Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 09:54 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,328,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Going by my pre 16 yea told tastes? A 911 convertible. Or a DeLorean, as problematic as they are, would still like one.
DeLoreans may have evolved into something really good if they survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 05:48 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
They had terrible drive lines. They really only had the wow factor with the gullwing doors and stainless body.

No doubt the Back to the Future movies added to the allure. I've never wanted one (either in the 80s or today) but I have to admire the guy that designed/built them for taking the chance.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:39 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,164,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
An older friend got one new and told me his story. Was out one evening after recently getting it and his door wouldn’t open and needed gas. At said gas station he had to wait until another person drove up, then he called them over from tiny window that opened and try and convince them to pump his fuel and have them go pay with cash he gave them. After that fiasco he made his way home and read entire owners manual about how to get out to no avail. Ended up after long period of time and luckily he’s capable of doing it, kicked/pushed windshield out with his feet. Sold it next day at a loss.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:35 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,366,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
British Leyland MG Midget. Don't know if they make it anymore or if that's a PC name in our current culture, so perhaps it's called something else.

Saw it in some giant, glossy magazine of lofty taste, one I wouldn't normally come across. But, the ad had 2 happy looking, young people in love & at 13, I thought if I grew up to have a bf with the car or buy one of my own, I'd get the relationship, too.

Ah, yeah, thus far... nope to both.

I'd still like that cool little car.
Its now the British Leyland MG Little Person.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:54 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,332,948 times
Quote:
British Leyland MG Midget. Don't know if they make it anymore or if that's a PC name in our current culture, so perhaps it's called something else.
Stopped being made in 1980.

Despite containing profitable marques such as Jaguar, Rover and Land Rover, as well as the best-selling Mini, British Leyland Motor Cars (BLMC) had a troubled history, leading to its eventual collapse in 1975 and subsequent part-nationalisation.

After much restructuring and divestment of subsidiary companies, BL was renamed the Rover Group in 1986, becoming a subsidiary of British Aerospace from 1988 to 1994, then was subsequently bought by BMW. The final surviving incarnation of the company as the MG Rover Group went into administration in 2005, bringing mass car production by British-owned manufacturers to an end. MG and the Austin, Morris and Wolseley marques became part of China's SAIC, with whom MG Rover attempted to merge prior to administration.

So MG is now a Chinese company making boring sedans and crossovers, though they do have a new sports car coming out, but it's a larger electric one.
Quote:
Saw it in some giant, glossy magazine of lofty taste, one I wouldn't normally come across. But, the ad had 2 happy looking, young people in love & at 13, I thought if I grew up to have a bf with the car or buy one of my own, I'd get the relationship, too.

Ah, yeah, thus far... nope to both.

I'd still like that cool little car.
I've had 2 of them, a 1971 and a 1979. Fun little cars, but typical of later British Leyland cars, quite unreliable. So tiny, as well. Wouldn't mind having another one, though taking it out in modern traffic would not be my choice...

This is the only picture I have of my 1971 MG Midget:
Attached Thumbnails
you get a free car but it must be one you wanted growing up , whats the car?-midget.jpg  

Old 04-18-2023, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 832 times
Default Mustang

Mustang

Old 04-18-2023, 02:06 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,428,499 times
In 1969 my dad had a new Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum, Green metallic. I was a young teenager at the time. My dad let me drive it once, with him in a new sub-division he was building houses in. My older sister would sometimes have to go to the store for my mother. I would tag along and ask her to go the back way, to let it run a little. I still remember the way it ran and being pinned to the seat. Later if I would of inherited that car, I would probably be dead.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:05 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,782,333 times
Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Chocolate Brown with a black top. That, to me, was the epitome of taste & class. That's what I saw in the issues of Town & Country I'd fished out of the Bootlegger's wife's garbage. And it appeared in New Yorker ads, in the magazines I fished out of the School Superintendent's wife's garbage.

The first Rolls Royce I actually saw, in real-life, was one half-buried in a landfill. This was around '84. We were on a trip to Jackson, Mississippi, while I was going for my undergrad degree. The land was across the river from Jackson, in swampland which had once been rife with gambling, bootlegging, and prostitution, and known as the "Gold Coast": Jackson Jambalaya: The Gold Coast of Rankin County

In the first half of the 20th Century, all sorts of scary types jumped-train at Jackson, and hid in the Gold Coast swamps, coming to work in various illegal enterprises. Later, some of them attained wealth and prominence.

Later, descendants of those bootleggers and brothelkeepers, crawled out of the swamp, and up Lefleur's Bluff, into Jackson, changed their names, became very loudly religious, and became the 'First Families' of Jackson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kkgb-MOIk4

In the '70s, an heiress with steel mills on former Gold Coast land, gave a Silver Shadow to her beautiful fancyman. When not pleasing the heiress, the fancyman would go to a highway rest stop across the metro, where he'd service truckers. Well, one day, a lawman's son bragged to his "dad", that "some guy in a Rolls Royce" had been giving him improper attentions at that rest stop.

The lawman and some cronies, in their pickup trucks (no mention of whether they were wearing wifebeaters or sleeveless plaid shirts), surrounded the Silver Shadow. With baseball bats, they beat that poor Rolls Royce to smithereens, and beat the fancyman into a vegetative state.

I presume the heiress owned the land getting the landfill. And I presume that either the car was buried (under what was, ironically, to become a big-giant truck stop) as a memorial to the fancyman, or that postwar British steel is so inferior (as car guys maintain) that metals recyclers don't want it.

I'm remembering the stripped front of the car, sticking out of the infill mud, as being Silver (which I consider bad Feng Shui for cars: a sure sign that money problems are on the horizon for the Owner). Nobody else in our party, that afternoon, recognized it as a Rolls. Later, once we moved to Jackson, various high society sources confirmed it was a Silver Shadow, and gave me near-identical accounts of the car's fate.

But anyway, our Volvos all seemed to be modeled after the boxy little Silver Shadow, which I found comforting. And I have always refused to drive a car in silver, grey, black, or white: bad Feng Shui...

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-18-2023 at 07:24 PM..

Old 04-18-2023, 10:32 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,015,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Stopped being made in 1980.

I've had 2 of them, a 1971 and a 1979. Fun little cars, but typical of later British Leyland cars, quite unreliable. So tiny, as well. Wouldn't mind having another one, though taking it out in modern traffic would not be my choice...

This is the only picture I have of my 1971 MG Midget:
TY for the info & pic. I'll bet your 2 MG's were fun to drive.

I've always had smaller cars, living in big cities & having to street park. Can't fit a lot in them, but I could fit into parking spaces the size of postage stamps.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:35 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,332,948 times
Quote:
TY for the info & pic. I'll bet your 2 MG's were fun to drive.

I've always had smaller cars, living in big cities & having to street park. Can't fit a lot in them, but I could fit into parking spaces the size of postage stamps.

They were a blast, but I owned them before the average car got so big. Getting squooshed by a modern SUV or even a modern sedan would be bad. Easy to park but hard to see over the hood of a pickup truck. lol

Cars in general have gotten so big that my current MINI 2 seat roadster is about as small as I'd want to be out and about in for safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive