Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 08:16 AM

6,430 posts, read 3,137,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well, it didn't for me as I never heard of the endurance race and this was 1972.
Actually, it wasn't a "race". It was a combination durability test/advertising gimmick. I've been an automobile enthusiast all my life, as well as old enough to have been around, when that deal was run. I still remember the advertising jingle from the TV ads that they generated... A voice over chorus, singing "100,000 miles, at 100 miles per hour, on the banks of the rugged Big D", over some background music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 06:11 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,605 times
By the 1970s, that 100K driving challenge would have kept the pit crew very busy on my family's Fords. None of them made it much past 80K.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 785,836 times
Default You are correct, they were just racing against time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Actually, it wasn't a "race". It was a combination durability test/advertising gimmick. I've been an automobile enthusiast all my life, as well as old enough to have been around, when that deal was run. I still remember the advertising jingle from the TV ads that they generated... A voice over chorus, singing "100,000 miles, at 100 miles per hour, on the banks of the rugged Big D", over some background music.

Below is a video giving a close up look of what the car actually looked like straight from the factory. The one in the video had been restored but it is an excellent detailed example of what the car looked like new.

I also stand corrected, the 100,000 mile endurance run wasn't a race against the other drivers but it was a race against time.

More then 100 records were set.

The second video gives a lot more detail about the complexity of the rules these cars, drivers, and pit crews had to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-SvJ6AFUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3JdH28N3I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive