

The really low power gasoline cars don't sell very well. Even first time buyers and low income people are more likely to purchase a used car. The first-generation Honda Civic debuted in North America in 1972 with roughly 50 hp, and the Accord was launched on 7 May 1976, as a three-door hatchback with 68 hp, so in theory we could regress without talking about the four horseman of the apocalypse.
  • Mitsubushi Mirage- 78 hp,
  • Hyundai Accent - 120 hp,
  • Kia Rio - 120 hp,
  • Toyota Prius - 121 hp,
  • Nissan Versa -122 hp

The next power group up sells reasonably well for a certain group of buyers. Not just first time drivers or those with low income, but other buyers who don't place a high priority on vehicles. They just need basic transportation.
  • Kia Forte - 147 hp
  • Hyundai Elantra - 147 hp
  • Hyundai Kona - 147 hp
  • Nissan Sentra - 149 hp
  • Subaru Impreza - 152 hp
  • Subaru Crosstrek - 152 hp
  • Mazda3 - 155 hp
  • Honda Civic - 158 hp
  • Toyota Corolla - 160 hp

Right now the lowest priced EV is 2023 Nissan LEAF/MSRP From $27,800 because it comes with $7,500 tax incentive. But it is still not popular because the 151 mile range makes it impractical for even a trip of 300 miles one way.

The lowest MSRP is the 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EV/MSRP From $25,600 had a more practical 259 mile range. If congress restores the $7500 tax incentive to GM this vehicle will be more affordable than most gasoline vehicles (assuming you have a garage and can install 240V connection).

Obviously at present the market of used EVs is very small, but I don't know if in ten years the EVs as a whole will be much less affordable than present day gasoline vehicles.

I am not an optimist on infrastructure for EVs outside of single family homes with garages. I think people come to blows over parking spaces carved out after snow storms. I don't think people will share EV chargers very well. Personally, I think automakers will be selling hybrid gasoline cars in 2050. But I also think the poor will be increasingly forced into public transportation.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-30-2022 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive