Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 06:49 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I couldn’t careless about the environment. How do you explain me when I tell you unequivocally that even though I drive far more than the average American it’s been nothing but convenient?

If something as fickle as sound matters to you, why did you buy one to begin with? You made a poor decision for your situation and desires, now you want to blame it on the technology when these factors were easy to research beforehand.
I gave it a shot. However, it has proven to be a massive mistake. You can’t do half of the things with an EV that you can with a gas car. Charging has gotten more expensive. Cold weather reduces the range. The battery itself has depleted significantly and only charges about 85-90% what it did originally. It’s not efficient on any level. If you don’t remember to charge the day before and you have to drive a decent distance the next day, good luck. Hybrid is the way to go. EVs are horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 06:53 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Again, YOU can’t. Speak for yourself. I drive far more now because it’s cheap and convenient as opposed to expensive and inconvenient. There hasn’t been a single time my Tesla limited me. Not when I decided to drive to Florida after Ian on an hour’s notice. Not when I had to drive to Rochester - 6 hours - and back in one day for work. Not when it’s been parked at the end of a dirt road in Adirondacks while I’m camping 3 miles into the woods.

Nothing but awesome.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-26-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Again, YOU can’t. Speak for yourself. I drive far more now because it’s cheap and convenient as opposed to expensive and inconvenient. There hasn’t been a single time my Tesla limited me. Not when I decided to drive to Florida after Ian on an hour’s notice. Not when I had to drive to Rochester - 6 hours - and back in one day for work. Not when it’s been parked at the end of a dirt road in Adirondacks while I’m camping 3 miles into the woods.

Nothing but awesome.
Find that extremelyyyyy hard to believe. So taking your EV on a long road trip is more efficient?? Haha sure. It can add 1-2 hours easily to a trip (one way). Gas stations are everywhere and take less than 5 mins to be in and out. You are literally the only person on earth that would say an EV is more efficient for lengthy drives/trips. Come back down to reality. Stop lying.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:00 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Early adopters help with the devlopment cycle. Sometimes you have to be patient. It seems easier to own an EV if you are passionate about it, hence more patient and less likely to be upset with problems. Most people who only do short local trips probably don't experience the problems of people who drive multiples of their EV's range.

From the article...

Tony Quiroga, editor-in-chief of Car and Driver, has been forced to wander the aisles of a Walmart in Burbank, California, while the EV he's testing that day sits and charges. He's become a familiar face at a Mexican restaurant in Mohave, California, where a Tesla charger is located. A coffee shop recently opened nearby that caters specifically to EV drivers.

"I imagine an ecosystem will be built around charging stations eventually," he told ABC News. "Longer trips bring up flaws with EVs. People are leery of taking them on long trips -- that's why older EVs don't have 40,000 miles on them."

Voelcker said he's seen little improvement in the nation's charging infrastructure in the last four years and frequently hears complaints of dead chargers and sticky cables.

"The incentive right now is to get stations in the ground," he said. "It's not making sure they actually work."

Quiroga of Car and Driver said the "teething pains" EV owners previously experienced have greatly improved.

Voelcker pointed out that the bulk of charging for EV owners takes place at home, not on the road. The majority of owners use public chargers two or three times a year, he said.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:02 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Whether is cutting edge tech, wanting to be "green", or being in with the in crowd, I think EV owners see their cars as much more than transportation. It is a club.

I think this line from the article is key.

"It's a social experience ... EV owners love to talk about their cars and talk to other EV owners," he noted. "It's a new tech and everyone is learning at the same pace and sharing their experiences."

Old 02-26-2023, 07:04 PM

You said they were limiting. I’m saying mine is not. If you want to change topics to efficiency, they are in fact more efficient as well.

Apparently you want to “cannonball run” road trips. I don’t. Stopping for 15-20 min every 2-3 hours is refreshing. Using FSD whole cruising down boring highways is relaxing. I’ve driven cross country numerous times in gas cars. My one truly long road trip in the Tesla was so much that when I repeat the same trip April, I’m taking it again over our gas car (which is barely used anymore).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-26-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
You said they were limiting. I’m saying mine is not. If you want to change topics to efficiency, they are in fact more efficient as well.

Apparently you want to “cannonball run” road trips. I don’t. Stopping for 15-20 min every 2-3 hours is refreshing. Using FSD whole cruising down boring highways is relaxing. I’ve driven cross country numerous times in gas cars. My one truly long road trip in the Tesla was so much that when I repeat the same trip April, I’m taking it again over our gas car (which is barely used anymore).
Stopping for 15-20 mins might literally add 40-50 miles to your range. You will be stopping constantly and that time will add up quickly. EVs are not as efficient as gas, not even remotely close lol.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Whether is cutting edge tech, wanting to be "green", or being in with the in crowd, I think EV owners see their cars as much more than transportation. It is a club.

I think this line from the article is key.

"It's a social experience ... EV owners love to talk about their cars and talk to other EV owners," he noted. "It's a new tech and everyone is learning at the same pace and sharing their experiences."
As I’ve written here hundreds of times, I bought mine because I drive a ton of miles for work and gas was killing me. Now, I never have to stop for gas or charging while putting 80-150 miles on my car 2-5 days a week, and road trips are far more relaxing and enjoyable than I expected.

The initial plan was to use the Outback for road trips and towing my jetski. The Tesla is the primary vehicle for both now.

There’s only one argument here: speaking for other people. It’s always dumb to do so, but on this topic it seems to be the order of the day. They’re even doing it in the section of the article you quoted above. I’m not “ignoring problems.” They simply aren’t there.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Stopping for 15-20 mins might literally add 40-50 miles to your range.
This is false. Level 3 chargers - superchargers - add 150-250kw per hour (some even faster, though more rare). In 15-20 minutes nearly half of my 75kwh battery “filled” at even the slowest of Tesla chargers. You literally bought a car you know nothing about.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:20 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
If you barely drive, the benefits of EV will never be realized. You know I and others have said this many times over.
From a practical sense, I do want a small EV. Don’t have the current budget to afford the price (new vehicle purchase) nor the cost of installing an electrical connection in my covered parking at home. Even a Nissan Leaf would suit my needs well. But we’re paying on my wife’s vehicle while handing other expenses along with much higher grocery bills and ongoing medical bills. Perhaps when wife’s vehicle is paid off then I can afford an EV and the cost of installing a new breaker panel and running a new line to the covered parking (no electrical outlet there right now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive