Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 07:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is false. Level 3 chargers - superchargers - add 150-250kw per hour (some even faster, though more rare). In 15-20 minutes nearly half of my 75kwh battery “filled” at even the slowest of Tesla chargers. You literally bought a car you know nothing about.
Dude, I’ve forgotten more about this car than you will ever know. Superchargers start out very fast and slow tremendously with time. If you have 50 miles left on your battery and you need to charge completely, that will take every bit of 45-50 mins. A simple 15 minute stop barely does anything. You might be luckily to add 50 miles to the range. By the way you sound, beginning to think you don’t even have an EV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 07:26 PM

19,057 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
From a practical sense, I do want a small EV. Don’t have the current budget to afford the price (new vehicle purchase) nor the cost of installing an electrical connection in my covered parking at home. Even a Nissan Leaf would suit my needs well. But we’re paying on my wife’s vehicle while handing other expenses along with much higher grocery bills and ongoing medical bills. Perhaps when wife’s vehicle is paid off then I can afford an EV and the cost of installing a new breaker panel and running a new line to the covered parking (no electrical outlet there right now).
But even if you could afford it, the numbers may not work out if you’re driving low mileage. I’m saving close to $2000 annually in gas (low gas price estimate). It’s actually a little higher, especially now that my overnight charging discount finally started. If you’re not putting in the miles, you won’t save enough for it to be worthwhile.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-26-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Dude, I’ve forgotten more about this car than you will ever know. Superchargers start out very fast and slow tremendously with time. If you have 50 miles left on your battery and you need to charge completely, that will take every bit of 45-50 mins. A simple 15 minute stop barely does anything. You might be luckily to add 50 miles to the range. By the way you sound, beginning to think you don’t even have an EV.
I’ve never seen a 250kw charger go below 80kw. The numbers don’t back up anything you’re saying. That’s a fact.

Road trip charging is typically from 20%-80%. A preconditioned battery is going to accept fast charging almost immediately, and will only slow at towards the end when it gets close to 80%, about the last 2 minutes. From 20% to 80% takes roughly 30 minutes, adding close to 200 miles. A 15 min charge at at a 250kw station will add around 75-90 miles.

These are facts. You’re just making stuff up because you made a poor car buying decision and now you want to speak for everyone.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-26-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I’ve never seen a 250kw charger go below 80kw. The numbers don’t back up anything you’re saying. That’s a fact.

Road trip charging is typically from 20%-80%. A preconditioned battery is going to accept fast charging almost immediately, and will only slow at towards the end when it gets close to 80%, about the last 2 minutes. From 20% to 80% takes roughly 30 minutes, adding close to 200 miles. A 15 min charge at at a 250kw station will add around 75-90 miles.

These are facts. You’re just making stuff up because you made a poor car buying decision and now you want to speak for everyone.
So far from the truth. I do this every day. I work in sales and drive way more than you and most people. You are just trying to make the numbers look better than they are. I have a 2020 Model 3 with a range of 260. It only charges to 236 miles now and takes roughly 50 minutes to charge when there are 30-50 miles left. I don’t care about your kw per hour rates. All that matters is time at the charging station and you are wayyyy off. Done arguing here, you live is some other reality when it comes to EVs. I’m here to share the truth so others don’t make the same mistake.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:42 PM

Well we know YOU don’t care about numbers but physics and the technology we’re talking about here sure does.

You’re combating numbers with “I don’t care” and you think you won the argument? Lol

Old 02-26-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Well we know YOU don’t care about numbers but physics and the technology we’re talking about here sure does.

You’re combating numbers with “I don’t care” and you think you won the argument? Lol
I live in reality unlike you lol.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I live in reality unlike you lol.
So tell us about your wh/m average. If you want people to believe you, make it sound intelligent.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
So tell us about your wh/m average. If you want people to believe you, make it sound intelligent.
Time spent charging is all that matters. Nobody cares about wh/m average lol. People care about their time. They want efficiency. EVs create more wasted time and less efficiency. Those are the hard facts.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:53 PM

Well we’ve established that you cannot back up any of your claims and now you’ve insulted me. I tend to let one pass since I like to engage in these conversations but if you do it again the ToS will be enforced.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Well we’ve established that you cannot back up any of your claims and now you’ve insulted me. I tend to let one pass since I like to engage in these conversations but if you do it again the ToS will be enforced.
Insulted you? Where? Lol. Done arguing here. I’ll continue to spread the truth and offer sound advice for those on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive