Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 09:12 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
What you mistakenly asset as a fact is, in your own words, a single data point: your personal experience.
Ok.... well have you? I wasn't posting anecdotes. My explanation was how the chargers operate.

Of course there can be problems which change the numbers I posted, but those are the operating conditions under which chargers are supposed to perform. I didn't post anecdotes. I was posting facts about the supercharger network.

Certainly that poster could have been driving a lemon or only visiting poorly operating chargers. Absent those factors, Teslas do not charge 50 miles in 15-20 minutes. That's not an anecdote. It's a fact.

That poster didn't even know what wh/m means. I think I can rest my case.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 09:18 AM

Wh/M is very important because it could explain the drop to 263 (whatever the number was) that poster was quoting. If he's using more energy than the car's range estimate was derived from, then of course that number will drop.

A fact many novices or "outsiders" don't understand is that if the 100% range display is lower than the rated range for the vehicle, it is most likely not indicative of battery degradation but rather higher than average energy usage.

My Outback is rated for something like 27 mpg overall. The current average displayed by the car is 23.5. It's no different but for some reason when an EV mentions this, they're "arguing" or as you said, "attacking".

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-27-2023, 11:04 AM

8,361 posts, read 6,454,154 times
I have a friend who rents a car for trips just for less mileage on his gas car.
I wamt a Bolt not so much to save money, my Integra gets good mileage, I buy my gas at Cosco, am near 80 and don't drive that much, my Integra is old although reliable I worry about it, Everyone and I mean everyone on Bolt forums love them. I can charge at home conveniently even on 110 volts.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 9,633,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I wamt a Bolt not so much to save money, my Integra gets good mileage, I buy my gas at Cosco, am near 80 and don't drive that much, my Integra is old although reliable I worry about it, Everyone and I mean everyone on Bolt forums love them. I can charge at home conveniently even on 110 volts.
The Bolt platform isn't the latest, but Chevy is currently offering them at a great price - arguably the best EV deal going in the USA anyways. They did get a refresh at the end of last year with some meaningful improvements, including stretching the vehicle in the new EUV variant. Hyundai is going to come out with an all new Kona EV later this year - that is probably worth waiting for, to see what that will be and what it will cost.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If I decide on an EV SUV for my next car, we’ll look at Bolt or even smaller vehicles for my wife who barely drives. The great benefit of battery cars is you can buy one more tailored to your needs. A true “around town” car priced accordingly would be perfect for her. Hopefully this becomes more common.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:04 PM

6,829 posts, read 9,383,732 times
I know some people get VERY touchy about any criticism of EVs, but it seems like this article is more about the charging woes faced by people who drive non-Tesla EVs. As an outsider but someone who reads various forums related to EVs, it seems like the Tesla experience is above and beyond the experience of other vehicles that rely on the patchwork of non-Tesla charging stations, which honestly, seem like a hot mess right now. I’m sure over time it will get better.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:17 PM

9,525 posts, read 9,850,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Have a Tesla now. Getting rid of it in less than two months. Worst car I’ve ever had. Takes forever to charge, range has been depleted by more than 10% in less than two years, not enough charging stations, I could go on and on. EVs are stupid and not the future. So ready to get back to a gas car here soon.
With all the reviews, news articles, YouTube videos, countless web pages filled with Tesla information...you are just finding out that a Tesla is not for you?

I don't know how anyone could do their research and not figure out that Teslas or EV's in general, are not for everyone.

I do love my EV though.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:36 PM

12,915 posts, read 22,082,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I'd like to see more aggressive PHEV options - closer to 100 mi electric-only which would cover most commutes (some of them have such low Electric-only range even a modest 25 mi round trip is dicey in real-world scenarios). I think that could work esp. if it uses the gas engine as a generator vs. to propel the wheels.
Same here. To be honest, mine gets around 40 miles (a little more or less depending on the weather) and I'm surprised at how big of an impact it has actually made. Most of what I'm driving to is around 10 miles or less. But it would be more useful for a lot more people if 100 was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yours is a reasonable and clearly well researched example of how an individual/family should approach the conversion from gas to EV transportation.

As I pointed out above, anyone who claims to have experienced the "failures" of EV life while ranting about the lack of sound is exposing their failure to do even basic level research before making what amounts to a quantum leap of faith while upending a very important part of their lifestyle.
Yeah, I'm fairly surprised by how many people appear to have made such a large transition with a shockingly limited understanding of the changes they'd be making. It's wild enough that I'm not unconvinced that some posters (here and elsewhere) have bought into political rhetoric and are lying about having experience to "prove" the point. If you buy an EV and don't realize there won't be engine noise, or don't understand the charging infrastructure along your most frequently driven routes, that's squarely on you. I hope that in some of these cases, they are lying rather than being just so woefully inept on the homework front.

That's not to say there aren't surprises for buyers who have done extensive homework. The decline in range in extreme cold was even worse than I anticipated (watching the estimated battery level by the time you reach the destination drop so quickly as you head north and the temp plummets is jarring), and I had done a ton of reading on it. On the other hand, Level 1 charging was actually more useful than I thought it would be considering that the literature on it seems to imply that it's barely better than nothing. We were fine with it at relatives and friends homes. But most of it shouldn't be too shocking with even a basic amount of reading.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:50 PM

17,638 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Same here. To be honest, mine gets around 40 miles (a little more or less depending on the weather) and I'm surprised at how big of an impact it has actually made. Most of what I'm driving to is around 10 miles or less. But it would be more useful for a lot more people if 100 was possible.

Yeah, I'm fairly surprised by how many people appear to have made such a large transition with a shockingly limited understanding of the changes they'd be making. It's wild enough that I'm not unconvinced that some posters (here and elsewhere) have bought into political rhetoric and are lying about having experience to "prove" the point. If you buy an EV and don't realize there won't be engine noise, or don't understand the charging infrastructure along your most frequently driven routes, that's squarely on you. I hope that in some of these cases, they are lying rather than being just so woefully inept on the homework front.

That's not to say there aren't surprises for buyers who have done extensive homework. The decline in range in extreme cold was even worse than I anticipated (watching the estimated battery level by the time you reach the destination drop so quickly as you head north and the temp plummets is jarring), and I had done a ton of reading on it. On the other hand, Level 1 charging was actually more useful than I thought it would be considering that the literature on it seems to imply that it's barely better than nothing. We were fine with it at relatives and friends homes. But most of it shouldn't be too shocking with even a basic amount of reading.
Personal belief, some who quickly made the switch were virtue signaling or purchasing a status symbol instead of a vehicle to suit their needs. Sadly too many consumers do this for luxury vehicles, performance vehicles,or special edition trucks. Locally I see low income people buying used BMW or Mercedes for the brand status instead of making the more sensible purchase of a more reliable brand of the same price like a Toyota or Honda for example.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:59 AM

1,498 posts, read 802,643 times
Buying a used BMW or Mercedes might be the better choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive