Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 09:36 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My point was that the a/c doesn't use all that much power.
My point was that it does use some. I'm driving uphill uses more energy than driving over flat surfaces. And the more energy you use the less range you have.

I'm not arguing with you.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:42 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
My point was that it does use some. I'm driving uphill uses more energy than driving over flat surfaces. And the more energy you use the less range you have.

I'm not arguing with you.
So does the LED dome light, but it’s negligible like the windshield wipers, therefore not worth mentioning.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
Reason that the EV is unpopular in many rural cold weather areas of the nation, is that at 20 degrees, the range drops 41%. And as it drops lower as we often experience in our area, it drops more and more and more.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/10/1...r-polar-vortex

Add in some mountain driving, down, down, down.

We live in a very prosperous small town, that is above median wage income for nation, and almost no unemployment. However to go shopping it is 100 mile round trip plus around town miles one direction, and 120 the other direction. We are not in an area of EV popularity I assure you.

Only 42% of Americans can use EVs.

https://carsurance.net/blog/electric-cars-statistics/

Old 04-19-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
So does the LED dome light, but it’s negligible like the windshield wipers, therefore not worth mentioning.
If you don't think it's worth mentioning you don't have to mention it I can say whatever I want whether you think it's worth it or not.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Reason that the EV is unpopular in many rural cold weather areas of the nation, is that at 20 degrees, the range drops 41%. And as it drops lower as we often experience in our area, it drops more and more and more.

We live in a very prosperous small town, that is above median wage income for nation, and almost no unemployment. However to go shopping it is 100 mile round trip plus around town miles one direction, and 120 the other direction. We are not in an area of EV popularity I assure you.

The reason why I don't want one is I don't want to worry about range I don't have to with gasoline powered car there's gas stations everywhere and it takes a few minutes to fill up.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

If that were the case, I would not be able to make it to Vail from Denver, yet somehow I can.

Oh wait, I noticed this at the bottom of your article: In a statement, a Tesla spokesperson disputed AAA’s findings: “Based on real-world data from our fleet, which includes millions of long trips taken by real Model S customers, we know with certainty that, even when using heating and air conditioning, the average Model S customer doesn’t experience anywhere near that decrease in range at 20 degrees Fahrenheit, and the decrease in range at 95 degrees Fahrenheit is roughly 1 percent.”

And only 42% of Americans can use EVs because the others don’t have the proper plug at their house? That seems pretty fixable. I had one installed for $300.

Silly articles.

Quote:
If you don't think it's worth mentioning you don't have to mention it I can say whatever I want whether you think it's worth it or not.
Quote:
The reason why I don't want one is I don't want to worry about range I don't have to with gasoline powered car there's gas stations everywhere and it takes a few minutes to fill up.
I just thought you might like to know what EV ownership is really like, but apparently you are content to believe that running the radio and windshield wipers kills the battery. Good luck!

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-20-2021 at 12:21 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I just thought you might like to know what EV ownership is really like, but apparently you are content to believe that running the radio and windshield wipers kills the battery. Good luck!
I stated facts, I appreciate your opinion thank you for offering it.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:59 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My point was that the a/c doesn't use all that much power.
On an ICE vehicle using the AC increases fuel consumption, which in turn reduces driving range. The same for EV's: in this case battery power drain is increased, which in turn reduces driving range.

Numerous articles have already been published indicating what happens to both EV batteries, and and ICE vehicles fuel consumption relating to the loss of driving range. The main difference if that battery power is more efficient than fuel power, but battery power on an ICE vehicle is not an issue since the alternator provides all the power needed when the motor is running. Also, on an ICE vehicle, the alternator provides the electrical power used both heating and AC, and this power is only needed for the heating/AC controls and blower. Excess heat from the ICE motor is used for heating. The lights, ECU, wiper motors, ABS computer/TPMS...everything is powered by the generator and battery.

On an EV, both the heating/AC controls and blower primarily depend on battery power. Also the lights, wiper motor, ECU plus every computer onboard, seat heaters, radio or receiver plus any display on board, depend on the battery.

Read this article entirely, for near the end heat pumps are mentioned:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...fect-ev-range/
Quote:
Heating or air conditioning is a big deal in an electric vehicle, for two reasons: First, the total amount of energy onboard is dramatically less than what's available in a typical gasoline car. Every bit of energy used has a more noticeable impact on range. For example, a 15-gallon gas tank holds the equivalent of 505.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy. That's more than six times what our Model 3 carries fully charged. The second reason is that, unlike in a gasoline-fueled car, where waste heat from the engine is used to heat the cabin with little impact on efficiency, an EV's heat or A/C is also drawing directly from the battery. Any energy used for comfort can't be used for propulsion.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-20-2021 at 01:32 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 04:32 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
The United Kingdom has just moved their goal for an entire nation with Zero Emission Vehicles from 2050 up to 2040. No new ICE vehicles can be sold after 2030 and no plug in hybrids after 2035.

An executive order published in late September 2020 directs that by 2035, all new passenger cars and light-duty trucks sold in California must be zero-emission. It is difficult for me to imagine that in only 14 years a plug-in Prius will be illegal to sell in California. Unlike the UK, California does not have an elaborate public transportation system.

Norway is the most ambitious nation. All new vehicles must be zero-emission by 2025.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
On an ICE vehicle using the AC increases fuel consumption, which in turn reduces driving range. The same for EV's: in this case battery power drain is increased, which in turn reduces driving range.

Numerous articles have already been published indicating what happens to both EV batteries, and and ICE vehicles fuel consumption relating to the loss of driving range. The main difference if that battery power is more efficient than fuel power, but battery power on an ICE vehicle is not an issue since the alternator provides all the power needed when the motor is running. Also, on an ICE vehicle, the alternator provides the electrical power used both heating and AC, and this power is only needed for the heating/AC controls and blower. Excess heat from the ICE motor is used for heating. The lights, ECU, wiper motors, ABS computer/TPMS...everything is powered by the generator and battery.

On an EV, both the heating/AC controls and blower primarily depend on battery power. Also the lights, wiper motor, ECU plus every computer onboard, seat heaters, radio or receiver plus any display on board, depend on the battery.

Read this article entirely, for near the end heat pumps are mentioned:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...fect-ev-range/
I am glad you referenced the Car and Driver article. This part stood out to me as a completely meaningless statistic “For example, a 15-gallon gas tank holds the equivalent of 505.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy. That's more than six times what our Model 3 carries fully charged.”

Why, you might ask? The answer is that all that matters is how efficiently the car can turn that stored power into actual power. If stored power meant anything, then that car should have 6 times the range of a Model 3. Let’s say a Model 3 averages around 250 miles a charge instead of the stated 310. Do you know many ICE vehicles that can turn that stored energy into 1,500 miles of range? I didn’t think so.

The fact is that ICE vehicles can only turn about 15-20% of stored power into usable power. EVs are 80+% efficient.

So I will ask again, why on earth do we care how much stored energy a gas tank holds versus a battery if we are not trying to show how inefficient an ICE is in comparison.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-20-2021 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive