Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 04:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 741,023 times

Advertisements

The correct suspension setup for a low-traction surface is a low-rate suspension
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 06:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,777,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
The correct suspension setup for a low-traction surface is a low-rate suspension
Reality check time!

No, people are not going to change out springs and shocks along with putting on snow tires.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:27 PM

1,212 posts, read 741,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Reality check time!

No, people are not going to change out springs and shocks along with putting on snow tires.

During snowstorms, leave the sports-car at home and drive the sedan or the cross-over.

But at the track, during a rainstorm, possibly disconnect the swaybar links. Certainly, turn the adjustments on the shocks.

Last edited by T Block; 02-06-2023 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-06-2023, 09:01 PM

8,553 posts, read 4,813,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Reality check time!

Correct. I am not going to spend the money to change tires on “not my car” when I’m not using it for very long. Let alone suspension.

Last edited by jcp123; 02-06-2023 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-07-2023, 05:29 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,384,316 times
Quote:
During snowstorms, leave the sports-car at home and drive the sedan or the cross-over.

But at the track, during a rainstorm, possibly disconnect the swaybar links. Certainly, turn the adjustments on the shocks.

This is absolute nonsense. A stiff suspension car with good snow tires is just fine in the snow. I’ve run Nokian Hakkapelliita tires on a sport tuned daily driver. Until it bottomed out, it had better winter driving performance than my barge of an SUV. Lighter weight in the snow means shorter stopping distance and better traction in corners. A heavy car wants to go straight no matter what you give it for steering and braking inputs. That’s totally independent of the way the suspension is tuned.

I run higher aspect ratio tires in the winter because pot holes and damaged wheels.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:56 AM

12,637 posts, read 9,774,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I recall the WR was a bit older than that. 2001, I believe. I ran the studless Hakkapeliitta Q on a VW GTI in 2001 and the WR had just come out. I have a bunch of ski friends with Southern New England/NYC tri-state commutes who swore by it. A full snow tire won't take the miles.

Nokian uses rapeseed. Canola is a genetically modified rapeseed that is altered to be edible.
A premium winter tire will perform better in winter, but it won't handle well in summer and it will wear out quickly if driven year round. According to Nokian's statements, they use canola oil...

"We are already using renewable raw materials, including canola oil and pine oil, because canola oil, for instance, improves the rubber compound’s durability and grip on ice, explains Vice President, Research and Development Juha Pirhonen."
https://www.nokiantires.com/company/...rt-technology/

"The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 has a unique tread compound: it contains Finnish canola oil, which not only improves the tyre's cold weather properties and enhances its tear resistance but also improves the tyre's environmental friendliness... Pressed from seeds of the canola plant, which is a member of the cabbage family, canola oil is a biodegradable and renewable natural resource that is an environmental alternative to non-renewable petroleum-based oils."
https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/...th-canola-oil/

" In addition to large amount of natural rubber, the compound also contains canola oil for added ice grip and tear strength."
https://www.nokiantires.com/company/...fessional-use/

"The Canola oil that is added to the rubber compound emphasises the eco-friendly nature of the Nokian WR G3 SUV. The eco-friendly Canola oil maximizes tear strength, making this new-generation all-weather product more durable and increasing wet, ice and snow grip under extreme conditions."
https://www.nokiantires.com/company/...ll-conditions/

Old 02-07-2023, 07:27 AM

4,247 posts, read 3,788,239 times
Experience. AWD and snow tires arent going to help if you dont know how to drive in it.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:52 AM

4,633 posts, read 2,777,660 times
Quote:

Did the topic change from "Driving in snow? tips? tricks?" to "adjusting your sports car's suspension for track racing in rainy conditions"? Did I miss something?

Old 02-07-2023, 08:00 AM

15,835 posts, read 20,635,638 times
I drive maybe 20-50 miles out of my typical annual 12K miles a year in the snow.

I can't be bothered to swap on snow tires, let alone crawl under the car to disconnect sway bars and install softer springs. That's not a practical solution.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,241,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s my first winter in a place with actual winters. It’s currently single digits for temps with a wind chill below zero and there’s snow. I had a full blown panic attack meltdown driving in these conditions today.

I did play around in a parking lot for a bit which I thought would help, but it really didn’t. Currently driving my sister’s car since the transmission in my van went out, so buying snow tires is out of the question at the moment. Any tips on how to feel more comfortable driving in these conditions? I didn’t exactly want to live here, but family matters made it so, and for the foreseeable future I’m stuck living in snow hell, USA.
I grew up in snow so maybe I'm no help here. I rode my bicycle in snow way before it was cool. If it is now. I wrapped rope around the tires/wheels because nobody made chains for bicycle tires.

I spent at least a couple of 30 minute sessions in deserted snow covered parking lots doing skids, slides, control, and recovery. Maybe there are some videos what would be helpful. I was also a natural driver, an uncle let me steer when I was maybe 12 and drive the car when 14 or so.

If you're a musician you practice music. If you're a ball player you have practice. If you're acting in a play you have rehearsals. So IMO practicing driving in snow in a deserted parking lot should be instructive. If not, go fish for a skid/slide control driver training program. It's pretty much a matter of training your instincts. When I was a kid and we raced go-carts, the first time the rear end started to come around on me I did what came naturally, I steered in the direction I had been going in. I was corrected, "You steer into the skid." AKA you countersteer, you do what doesn't seem natural. I learned that, that fixed it.

Good luck. I also use winter tires. Wouldn't be without them. I didn't use them for the longest time. But my first winter driving with snow tires made a True Believer out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive