Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 05:07 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times

Advertisements

Just crazy to pay 65k+ for the new EV Blazer with 557hp. For than kind of money i can thinking of something much better.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:21 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I like the Teslas, but this car is flat out dangerous with its power. I hope you trust your friend’s abilities to drive reasonably.
He's been racing a small tired 1400hp low 7 second Camaro for the last decade, so , not worried about it.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think one thing to consider is that the industry doesn't turn on a dime since it takes years to get the plants tooled up and ready to start production. The thing is, that's exactly what's been happening over the last several years: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...v-plant-plans/

There are a lot of battery production plants under way and soon to debut if they haven't already. There are also EV production plants either wholly new or converted from ICE production plants. EVs as with vehicles in general, have been having some supply issues, but as those supply chain issues get resolved, they'll be getting resolved in an environment with a lot more EV production capacity.

I do wonder though about the affects on gas prices mass adoption on a global level will have. One of the driving forces behind switching to EV is gas prices and every single mile driven with an EV in lieu of a mile driven by an ICE vehicle is a little less supply used. Now, of course, that's certainly not the only advantage of EVs and part of the EV advantage isn't just in commodity price of gas but also in how EVs are far more efficient, but I imagine it'd have to have some effect on gas prices over the course of this decade.

I've been looking at the Cadillac Lyriq lately and I'm liking where GM is going with Cadillac. At the very least, going with actual vehicle names rather than an alphabet soup is to my preference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkZKGUVwRaA
The wife and I were talking about those. GM has done a great job with it. Looking forward to the new EV Blazer, and EV Equinox as well. Her lease comes up early next year so we are thinking of what to replace it with.

We are torn though. We want a full size SUV, and can't swing one of those and a new EV at the same time. So, who knows.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The wife and I were talking about those. GM has done a great job with it. Looking forward to the new EV Blazer, and EV Equinox as well. Her lease comes up early next year so we are thinking of what to replace it with.

We are torn though. We want a full size SUV, and can't swing one of those and a new EV at the same time. So, who knows.

How big of a vehicle do you need? There are some sizable electric SUVs coming out within the next year or two.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How big of a vehicle do you need? There are some sizable electric SUVs coming out within the next year or two.
We are looking at a Suburban XL or will be waiting for the extended length version of the Jeep Wagoneer.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The Dodge Charger Jailbreak Edition is powered by a ridiculous 6.2 liter supercharged hemi engine putting out 807HP and 707 lb-ft of torque, and it is insanely fast. And yet, when put against a Lucid Air GT Performance (EV) in a straight line race, it's not even remotely close - the "electron burner" pulls away like the Jailbreak is standing still. This, despite the fact that the Lucid is ~ 600lb heavier and was carry an extra person who weighs about 200lb - an 800lb penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2_9-P7P4eI
The average EV can accelerate faster than the average ICE automobile. Where the extra HP makes a difference is a few seconds later. Take a look at this:
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar194082.html

Keep in mind that Formula E (FE) are Electric race cars, and where the most advancements in EV technology is taking place these days (lost of sponsors). FE racing is becoming popular too:
https://montrealgrandprix.com/news/f...formula-races/

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-21-2022 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 04:59 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Kia will have the EV9 out next year. It's a "nearly full size" (Telluride sized) SUV EV. I'm going to be looking seriously. My issue with the Lyric and Blazer is relatively slow charging speed (190kV) vs Hyundai/Kia or Tesla. It would be one thing if it had some out in 2018, but not competitive for a new vehicle.

ETA, missed that you were planning on a Suburban, not even close to comparable, Sub is a lot more vehicle.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-27-2022 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 06:13 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Kia will have the EV9 out next year. It's a "nearly full size" (Telluride sized) SUV EV. I'm going to be looking seriously. My issue with the Lyric and Blazer is relatively slow charging speed (190kV) vs Hyundai/Kia or Tesla. It would be one thing if it had some out in 2018, but not competitive for a new vehicle.

ETA, missed that you were planning on a Suburban, not even close to comparable, Sub is a lot more vehicle.
The Rivian R1S looks awesome, but pricey starting in the 70’s. Not sure if it’s big enough for you, though. Will also have to wait for a while.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:23 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,744,949 times
EV credits might start again, helping with the high prices of EVs. Although not if brands just raise the price further so that the credit doesn't make any difference:

Senate moves forward with EV tax credit reform; Tesla (TSLA) to be included back and more
https://electrek.co/2022/07/27/senat...rm-tesla-tsla/

Old 07-29-2022, 12:54 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
EV credits might start again, helping with the high prices of EVs. Although not if brands just raise the price further so that the credit doesn't make any difference:
I think there is enough competition now that it will be much harder to simply raise your price. The Polestar II is almost exactly the same price as the Tesla Model 3, but Tesla's tax credit has expired while Polestar's has not. If Tesla's tax credit is restored they will be financially competitive, but not if Tesla raises their price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive