Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 07:48 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,242,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It'll be interesting to see how that Semi works out. I'm guessing the first few years of it will be intended for short and medium haul due to the battery weight penalty for long distances with heavy towing.
I'm guessing most people know better than to make an electric semi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 09:23 PM

37,294 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I'm guessing most people know better than to make an electric semi.

Know better or don't know how to? There is such a thing as short haul trucking and that's what I suspect they'll pretty squarely targeted for such since they're supposedly 300 and 500 miles of range fully loaded. It makes sense if there's charging at the endpoints and would probably mean substantial operational savings and probably accounts for why they have thousands of pre-orders for this first run. It'll also likely be useful for Tesla to use for itself in delivering their vehicles as well as delivering parts between its Fremont and Reno factories which are just about perfect for the purported range.

Of course, if it's that obvious, then you'd expect more truck makers to also have electric semis either out or in the pipeline, but there aren't any except for those by BYD, Daimler AG, Lion Electric Company, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Toyota, Volvo, and some startups here and there. However, those might all be companies you've never heard of.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-08-2021 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 09:55 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,649,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Tesla's latest superchargers charge at a rate of ~15 miles per minute. To recoup the 166 miles between the two cities, you'd need to charge for 11 minutes.
That's a very fast charge rate. Which some drivers (myself included) would prefer.... if it didn't damage my car.

But my experience with rechargeable batteries (NiCd, NimH, Li-ion) has shown me that fast charge rates generate considerable heat... which, in turn, shortens the life of the battery considerably.

I haven't worked with batteries large enough to drive an EV 300 miles at speed. But have worked a lot with smaller ones, some in high-power applications.

Has anybody seen a chart or formula that shows Charge Rate vs. Number of Charge-discharge cycles?

To put it another way, if you drove the Tesla described above the 166 miles, then recharged the battery at one of those newer superstations in 11 minutes, how many times could you do that before needing a new battery?

Versus if you drive it the same 166 miles at the same speed, and then recharged the battery at a rate requiring 11 *hours* of charging (basically overnight), how many times could you do THAT before you needed a new battery?

Last edited by Roboteer; 02-08-2021 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 11:07 PM

1,663 posts, read 881,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Even with those taxes our roads are in a pitiful condition...not to even mention the bridges. Those taxes are just not enough to keep up with maintenance.
Gas taxes are largely used to fund infrastructure maintenance and new projects, but the amount of state and local road spending covered by gas taxes, tolls, user fees, and user taxes varies widely among states.
https://files.taxfoundation.org/2019...9-oct-f-01.png

Much more rewarding could be charging drivers per mile. I am sure they wouldn't like it, but it seems fair, no?

The mileage on electric cars is improving. They just need to be charged bit faster.
How will the government know how many miles people have driven without putting some sort of tracking device in everyone's vehicles?

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how that Semi works out. I'm guessing the first few years of it will be intended for short and medium haul due to the battery weight penalty for long distances with heavy towing.
Kenworth and Peterbilt are both coming out with electric class 8 trucks in the next few months. The T680E has up to 150 mile range and 3 hour recharge time.
https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/ke...ailable-order/

Old 02-08-2021, 11:15 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,649,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
How will the government know how many miles people have driven without putting some sort of tracking device in everyone's vehicles?
Same way they do now. Mandate a unchangeable odometer on the dashboard (plus a reflection of it in the software of the vehicle's main computer, that they can read out), and then require that it get read by an "official" reader every now and then.

States like California that already have mandated smog test machines that report directly to the state capitol whether you want it to or not, have everything they need to do this.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:16 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,242,113 times
Quote:
Know better or don't know how to? There is such a thing as short haul trucking and that's what I suspect they'll pretty squarely targeted for such since they're supposedly 300 and 500 miles of range fully loaded. It makes sense if there's charging at the endpoints and would probably mean substantial operational savings and probably accounts for why they have thousands of pre-orders for this first run. It'll also likely be useful for Tesla to use for itself in delivering their vehicles as well as delivering parts between its Fremont and Reno factories which are just about perfect for the purported range.
I would say they know better. Long-term trucking might be suited for diesel Electric but I would think it'd be a waste to do that with short trucking.

Quote:
Of course, if it's that obvious, then you'd expect more truck makers to also have electric semis either out or in the pipeline, but there aren't any except for those by BYD, Daimler AG, Lion Electric Company, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Toyota, Volvo, and some startups here and there. However, those might all be companies you've never heard of.
yes I had a nickel for every time I heard that there's just about to be a revolution in trucking I'd be a millionaire.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:58 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
Quote:
The best application for electric cars is local driving they're not good for road trips they're not good for towing they're not good for replacing semis. This means they should be dirt cheap cuz you're going to have a second vehicle and has to cost nothing. Considering I can get a 12-year-old pickup truck and drive it back and forth to Austin 24/7 and it only costs me five to six thousand dollars for the truck money for gas.

When the utility of something that cheap is greater than the utility of an electric car and nobody's going to buy an electric car especially for the money they're asking for.
Not really. Do the math on taking a Tesla cross country. 80 mph for 3 hours, 20 minute bio break where you plug it into a Supercharger, repeat. You can do 1,000 mile days with an hour of break time and you’ll probably be taking the same amount of breaks in a gasoline car.

It’s not quite there yet but I can see an EV in my driveway in a few years where I take long trips.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:25 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
That's a very fast charge rate. Which some drivers (myself included) would prefer.... if it didn't damage my car.

But my experience with rechargeable batteries (NiCd, NimH, Li-ion) has shown me that fast charge rates generate considerable heat... which, in turn, shortens the life of the battery considerably.

I haven't worked with batteries large enough to drive an EV 300 miles at speed. But have worked a lot with smaller ones, some in high-power applications.

Has anybody seen a chart or formula that shows Charge Rate vs. Number of Charge-discharge cycles?

To put it another way, if you drove the Tesla described above the 166 miles, then recharged the battery at one of those newer superstations in 11 minutes, how many times could you do that before needing a new battery?

Versus if you drive it the same 166 miles at the same speed, and then recharged the battery at a rate requiring 11 *hours* of charging (basically overnight), how many times could you do THAT before you needed a new battery?
So basically, you know zero.

A Tesla battery has an 8 year warranty. It can be expected to last the life of the car. Figure 300,000 miles. It’s a big array of LiIo cells with fancy battery life management software.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:05 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,351,093 times
Quote:
I would say they know better. Long-term trucking might be suited for diesel Electric but I would think it'd be a waste to do that with short trucking.

Short duty trucking is actually perfect for electric. 150-200 miles a day on in town routes where they can easily recharge at night is typical for trucks like garbage trucks, mail delivery trucks, all those medium duty box trucks you see running around, hub to store grocery trucks and man, MANY more, It's why so many are being developed now that Li-ion batteries are getting cheaper.

https://www.peterbilt.com/electric-vehicles

Quote:
yes I had a nickel for every time I heard that there's just about to be a revolution in trucking I'd be a millionaire.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...electric-semi/

https://landline.media/kenworth-intr...-8-t680-truck/

But of course in your vast experience, you've never heard of these have you? One of these days, you're going to admit you know absolutely nothing and maybe, just maybe, actually learn something.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The government will most certainly start charging per mile once they figure out how they can track each vehicle.

Right now, my state charges me extra property tax on my PHEV each year to compensate for lost fuel taxes.
Here in our state, there is an additional $100 annual fee for EVs to make up for the loss of gas tax money funding highways. The gas tax is $0.49/gallon so the cost is more for the ICE car if it uses more than 200 gallons a year, that's about 6,000 miles at 30 mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive