Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 12:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Citygate pricing for natural gas is not too expensive in Texas. We have plenty of it. We just don't have infrastructure designed for cold weather (like we have now, like we had in 2014, and like we had in 2010). So we have these brownouts. This week is particularly bad compared to previous times, but it's not new.

I've seen a lot of people powering homes with their Tesla's. Just enough to keep the basics running. But Tesla's software limitation is 2KW... good enough to heat a room, but not a home... and if they have a fast charger, they should be set.

My F150 Hybrid is capable of 7.2KW output and could run a home if I needed. The F150 Plugin is expected to supply even more power when it comes out.

So these electrified cars are lifesavers at the moment.
It was so surprising to see that the EcoBoost provides 7.2 kW but the V8 only produces 2.0 kW. Do they have these systems yet for the F250.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 01:42 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It was so surprising to see that the EcoBoost provides 7.2 kW but the V8 only produces 2.0 kW. Do they have these systems yet for the F250.
The 7.2kW is only available on the PowerBoost models.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,948 times
Default News update from Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Good insight, in fact I would expect them to take advantage of the opportunity to make more money by raising rates during that time when a significant increase in EV charging happens in 10-15 years.

Looks like most of Texas has power again.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

News update from Austin about utility bills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Izffth0S74

Old 02-20-2021, 04:32 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Looks like most of Texas has power again.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

News update from Austin about utility bills.
:
Yes, fortunately the weather has relented down there, so things can begin to get better. It's quite a mess though, with what's estimated to be billions of dollars in damage to property and perhaps a hundred dead. Then there's these bizarre electric billing practices that may bite some consumers as your linked video mentions.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I have not read every post, so someone else may have already said this, but, for the most part, people will charge their EV at night, and in most of the country, electric demand goes down at night, so there is considerable "headroom" to accommodate EV charging, and the utilities will actually be better off because they make more money when plants are running near 100% rated capacity.

Secondly, if implemented in a smart grid, you might plug your EV in at say 6 PM, but the smart grid might decide to actually charge it between 2 and 4 AM. For example. A smart grid would not charge all the EVs plugged in at once, it would time them out, it would look at overall demand and supply, for example if a wind farm just happened to have more power available, the smart grid would use that power to charge more EVs.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:26 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have not read every post, so someone else may have already said this, but, for the most part, people will charge their EV at night, and in most of the country, electric demand goes down at night, so there is considerable "headroom" to accommodate EV charging, and the utilities will actually be better off because they make more money when plants are running near 100% rated capacity.

Secondly, if implemented in a smart grid, you might plug your EV in at say 6 PM, but the smart grid might decide to actually charge it between 2 and 4 AM. For example. A smart grid would not charge all the EVs plugged in at once, it would time them out, it would look at overall demand and supply, for example if a wind farm just happened to have more power available, the smart grid would use that power to charge more EVs.
It all sounds simple enough, but in reality mother nature can make it quite complicated. For example, what happened in Texas recently. In this case there was not enough electrical power available to even heat homes during the cold spell. My daughter lost power for 2-3 days, ad she was lucky that the pipes didn't freeze. She still had hot water because the heater uses natural gas, but everything in her home depends on electricity to function.

Then when it is hot during the summer, she still needs to keep the home cool enough to live in, both during the day and night. In my view electrical power generation and distribution need to be addressed before jumping with both feet into the "EV wagon." This is only my opinion, of course.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:36 AM

Default If bad weather of any kind is going to effect E.V.'s or the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, fortunately the weather has relented down there, so things can begin to get better. It's quite a mess though, with what's estimated to be billions of dollars in damage to property and perhaps a hundred dead. Then there's these bizarre electric billing practices that may bite some consumers as your linked video mentions.

"fortunately the weather has relented down there"

I used your words be cause it reminded me to post information on a weather program I use. I had it in the hurricane

thread ( under weather) of city-data.

Problem is the hurricane thread gets no traffic so it benefits very few. so I also posted it in the computer section. Hope it

does some good there.

Anyway the program is called xyGRIB it's the best free weather forecaster I have ever seen. I watched the temps unfold via

animation on a detailed map I created 10 days before this latest cold spell. If bad weather of any kind is going to effect E.V.'s or the grid this program is a must.

Google it

Old 03-03-2021, 05:58 AM

Default E.V.'s having their own meters to preserve and protect heat, water and lighting, circuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

E.V.'s having their own meters to preserve and protect heat, water and lighting, circuits would be a smart way to go.

Demand billing, customer credits, and the possibility of having an E.V. with an electrical problem while plugged into the grid would allow the Electric company to detect and isolate the problem immediately without disrupting electrical service to the rest of the house.

Here is how the rest of the country and the rest of the world is doing with their power companies.

Compared to what can go wrong, the cost of multi fuel fired boilers is very little.

However only a small percentage of utilities in the U.S. are using multi-fuel capable boilers to generate electricity.

Here is a link to who has dual fuel fired boiler for power generation.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=42776

Another interesting link. Where do other countries in our world stand when power outages are measured in days per year.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...l-outages/Days

Other reasons for the multi fuel capable burners on these boilers was to switch from fuel to fuel during market price fluctuations, embargoes, fuel shortages,

Equipment failures, etc.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:28 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It all sounds simple enough, but in reality mother nature can make it quite complicated. For example, what happened in Texas recently. In this case there was not enough electrical power available to even heat homes during the cold spell.
Not applicable as that was a poorly designed and implemented grid.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:32 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countysquare View Post
1. Those substations and high voltage lines--as well as their easements--aren't younger than the air conditioner. They would all need to be made about 60% fatter than they exist now just if even half the vehicles on the road today were converted.

2. Nobody needed DC feeds to their curbs before. Now everyone would need them, or else you'll be scheduled into long lines at retail charger outlets. And not every car owner can garage their EV or even park it in a personal driveway.

Mass EV adoption is both lunacy and a pipe dream.
It's lunacy not to adopt mass EV's because EV's are far more efficient and will substantially lessen the environmental impact that current ICE vehicles have on the environment. Mass burning of dinosaur juice in your neighborhood is not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive