Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 12:44 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
It is kind of impressive how the MPG of big trucks has crept up to respectable levels. I mean nice trucks (and there are some REALLY nice ones) are basically today's version of a domestic luxury car and they aren't really any less efficient than those cars were.
Yes, and the motors become more efficient from year to year. Fully automatic transmissions with more than 5 speeds (some are even 8-speed) have made a big difference, too.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:36 AM

258 posts, read 230,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What is the motley assortment of vehicles you've listed? How are they representative for most of the EVs sold in the US? Tesla sells about 4 out of 5 EVs in the US and most of those are its Model 3 and now Model Y vehicles. It would seem like they would be a lot more representative of most of the EVs sold in the US.

Model 3 SR+ $36,999. Range = 263 miles
Model 3 LR $45,990. Range = 353 miles
Model Y LR $48,999. Range = 326 miles

That range is mostly cow pies. I recently test drove a model 3 LR and was able to eat through about 70 miles of range in less than 30 minutes and maybe 20 actual miles of driving. 353 miles my butt. The AC was off most of the time and windows were up because I wanted to see if I will vomit from the awful stench of fresh pleather that covers M3's interior. It got very very close.

Now, of course you will say "but if you flog a gas car it will eat through gas too". And that is very true. But the Tesla is supposed to be "the future" and next gen tech. Why is it behaving like the old tech and in the worst way?

Old 03-11-2021, 03:01 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
That range is mostly cow pies. I recently test drove a model 3 LR and was able to eat through about 70 miles of range in less than 30 minutes and maybe 20 actual miles of driving. 353 miles my butt. The AC was off most of the time and windows were up because I wanted to see if I will vomit from the awful stench of fresh pleather that covers M3's interior. It got very very close.

Now, of course you will say "but if you flog a gas car it will eat through gas too". And that is very true. But the Tesla is supposed to be "the future" and next gen tech. Why is it behaving like the old tech and in the worst way?
Oh no... You said something negative about an electric car and a thread the electric car police are going to come in here and tell you how misinformed you are and how electric cars are vastly superior to everything in all of history ever and if you don't think that will you are just misinformed.

The only real difference between a Tesla and another version of an electric car is that the Tesla uses lithium-ion batteries. The benefit you get with a lithium ion battery is a longer lifespan. It's not going to store any more energy it's not going to let you drive farther it's just a longer period before it's no longer usable.

I would give it time and see what they do with this solid state battery. If you really want an electric car. Maybe give them a few more years to make them better.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:47 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post

You can't bash their religion like that with bringing reality into the conversation. EV's are a huge step backwards in capability and function. It is regressive but it makes them feel better.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You can't bash their religion like that with bringing reality into the conversation. EV's are a huge step backwards in capability and function. It is regressive but it makes them feel better.
EVs are actually better for people who make frequent short trips, especially in cooler weather. That type of driving can cause sludge to form in a gas engine and moisture in the exhaust system.

This is one reason why I think PHEVs are the best answer. Pure electric driving for short trips around town, and gas for longer highway trips.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
The only real difference between a Tesla and another version of an electric car is that the Tesla uses lithium-ion batteries. The benefit you get with a lithium ion battery is a longer lifespan. It's not going to store any more energy it's not going to let you drive farther it's just a longer period before it's no longer usable.

I would give it time and see what they do with this solid state battery. If you really want an electric car. Maybe give them a few more years to make them better.
This demonstrates a laughably poor understanding of battery technology. The five main parameters in electric vehicle battery design are cost, weight, volume, range, and longevity. You could use lead acid batteries but to get 250 mile range, the car would weigh 10,000 pounds and would be nothing but battery. A plug-in hybrid with lead acid batteries gives you a few miles of electric range. Same as a golf cart. Lithium batteries store far more charge than lead acid batteries by weight and volume but they’re expensive. The challenge is industrial engineering to knock much of the cost out. We’re not quite there yet.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:28 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This demonstrates a laughably poor understanding of battery technology.
I don't buy the faux intellectualism.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:36 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
EVs are actually better for people who make frequent short trips, especially in cooler weather. That type of driving can cause sludge to form in a gas engine and moisture in the exhaust system.

This is one reason why I think PHEVs are the best answer. Pure electric driving for short trips around town, and gas for longer highway trips.
I also really like the concept of the plug-in hybrid with generous range (40-60 miles). If you can get your commuting and local driving done in pure EV mode, then you've got 80-90% of the green benefits of an EV, and when you want to go on a trip, the same vehicle can offer you convenient long-range driving. Sadly, not many plug-in hybrids *have* generous range, so currently there are few options.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:38 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I also really like the concept of the plug-in hybrid with generous range (40-60 miles). If you can get your commuting and local driving done in pure EV mode, then you've got 80-90% of the green benefits of an EV, and when you want to go on a trip, the same vehicle can offer you convenient long-range driving. Sadly, not many plug-in hybrids *have* generous range, so currently there are few options.
I don't consider 40 - 60 miles generous range, and the "green" benefits are an unnecessary illusion.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:42 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't consider 40 - 60 miles generous range, and the "green" benefits are an unnecessary illusion.
So you're entitled to your own opinions about range, but you're not entitled to your own facts on green benefits. This has been covered here dozens of times, I don't really have the energy to do it one more time, nor do I think that it will make any difference - you don't want that to be true, so you'll continue saying it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive