Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 05:02 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,750,981 times

Advertisements

If you did notice my post, # 15, here is another.

We are watching ActionNews two days ago on television. They show a man's photo, and that he was arrested after he burglarized a local business in Chico, CA, during the night. Then the anchorwoman adds, "This was the third time he was arrested for similar burglaries THIS MONTH.

Way to go, it's only the 15th of April. That broken glass door must cost several hundred bucks to restore, but the perp is out before the glass company can show up.

Last edited by mgforshort; 04-18-2023 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 06:11 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
I once left my car two weeks in a motel parking lot. I unsnapped my distributor cap, litfed off the rotor and put in the cup holder. Nobody started my car.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:52 AM

13,355 posts, read 7,379,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I once left my car two weeks in a motel parking lot. I unsnapped my distributor cap, litfed off the rotor and put in the cup holder. Nobody started my car.
I left keys in the ignition of a car parked in the street for 3 days no one bothered it. Wasn't until I went looking for me keys eventually went out looked in the window seen them in the ignition. The door was locked this was 1990's didn't have a keyfob just locked the door with button closed it.

Old 04-20-2023, 12:08 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,755,973 times
With remote key fobs these days, is there an app that does not allow the car to start unless your smart phone was also with you?

I don't like tracking devices. I want to stop the theft before it happens. Good advice upthread, about prevention measures (locking, no visible items).

If I have to have items in the car, like in the back of my SUV, I drape a blanket over them so that the items are not visible. It's better than leaving them uncovered, unless all of the items inside there are obviously and visibly garbage.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:59 PM

6,710 posts, read 5,958,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I left keys in the ignition of a car parked in the street for 3 days no one bothered it. Wasn't until I went looking for me keys eventually went out looked in the window seen them in the ignition. The door was locked this was 1990's didn't have a keyfob just locked the door with button closed it.
I parked a new (rental) locked vehicle on a well lit major street in San Francisco and went to a restaurant, with 5 other family/friends. When we came back 2 hours later, someone had smashed a window and stolen a backpack with a cheese sandwich in it -- my bro-in-law's, of sentimental value but zero monetary value. They didn't take anything else because someone must have spotted them, so they fled. But they watched us from the end of the block as we approached the vehicle, wondering whether to come back.

This happens approximately 80 to 100 times a day in SF. The city authorities have chosen not to pursue car break-ins and thefts, and reporting them gets you shunted to a recorded line where your incident is logged for insurance purposes.

If you had parked your car with keys in the ignition in SF, it would have been gone within an hour or two.

Don't drive into SF and park. If you must park, it should be in some kind of guarded lot. Better still, don't go to SF. Don't even go to California.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:07 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,755,973 times
… or, just don’t leave a backpack visible in the car.

Or you can post a sign in big block letters: THE ONLY THING IN THIS BACKPACK IS A CHEESE SANDWICH. Maybe that’d have prevented the break in, LOL.

Old 04-22-2023, 05:51 AM

6,710 posts, read 5,958,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
… or, just don’t leave a backpack visible in the car.

Or you can post a sign in big block letters: THE ONLY THING IN THIS BACKPACK IS A CHEESE SANDWICH. Maybe that’d have prevented the break in, LOL.
People are basically doing that. Leaving their cars unlocked, with signs saying there’s nothing of value.

Old 04-23-2023, 05:22 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
Anyone tried trunk monkey? humor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidAXgq9dWc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive