Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2021, 03:52 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,163,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Because EV's use so much less energy, it would still make sense even if your grid was coal dominant like China's.

California has no major coal reserves. I don't think we would want to be dependent on coal trains from east of the Rockies.

A really good idea that's been floating around for some time is to cover the California aqueduct (approx 300 miles long, 100 ft wide) with a lid made of solar panels, which will produce power while sharply reducing water loss due to evaporation. The Central Valley from Stockton to Bakersfield is hot, sunny and dry.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:23 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
No I fully see the big picture and severely limit chemicals into my body where I can. My wife also has severe asthma so we have to eliminate any and all chemical smells. So we don't have fireplace, gas stove, gas mower or trimmer, BBQ grill, fire pits, grills, or smoke pot or cigs. We also have the best air purifiers you can buy. We don't take trains, busses, or ships and limit air travel.

So how about trying to purify the air instead of justifying pollution?
Every product you use at home contains hazardous chemicals. There aren't specific smells in relation to the products we use at home. The smells are usually added to the product. You can have an air exchanger at home, but it only filters the air (does not remove gasses, for example, just particulates). All I was trying to say is that the air we breath at home is not necessarily clean.

I understand that asthma makes life difficult for a lot of people, including some of my family members not living with us (us = my wife and I).

Old 04-17-2021, 08:25 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Every product you use at home contains hazardous chemicals. There aren't specific smells in relation to the products we use at home. The smells are usually added to the product. You can have an air exchanger at home, but it only filters the air (does not remove gasses, for example, just particulates). All I was trying to say is that the air we breath at home is not necessarily clean.

I understand that asthma makes life difficult for a lot of people, including some of my family members not living with us (us = my wife and I).

It'd be kind of idiotic to say that the presence of some hazardous chemicals at home would be good reason to eliminate some of those chemicals even if you don't end up eliminating all of them. It's not like everything's always an all or nothing. It's not like having a papercut is the same as having a flesh would.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:46 PM

89 posts, read 49,173 times
lol people this stupid. they do not have enough litium to build enough of batteries for lets say just in usa 500million cars. you use littium battery small ones they are uselss after awile no recycling no reuseing it it goes to dumb and now you want people to bild trillion cars with no power source and replace gas which is plenty and in stead of waisting billions could make it even cleaner

Old 04-17-2021, 03:16 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It'd be kind of idiotic to say that the presence of some hazardous chemicals at home would be good reason to eliminate some of those chemicals even if you don't end up eliminating all of them. It's not like everything's always an all or nothing. It's not like having a papercut is the same as having a flesh would.
Have I said that hazardous chemicals used at home should be eliminated or not? It is a fact that the air we breath at home usually is more polluted than the air outdoors, even with the automobile exhaust. Some people have the means to construct their homes so that radon does not penetrate the floors or walls, and also have fresh air intake filters, but the average person does not.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-17-2021 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-17-2021, 04:20 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Electric Vehicles Close to ‘Tipping Point’ of Mass Adoption

Starting to look that way. No, it won't be 100% and ICE motors won't be extinct. But the train has left the station and it ain't coming back; automakers are just about fully invested in EV's now.

"Global sales rose 43% in 2020, but even faster growth is anticipated when continuing falls in battery prices bring the price of electric cars dipping below that of equivalent petrol and diesel models, even without subsidies. The latest analyses forecast that to happen some time between 2023 and 2025."

When "peak oil" happens it won't be due to declining production, it'll be from declining demand.

DON'T FORGET THE $ ....

the government makes HUGH BUCKS on gas consumption. WHEN consumption DRAMATICALLY DROPS, how will the gov. tax electric cars???

???

Old 04-17-2021, 04:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
DON'T FORGET THE $ ....

the government makes HUGH BUCKS on gas consumption. WHEN consumption DRAMATICALLY DROPS, how will the gov. tax electric cars???

???
Probably either 'tax by mile' at the DMV, or add taxes to electricity bills.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:50 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think so yet. Because the $25k CUV EV has yet to appear. Which Tesla could be announcing. The only thing is we just don't have the infrastructure yet to support 100k EVs on the road each state yet. It will likely cause blackouts in many cities.
You won't ever get infrastructure to support EVs from private sector alone. That is why Biden, Shumer and other democrats are getting behind a major federally funded roll out of EV infrastructure as part of Biden's big spending plans.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/17/2...ture-interview

Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You won't ever get infrastructure to support EVs from private sector alone. That is why Biden, Shumer and other democrats are getting behind a major federally funded roll out of EV infrastructure as part of Biden's big spending plans.

Hmm. I guess I need to go buy an old beater Chevy Cobalt that can I trade-in for the "generous discount", because I can say for sure that I won't be trading in either of my Tundras.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:36 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

They should save that kind of plan for taxpayer supported transition to EVs for a few years until the next generation of products emerges and the commercial charging networks further mature. Things are already progressing quickly and to me we just aren't there yet for the compelling case for these products as a proposition to the average consumer. If you do it now, I think you'll certainly get a lot more EV owners, but many of them won't be real happy. In another 3-5 years, I think we'll have products and infrastructure that most mainstream buyers will be happy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive