Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 11:24 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
No, I wrote that EV's can be fueled by clean energy; in the real world it's a mix of fossil and renewable energy sources. The cleanliness of the energy varies depends on your utility and the time of day. In some states that electricity will be generated by a mix of gas and coal; here in California, renewables are the largest component -- in daytime. Last May California set a record where 81.8% of power came from renewables (briefly, under ideal conditions). EV owners who have solar panels and a Powerwall can fuel up their cars with 100% non-greenhouse energy at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yep, it's certainly true that we need clean electricity generation to fully benefit from EVs replacing ICE vehicles and low temperature heat pumps replacing gas and oil heat. But, we are indeed moving in that direction - there is a clear trend towards cleaner power generation under way. Even substituting natural gas for coal in power plants is a win, but wind and solar get bigger each year. The solar panels and the wind turbines keep improving, so they get more attractive every year. I think later this year they will start construction on Vineyard Wind, the biggest offshore wind farm in the country and more are in planning or approval phases.
Even now with as much natural gas and coal based generation as we have and the transmission and inverter losses and the bulky batteries we have now adding to the inefficiency of electric vehicles, on average EVs still emit less emissions than the average ICE vehicle even when including a more polluting electrical generation source such as coal and the greater emissions from the initial EV (and its battery) production:

https://blog.ucsusa.org/don-anair/usa-today-gets-it-wrong-the-benefits-of-evs-636

From reading their initial analyses, it's also apparent that while transmission and inverter losses are accounted for in EVs, there is nothing similarly done for distribution for petroleum. It's not that EVs from production to disposal, from well-to-wheel produce no emissions--it's only that on a comparative basis to a similar ICE vehicle, they produce substantially fewer, so while it is better that the electrical generation comes from a renewable energy source, even with less clean electrical generation it stills come out ahead.

Anyhow, these are probably only loosely tied to growing EV adoption rates, because it's unlikely that a particularly large percentage of people would be swayed strongly in dollar value by lower emissions. It's more like they share common factors in that electric generation and transmission as well as electric motor efficiency is better than their ICE analogues which therefore helps drive certain parts of the cost down and ups the utility value. That and some people who just want to be able to go really fast really quickly because it's fun.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-17-2021 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-17-2021, 11:52 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’re making stuff up here. In the tube TV days, there were hundreds of manufacturers. Every European country had several. There were easily a dozen Japanese brands. It was relatively low tech with many smaller manufacturers. There aren’t many companies making panels. LG makes all the OLED panels and sells them to other companies who put their own plastic and electronics around the panel.

My take is that battery vendors will consolidate and use patents to protect their intellectual property. Like any other component, there will be a few dominant high volume suppliers. It’s likely most of those will be Chinese.
Maybe I was wrong (this is too long and boring for me to figure):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._manufacturers

https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=14940

Old 03-17-2021, 03:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
More evidence of the tipping point: Audi halts engineering of new ICE motors

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/16...e-development/
No surprise there since VW owns Audi.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No surprise there since VW owns Audi.
I could be wrong, but at least in the US the expensive Audi automobiles are not big sellers. I assume that since the EU nations are going the EV way, Audi EV's should sales should be better than Audi with ICEs.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:36 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
News from Volkswagen this week. CityData forum members on Team Denial insist that this can't be happening, that automakers are just dipping a toe in the water of EVs... but it doesn't look like that at all to me...

"Under the plan, VW will aim to have an interest in six battery plants in Europe by 2030 at a cost of around $29 billion, according to estimates by BloombergNEF. Meanwhile, Diess said 60 percent of the company's vehicle sales should be electric by the end of the decade. There will also be a shift of internal resources to software development for autonomous vehicles."
https://www.politico.eu/article/volk...les-batteries/

Old 03-17-2021, 06:12 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
News from Volkswagen this week. CityData forum members on Team Denial insist that this can't be happening, that automakers are just dipping a toe in the water of EVs... but it doesn't look like that at all to me...

"Under the plan, VW will aim to have an interest in six battery plants in Europe by 2030 at a cost of around $29 billion, according to estimates by BloombergNEF. Meanwhile, Diess said 60 percent of the company's vehicle sales should be electric by the end of the decade. There will also be a shift of internal resources to software development for autonomous vehicles."
https://www.politico.eu/article/volk...les-batteries/
GM's supposedly considering going in on a second US battery plant alongside its under construction $2.3 billion USD battery plant joint venture in Lordstown, Ohio.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/04/gm-c...in-the-us.html

Tesla has its battery plant in Reno. SK Innovation which supplies batteries to multiple automakers has an under construction plant in Georgia though maybe it's recent legal troubles might get in the way of things.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,294,427 times
This guy's Tesla S is out of warranty and his battery has failed.
Now, he has to pay $22,000 plus tax for a replacement battery.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...odel-s.221438/

----
Anybody wants to buy a slightly used 8-year-old electric vehicle?

Last edited by vincenze; 03-17-2021 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
This guy's Tesla S is out of warranty and his battery has failed.
Now, he has to pay $22,000 plus tax for a replacement battery.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...odel-s.221438/
One has to live and learn, I guess The guy should have made sure about what kind of warranty was offered to him, since it seems that the replacement battery was not new. Also, where did the $7,000-$12,000 batteries talked about in this forum went?

Any multi-cell battery, regardless if it an EV one or not, can fail at any time. The aircraft batteries I worked with for years had from 19 to 64 cells. These batteries weren't Lithium-Ion, just Ni-Cad. It was very common fo one or more cells to reverse polarity, or experience a short, or even an open. When an open happens there is a loss of power, but at least it's not as dangerous as a short circuit. A short circuit inside a Lithium-Ion battery can turn quite dangerous if it leads to a thermal runaway, or a fire in an aircraft.

If I had an EV, I would make sure that the battery is warranted as it should. That would be great concern should one need to go to the "EV battery swap" talked about in this forum. But to each his or her own

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-17-2021 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 08:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,294,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
One has to live and learn, I guess The guy should have made sure about what kind of warranty was offered to him, since it seems that the replacement battery was not new. Also, where did the $7,000-$12,000 batteries talked about in this forum went?
Musk gave him a refurbished battery with a 1-year warranty. 1.5 years later it failed.

I guess when you pay $22,000 for a battery, it's also refurbished. Green deal, I guess.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I could be wrong, but at least in the US the expensive Audi automobiles are not big sellers. I assume that since the EU nations are going the EV way, Audi EV's should sales should be better than Audi with ICEs.
Actually China is nearly half of Audi's market, bigger than all of Europe. The USA is their next biggest market, but like 30% as much as China's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive