Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 09:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times

Advertisements

How would Electric Vehicles do in an endurance challenge. Remember the Mercury Comets 100,000 mile endurance run.

What if there was a competition between Electric Vehicles and cars powered by internal combustion engines?

Which one would win. The competition would involve speed and miles traveled continuously with just pit stops for fuel, charging, and recommended service at prescribed intervals.

Fords Mercury division have done this endurance test in 1964 with a car called the Comet.

The Mercury Comet had a unique advertising campaign. Ford had taken the car out on a test track and drove it continuously at high speed for 100,000 miles.

Of course there were driver changes, oil changes, tire changes, etc. being performed at normal prescribed maintenance recommendations by Ford's pit crews.

It was a successful drive-train reliability demonstration, and advertising campaign. However a competitor called the Ford Mustang was produced, which became a more popular car than the Mercury.

Presently electric cars, using lithium batteries have been produced and available to consumers for 10 plus years. Claims of million mile batteries and eight minute charging times, have also been suggested recently.

A tremendous advantage exists today that Ford did not have in the days of the Comet. Electric vehicle manufacturers have an advantage of being autonomous.

I would suggest that an autonomous or human drivers operate electrical vehicles and run the course as Ford did with its Mercury Comets. The claim of 1,000,000 mile battery and 8 minute charging times would be put to the test.

A simple test of an autonomous or driven electric vehicle, continuously going around a track coming in only for pit stops and battery charges.

Another consideration, that might be even more impressive would be inductance charging having been built into the test track and a non stop endurance race would be even more impressive.

It's what I would consider a golden opportunity for any of the major manufacturers worldwide to publicize such an event if electric vehicles are up to the challenge on the path to becoming mainstream.

Below is a link to the video documenting the Mercury, Comet's endurance run. The video is at the bottom of the page.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...rds-at-daytona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 10:50 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
i hsd the idea in about 1970 of pitching to an auto company a real-conditions drive of, say, 100k miles in 100 days. I asked around, and found that they apparently do that, for their own purposes, but don't publish the results, They hirre colllege girls to drive.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:06 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Thanks for posting that Comet article, very interesting. I had a 1963 Ford Falcon Futura in the 1970s, which was a close cousin to the Comet. It was a great vehicle, still one of my favorites from that era. Can't think of much I would have changed about it. Although the Mustang eclipsed the Comet / Falcon a short time later, the Mustang inherited a lot of drivetrain and chassis components from the Comet / Falcon.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 AM

Default The 1960's were a great time to be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Thanks for posting that Comet article, very interesting. I had a 1963 Ford Falcon Futura in the 1970s, which was a close cousin to the Comet. It was a great vehicle, still one of my favorites from that era. Can't think of much I would have changed about it. Although the Mustang eclipsed the Comet / Falcon a short time later, the Mustang inherited a lot of drivetrain and chassis components from the Comet / Falcon.

The 1960's were a great time to be around.

I remember the Ford Falcon Futura it did have the Comets drive-train. Had a clean look about it. We need that Ice/E.V. car competition real bad in this world.

With the INTERNET such an event would have the largest viewing audience ever.. Thanks for the trip in the way back machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4D3cirq65o

Old 03-05-2021, 10:27 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Another thinly-veiled "yeah but whatabout...." to put down EVs.

A test like that would mean absolutely zero to me. I don't make decisions based on these sorts of marketing stunts.

Car & Driver just tested 3 pickups with an extreme towing challenge which, while really interesting to read, had about zero applicability to 99.999% of truck/suv drivers. But I'm sure some soccer dad/mom will breathlessly justify a certain purchase because of stunts like this even though he/she uses about 0.01% of their vehicle's capability.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:22 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
That'd be pretty interesting. It's not a real world test in terms of usage patterns, but it would be interesting if done every few years to see how improvements track over a longer time frame and would be especially interesting in terms of testing for longevity.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:07 PM

Default I agree it would be an interesting yard stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That'd be pretty interesting. It's not a real world test in terms of usage patterns, but it would be interesting if done every few years to see how improvements track over a longer time frame and would be especially interesting in terms of testing for longevity.

I agree it would be an interesting yard stick.

I knew a number of people who owned Mercury Comets and remember the 100,000 endurance race.

No one has done anything as grueling before or since.

Think about it these guys did the equivalent of 200 Daytona 500's continuously flat out in unmodified cars 56 years ago.

Cast Iron engines, carburetors, rear wheel drive, U-joints, automatic transmissions. ignition coils and points, etc.

Here is an update to this old school story.

This lady had her one owner Mercury, Comet for 48 years and put 567,000 miles on the original engine. This was a story carried by NPR radio, here's the link below.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ks-her-chariot

Old 03-05-2021, 01:27 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
q. What's better than a Mercury Comet that runs for 100,000 miles?

A. A Mercury Comet that dies after 50,000 miles. Because then you can get something decent.

(And yes, I have driven, and repaired, a Comet of that age).

Old 03-05-2021, 04:04 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
I've had 3 Comets, My first car, a '62 2door sedan, a '63 V8 convertible, and a '63 S-22 hardtop.

This was my last one:

I want to build another, using a Tesla drivetrain and battery.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:21 PM

Default Great cars, all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I've had 3 Comets, My first car, a '62 2door sedan, a '63 V8 convertible, and a '63 S-22 hardtop.

This was my last one:

I want to build another, using a Tesla drivetrain and battery.

Great cars, all of them.

Building another Comet with a Tesla drive train would be quite the project.

Here's hoping it turns out to be the best car you have ever done.

I'm going to keep hoping for car companies worldwide to collaborate and recreate the worlds greatest sporting event.

The Flat-Out Comet 100,000 mile plus endurance World championship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive