Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:50 AM

22,060 posts, read 13,071,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Could be the best bet for people like me who don't like gadgets is to find a vehicle we want and set aside a few grand to renovate it. I'm not saying restore it, just bring the transmission, engine and suspension back up to specs.
Haha; that's basically what I feel I'm doing... Although I've had 15 trouble-free years, I recently replaced the battery, struts, serpentine belt, and exhaust system. If this keeps up, I'll finally have a whole new car.

However, I'll eventually buy the car I want - possibly my last car - and, since I can now no longer buy it new from the factory, I WILL be prepared to pay both the delivery charge to get just what I want shipped to me AND pay to make it like new to me insofar as I'll have a body shop repair any dings and scratches, have the interior professionally detailed, etc. I might even treat myself to tinted windows and a fuzzy steering wheel cover. Go crazy and break the bank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 01:23 PM

8,543 posts, read 4,785,793 times
Quote:
Could be the best bet for people like me who don't like gadgets is to find a vehicle we want and set aside a few grand to renovate it. I'm not saying restore it, just bring the transmission, engine and suspension back up to specs.

It would be easier for me here in the south, than it would for some other folks. Our frames don't ever rust out unless you live near the salt water coast.
A good case in point was made by the poster who pointed out his catalytic converter in his 05 Jeep cost 1200. Mine for my 90 GMC cost $150.
Good prospects are out there! I have a renter who has a perfectly good Suburban parked in the driveway; has been for years. She'd sell it.
I’m considering this for my Civic. My wife would throw a hissy fit, but I actually like the car. And not only does it not have any silly screens, it’s very el-strippo: factory manual steering, AM/FM only…good little machine, and 45ish mpg to boot.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:30 PM

9,547 posts, read 4,372,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Are all of you who buy new vehicles every year or two or when you get bored very rich? I would think that would get pretty expensive! Or do you manage to break even or even make a profit? Personally, I get emotionally attached to my cars and hate to see them go!
I've purchased nearly 50 new cars and trucks since buying my first one in 1984, plus quite a few used ones as well. This doesn't include dozens of new motorcycles as well. As I write this, my driveway/garage is currently occupied by over $350,000 in vehicles that I purchased new. All are paid for in full. This doesn't include several used vehicles as well. I will be able retire comfortably in a few years and own a decent house that is bigger than I really need.

I'm not even close to rich and I am the only income source in my household, but don't care for things like travel, expensive clothes/watches/jewelry/restaurants, etc. In other words, I chose to spend my money differently than other people. As a point of reference, I've earned a few thousand dollars short of $4M since I started working full-time in January of 1986 after graduating from college. Comfortable, but not rich by an means - especially for the area in which I live.

Old 01-15-2023, 03:45 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,249,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Just wondering what motivates people to buy a new car. If your current car is lacking in some respect -- reliability, features, etc? Changed lifestyle? Just tired of it?

If not now looking, what motivated you last time you did trade up? Me, generally I don't start looking around until trips to the repair shop shart killing me.
My last two trucks were totaled less than 12 months apart, otherwise, I would still be happily driving a 2011 Nissan Xterra with appx. 150k well, maintained miles.

My wife's car will soon be 10 years old and it has roughly 150k miles on it. We will probably start looking for another car over the course of the year if the market continues to dip. Her car is more difficult to work on and she makes frequent trips home to visit family. Reliability and safety are paramount. That said, she is cheap and probably won't spend over 25k.

Old 01-15-2023, 03:46 PM

68 posts, read 56,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I might swap it for a new Dakota if they don't ruin the design when they bring it back next year. Primarily just because I can and I think I want to.
That rumor seems to pop up every few years. I'll believe it when I see it. I asked our local dealer last summer and they told me there are no plans to bring it back, the Jeep pickup is going to be Stellantis' sole entry in the mid-size truck category. Who knows?

Gotta say I had a couple of older Dakotas, an '88 and an '02 and I thought they were both excellent trucks, far and away the best of the less-than full size ones. I hope the rumors are true this time.

Old 01-15-2023, 05:26 PM

68 posts, read 56,189 times
Quote:

It would be easier for me here in the south, than it would for some other folks. Our frames don't ever rust out unless you live near the salt water coast.
A good case in point was made by the poster who pointed out his catalytic converter in his 05 Jeep cost 1200. Mine for my 90 GMC cost $150.
Good prospects are out there! I have a renter who has a perfectly good Suburban parked in the driveway; has been for years. She'd sell it.
Easier said than done here in rust country. Not many vehicles last more than 15 years here, maybe 20 if well maintained. Some people will make the trip to pick up a southern car, but then there's the hassle of getting it back home (not to mention just finding one that's as advertised).

Old 01-15-2023, 05:41 PM

8,543 posts, read 4,785,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Wannacracker View Post
Easier said than done here in rust country. Not many vehicles last more than 15 years here, maybe 20 if well maintained. Some people will make the trip to pick up a southern car, but then there's the hassle of getting it back home (not to mention just finding one that's as advertised).
That’s what I’m going to do here. Road salt is horrendous. I regard it as criminal - vandalism. I don’t know how people put up with it.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:13 PM

1,864 posts, read 841,284 times
Meant to look at new cars yesterday.
Trading in a 2015 Mazda that I still like, but:
It has the 2.0 liter with very little power especially when the AC is on.
The infotainment has been having hiccups when the phone is connected. Will be listening to AM radio when the screen goes black then shows that I'm listening to a FM station while still playing the AM station.
Issue with suspension. Like with the previous generation the suspension has not only been stiff, but has an issue with the struts. The noise went away for a while, but has came back.
Needs quite a bit of maintenance. Needs new tires, new wiper blades (all three), new filters (engine & cabin), coolant changed and the transmission fluid checked.
Looking for a better stereo system, a manual and some luxury/modern features.
Have a new Mazda 3 (premium trim), Honda Civic SI, Hyundai Elentra N, Ford Ranger (STX trim), and maybe Toyota Tacoma (SR5 Trim) on my list.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:17 PM

25,620 posts, read 17,364,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Wannacracker View Post
I have often thought about driving my 90 GMC - bought new in Mississippi in 1990 - up to Alaska for my final trip.
I'd get a lot more money in Alaska, I'd get to drive, which I always wanted to do, and I would never have to see whatever happens to my old ride with 400,000 miles on it.
I was a trucker in my last job before I retired. Probably have driven 2.5M miles in my life.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:13 PM

24,729 posts, read 9,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Are all of you who buy new vehicles every year or two or when you get bored very rich? I would think that would get pretty expensive!
Unless you buy a car, and the value immediately goes to zero, anyone can trade it in for a new one in a year or two. You either pay the difference, break even, or make a little profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive