Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 08:04 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times

Advertisements

Its really not hard to drive larger vehicles and those I've owned have been quite easy to maneuver. Though they were wide, the SUV's of my early driving days were short. But my past quad cab ram and the super crew F150 I just sold were quite maneuverable as well for what they are. Quite easy to drive and park. Backing in is a piece of cake with them. Using the mirrors actually let me guide them right down the center.

I'm more worried about the other idiots zipping in with their so called "nimble" car that they can't control as they have no idea where the corners are.

Width of assorted vehicles that I've been used to, not counting mirrors, of the time

Wide but short wheelbase and highly maneuverable
78/79 Bronco 79.3"
76 Cherokee 75.3
76 Cherokee Chief 78.9
80/81/88 Bronco 78

Wide with longer wheelbases and the longer trucks are more maneuverable than the shorter Caprice!
80 Suburban 80
84 Caprice 75.4
04/07 Dodge Ram 79.5
18/20 F150 79.9

Yep, spaces are getting smaller. One reason why I try to park a bit farther away and, on an end, next to curb. My fat ass can use the extra walking anyway. Thing is there always seems to be some idiot who feels its a good idea so they park right next to me in a wide open area.

Last edited by marlinfshr; 02-11-2023 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 10:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
You're on to something. What if people exit through the front or rear of a car? That can be Tesla's next gimmick.
Floor trap door, with a telescoping ladder. Then vehicles will be made really, really tall! Heck, add a loft...

Old 02-12-2023, 06:47 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Weren't vehicles supposed to get smaller as we get into the 2020's and 2030's? They keep getting bigger and people just don't know how to drive, let alone park while still being considerate to everyone else. I guess we'll just live with door dings everywhere.

"Increasingly, cars are too big for parking spaces, especially in parking garages and other paid parking lots where developers pay close attention to space size. Like the proverbial frog in a slowly heating pot of water, our cars have gotten ever-so-gradually bigger with each passing year, but the parking space standards have barely budged. Now, in the third decade of the growing car size trend, people are starting to notice."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3py...parking-spaces
Without reading the article, I'll say a big(ger?) part of the 'problem' may be the parking lot designer. Don't know what the 'standards' say, but I've found several Love's parking spaces too narrow for even smaller cars... and Lowe's parking lots where the 'driveways' weren't wide enough to maneuver a pickup truck comfortably.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:27 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
I love the guys with the long bed and then a four-foot trailer hitch. Back in, wheels to curb, blocking the whole sidewalk and half the lawn.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:32 AM

7,782 posts, read 3,803,815 times
All parking spots should accommodate a full size truck such as this one:

Old 02-12-2023, 07:44 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Cosco parking spaces are nice and wide so you can open your doors to load your stuff.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:23 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
More profitable for them AND taxing entities to make the houses with vast “finished living space” instead of mere storage/parking space.

I agree that the average house, including big expensive ones, have absolutely pitiful garage and storage space.

Someone once told me that her and her husband’s ideal home was, mostly, a 50’x50’ garage building with a small living area inside it. I totally agree! Not that it is everybody’s perfect house, only that such different notions shouldn’t be outlawed in HOA developments or considered inferior or weird. Not everyone raises kids or “entertains” groups of people or wants a sea of furniture.
some friends built their own home. It looked huge; consisted of two 2-car garages (used for workshops and storage) and a 2-car carport (to park cars) all side by side, plus a tiny 1-bed/1-bath house.

They later added a larger house, and the original one became an in-law unit.

Other friends live in a tightly packed subdivision, maybe 1/6-acre lots with just 3-4 feet between houses. Each house has a 2-car garage (presumably used for storage) and a 2-car driveway. The driveways are full of cars, and more cars are parked lining both sides of the street (against the unenforced HOA rules), so there's only room for one lane of traffic. If 2 cars are going opposite ways, one of us has to pull over.

I miss having a garage, just have a 1-car carport. Our only storage is in the indoor closets. House was manufactured in 1978. Our larger car (Honda Pilot) is too wide to park in the second parking spot, and I need to get the pick and move some rocks to make room.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:22 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I guess now we’re going to rail against the size/dimensions of vehicles instead of weight. Back in the day, I remember reading criticism about SUVs because they are ‘heavy and dangerous’ but now that EVs are heavy due to the battery, we’re not concerned about weight anymore. Heavy is now acceptable.

Either way, I agree with the others who cite the “land yacht” vehicles of yesteryear. Those were definitely big!
I agree. The Toyota Rav4 Prime: 73.0" wide and 180.9" long, weighs about as much as the 1976 Chevrolet Impala I earlier mentioned: 4235-4300 pounds.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:22 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Weren't vehicles supposed to get smaller as we get into the 2020's and 2030's? They keep getting bigger and people just don't know how to drive, let alone park while still being considerate to everyone else. I guess we'll just live with door dings everywhere.

"Increasingly, cars are too big for parking spaces, especially in parking garages and other paid parking lots where developers pay close attention to space size. Like the proverbial frog in a slowly heating pot of water, our cars have gotten ever-so-gradually bigger with each passing year, but the parking space standards have barely budged. Now, in the third decade of the growing car size trend, people are starting to notice."

No way. Most vehicles today are smaller and only a few luxury models are about the same size as what used to be a common mid-size 4 door sedan in the 70s, driven by working class people. Most of those are NOT American cars by the way.

Maybe what's bothering you is the fact that the parking spots have shrunk too much relative to the widths of the modern cars. But there is no doubt that cars today are smaller. Some of those battleships from the 70s were impossible to parallel park and real difficult to park anywhere. Many of the old Lincolns and Caddys were approaching 17-18 feet long. Dodge made one that was almost 19 feet long. And these were 4 door sedans. Not station wagons.

Today are smaller; ESPECIALLY by weight.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:51 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:

No, our cars are not getting too big. The parking spaces are too small. Anyone who's been around long enough to have driven a classic Impala or station wagon pre mid 70s has seen the size go down. What they call a full size car today was a compact car in the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive