Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 12:43 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times

Advertisements

Well it is New Jersey where you are not allowed to even fill your own gas tank. Will you be allowed to plug in your EV at home or will you have to hire an electrician to do it everyday?

Old 02-17-2023, 12:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Well it is New Jersey where you are not allowed to even fill your own gas tank. Will you be allowed to plug in your EV at home or will you have to hire an electrician to do it everyday?
Only a Union electrician with current NJ certification to insert the plug and enter the unique code to initialze the charge (only union and certified elect will be allowed to have the code)

Old 02-17-2023, 12:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I hope these bans will be reversed in time. It's certainly possible that all the issues with EVs for all the people with different circumstances will be solved within the next decade. But maybe not - it's not a given.
Blanket edicts do not meet the diverse needs of consumers or transportation industry.

Alternative fuels could mitigate the emssions to meet or exceed requirements, and not burden the infrastructure or require changing vehicles. Lots can happen in 12 yrs (if allowed),

CARB has a ONE track mind (Preference to EV), The USA has a lot more Followers, than they have Leaders. (Our left coast (Me-Too) state jumps on the CARB band wagon before their ink is dry... )

Old 02-18-2023, 03:27 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
New Jersey will ban the sales of gas powered car beginning in 2035. The latest state to do so following the lead of California and New York.

https://newjersey.news12.com/governo...ew-jersey-2035
Why not work on ways to reduce emissions from the tailpipe? Already, gasoline powered vehicles have way lower emissions than 50 years ago. If we could scrub/capture the particulates, NO2, and sulfur compounds, that pretty much leaves only CO2.

There’s a lot of shale oil in the ground, enough to meet our transportation needs for decades to come, and to supply the rest of the world as well. We should be pumping that stuff at full volume, along with shale gas, while building natural gas and nuclear power plants to meet future demand, as more and more e-devices are adopted, not just cars but e-bikes, gadgets in the home, electric mass transit, etc.

The latest Prius is a work of art. It goes 57 miles per gallon, and runs for 35 miles in EV mode. Why force inferior EVs on people when a hybrid is best of both worlds? Even just a conventional modern gasoline car gets decent enough mileage and exceeds the range of any EV, at a much lower price point.

These CARB people with their political agenda know nothing about cars and transportation and the energy industry. We have the greatest automotive system in the world and we should build on it, not just force arbitrary changes that reduce our ability to get places cheaply and efficiently.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2023, 03:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I hope these bans will be reversed in time. It's certainly possible that all the issues with EVs for all the people with different circumstances will be solved within the next decade. But maybe not - it's not a given.

I'm surprised to read that he signed the bill because the state has been hurting for gasoline tax money that they lost when people started working from home. Last I read, they were looking at different ways that they are going to take these EV owners to recover gasoline taxes lost from that vehicle.

Hopefully someone else will eventually reverse it at some point. It could be a royal PITA to go to another state to buy a used gasoline powered vehicle.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:36 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Yes, they will move the deadline back 10 years as it approaches. They have no choice. Not only will the electric grid not support an EV mandate, there isn't enough resources available to build that many EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
checking Worldometer site shows the predicted end of oil discover in the world as 40 years and counting.

https://www.worldometers.info
We have been hearing about peak oil for 40 or 50 years now.

Thankfully we are approaching actual viability for some energy sources that can replace oil.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:29 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Yes, they will move the deadline back 10 years as it approaches. They have no choice. Not only will the electric grid not support an EV mandate, there isn't enough resources available to build that many EVs.
The trouble with waiting until the deadline approaches is the ICE infrastructure of gas stations and repair facilities will whither in anticipation of 2035. The deferral has to be a lot sooner.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:05 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
As a consumer if my state bans sales of a certain car, I can still go to another state buy it there.

I don't think the regulations ban residents' ownership or registration of the vehicle. Do they?

Old 02-19-2023, 10:17 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/new...0230215b.shtml

Seems to be it is goal and target setting... I don't see the "tyranny" of banning that many are saying.
When people who know nothing about the free market manipulate the free market based on a Big Lie that is pure mythology, and limiting what citizens can purchase for their basic transportation needs, you can call it tyranny you can call it control freaks but in the grand scheme of things if ALL gas vehicles were parked today, it would make not an ounce of difference in global output of the mythological gremlin carbon. Because China India and others keep building coal plants, for starters.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:36 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
So are we in favor of nuclear power yet? How do we charge up all those EV's? How to we power all those electric stoves?
Nearly half of NJ’s power comes from Nuclear.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive