Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 06:59 AM

19,176 posts, read 25,442,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The more gadgets, the more there is to break and repair...
In theory, that might be true. In practice... not so much.
My 2011 Outback had every "gadget" that was available for that model year, and yet, in the 11 years/147k miles that I drove it, the only repair that it ever needed was the replacement (under warranty) of the windshield washer reservoir.

My 2011 Outback's Electronic Stability Control, Traction Control, ABS, onboard GPS combined with Bluetooth, heated seats, backup camera, power seats, automatic climate control, electronic parking brake, and all of the other "gadgets" worked flawlessly for the entire time that I owned that vehicle. A few months ago, I traded it in on a brand-new Lexus that has all of those features plus Automatic Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Front Cross Traffic Alert, rain-sensing wipers, headlight washers, heated steering wheel, 360-degree cameras, self-parking, power folding mirrors, power liftgate activated by a kicking motion underneath the rear bumper, and--probably--a few more features that I can't recall right now.

While the learning curve for some of those features took me a few days (an old dog like me can learn new tricks...), I really like all of them, and would never want a car that lacked those features. Some people--like me--can readily adapt to change, but others seem to resist any type of change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 07:01 AM

22,124 posts, read 13,144,536 times
Regardless, I don't want the new gadgets.

It's not about some pathological "resistance to change." I'm all for change that makes sense to me and makes my life better, but change just for the sake of change or because you can even if it complicates life? Not interested. I prefer simplicity and minimalism.

Different strokes! I don't stick a label on those who LIKE the latest technology, although I could.

Obviously, I'll have to get some when I buy a new car, but I hope to limit them with my choice and use them only as I see fit.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:31 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,678,935 times
Quote:
I love my basic 15-year-old car with the roll-up windows ...
Most new vehicles come with power windows for good reason: cost. It seems odd, but installing wind-up windows could actually be more expensive in some vehicles. It's less complex, and therefore cheaper, to toss them in instead of deleting them, which would mean new door panels and new mechanisms and new engineering.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Most new vehicles come with power windows for good reason: cost. It seems odd, but installing wind-up windows could actually be more expensive in some vehicles. It's less complex, and therefore cheaper, to toss them in instead of deleting them, which would mean new door panels and new mechanisms and new engineering.
Roll-up windows are actually safer, should you ever find yourself immersed in water, but most "improvements" aren't really improvements; no surprise there. However, that's one thing I could learn to live with.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:47 AM

9,568 posts, read 4,390,855 times
I buy a new car when one of the vehicles in my fleet either bores me or it's functional purpose no longer exists (this applies mostly to trucks and vans). At one point I was buying a new car every year (or less), but I've reached the point where I really like all of my cars and motorcycles and have no intention of replacing any of them. I've had one of my cars for 10 years, which is record for me. Its only got 22K miles on it, so its still extremely reliable. The longest I've had a motorcycle is 13 years. It too, isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I actually tried buying a sensible car a time or two, most recently a new 2009 Corolla. That lasted about 6 months. What a miserable turd of a car. I actually envy people who are OK with mediocre cars. I'd have saved hundreds of thousands dollars over the years if I just stuck with one boring appliance-like car.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:52 AM

Are all of you who buy new vehicles every year or two or when you get bored very rich? I would think that would get pretty expensive! Or do you manage to break even or even make a profit? Personally, I get emotionally attached to my cars and hate to see them go!

Old 01-15-2023, 09:00 AM

19,176 posts, read 25,442,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Most new vehicles come with power windows for good reason: cost.
Even the cheapest, most "basic" new car sold in The US (the Mitsubishi Mirage, which is essentially designed for consumers in The Third World) comes with power windows, as well as a few other "gadgets".

https://www.autotrader.com/compariso...co%20Indicator.

Are there actually any new cars sold in The US at this point that aren't equipped with power windows?

Quote:
I get emotionally attached to my cars and hate to see them go!
I do recall that you were emotionally attached to your previous car, but I also recall that you despised virtually everything about your Yaris when you first bought it. Are you now emotionally attached to it?

Old 01-15-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I do recall that you were emotionally attached to your previous car, but I also recall that you despised virtually everything about your Yaris when you first bought it. Are you now emotionally attached to it?
Yes;I get emotionally attached to all my cars. The lone exception was -- I think -- a Ford Prism (?) I had to drive after an accident just until I found my next dream car. I wasn't thrilled with the Yaris's interior at first, but it grew on me. Now, after 15 years and 130k miles, my Yaris feels like an extension of my body; it's a friend. It'll be hard to let it go.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:12 AM

12,637 posts, read 9,774,207 times
Hmmmm, when I had the Volvo S70, I basically liked the car fine, and had set it up with Koni shocks and IPD sway bars so it handled pretty decent... repairs began to add up but I had been laid off and my employment situation wasn't great for a time, so I hung onto what I had as the miles added up to 200k and more. The S70's engine got cooked when I ignored the "frequent false alarm" dash lights once too often, but then I already had a good gig again and bought an Accord... was getting it serviced a year later when the dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse to upgrade to the next generation Accord - I didn't need it, but wanted it, and they're reasonably priced and I got a good deal... loved the 2013 Accord and kept it for 6 years and then traded it in on a 2019 Subaru Forester.. I could have kept the Accord longer - it was actually still in fine condition as it had always been serviced "by the book", but I'd put 125k miles on it and gotten value over 6 years, my money situation was okay, so I made the switch.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:37 AM

25,666 posts, read 17,416,961 times
Could be the best bet for people like me who don't like gadgets is to find a vehicle we want and set aside a few grand to renovate it. I'm not saying restore it, just bring the transmission, engine and suspension back up to specs.

It would be easier for me here in the south, than it would for some other folks. Our frames don't ever rust out unless you live near the salt water coast.
A good case in point was made by the poster who pointed out his catalytic converter in his 05 Jeep cost 1200. Mine for my 90 GMC cost $150.
Good prospects are out there! I have a renter who has a perfectly good Suburban parked in the driveway; has been for years. She'd sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive