Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

"CHECK" with a little diagram of an engine block

you have to read the owners manual to know what the warning light means and the manual says that warning light means there is an issue with something in the electrical system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
"CHECK" with a little diagram of an engine block

you have to read the owners manual to know what the warning light means and the manual says that warning light means there is an issue with something in the electrical system

I see. No, thats no super cause for immediate concern. Normally its set off by an oxygen sensor, catalytic converter or something with the cars emission controls system - not your electrical system. That would be your battery or charge light. I had a 1987 Toyota Camry that the check engine light (same as yours - it said "check" and had the engine icon). Turns out on that car that the converter was clogged.

We have a 1998 Oldsmobile that has had the check engine light on since 2004 - nearly 5 years. We were told it was an oxygen sensor - we replaced it, but the light kept coming on, so we gave up. Still runs fine, but uses more gas than when it was new.

"Check engine" light issues are common problems on 1980s-1990s General Motors cars, but out of ours, thats the only one we had with a CEL issue. Our other GM cars are 1969, 1972 and 1973, so no check engine lights.

The other day the "check engine" warning light came on in my 1988 Mercedes, but it went back off. Dealer said it could be an oxygen sensor weakening, but not too be too concerned unless it stays illuminated all the time.

If if comes back on and stays on, you can take it somewhere like AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc and they will normally check whats causing it for free.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
A check engine lihgt can mean alot of different things with teh emisssions system, A check of teh codes stored will tell you.The main thing is that it won't pass inspection without repairs.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:35 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,696,447 times
Took my car to the mechanic when check engine light came on and he replaced the ignition coil,spark plug wires,plugs,and valve cover gasket.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Default tennesee storm

you still have a '72 and a '73 GM car? what kind? i loved cars from those years

i just called my mechanic and he said it doesn't sound like anything much

the car starts and runs normally

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
I don't know about Toyotas, but in my 15 years of owning Subarus the 3 cars I've had have had the check engine light come on more often then not. A 1991 Subaru that I had for 8 years had the CEL on for most of the time. It ran well and got 30 mpg over big mountain passes.

My current 2001 Outback has the CEL come on occasionally and then go off after a few days. At Autozone the code was 0420. In my cases it's probably an oxygen sensor but I'm not going to replace anything until the cars runs poorly.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 AM

349 posts, read 863,221 times
just put a piece of electrical tape over the light and voila! fixed

Old 12-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Default the car consumes...

more oil than it should but i simply replace the oil that gets burned. since 2004 the car has initially failed the emissions inspection but my mechanic knows how to get it to pass. normally it takes him only an hour of labor to get it to pass but 3 months ago last inspection it required 90 minutes of labor to pass it, even with the new exhaust system and os that were replaced last summer of '07.

for the next inspection which is due in september, if the inspection station sees that warning light on, what will they check for?

does damage to the os mean a risk of co2 poisoning, or does it just mean the car may not pass inspection?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
I am not 100% familiar with Toyota..but.....the electronic systems are somewhat generic. All vehicles built before 1995 model year have what is called OBD 1(On BOard Diagnostics, version 1) Vehicles 1995 and newer have OBD 2. OBD 1 vehicles can have the trouble codes read by inserting a paper clip, or other wire jumper between two of the terminals on the diagnostics port located usually under the dash. The check engine light will flash the trouble code to you. You can likely find a list of the trouble codes for your particular vehicle with a little searching online. The codes are NOT generic, and vary from vehicle manufacturer and even model by model from a manufacturer.
My .02, FWIW, find a Toyota forum online, and ask the question there. Highly likely they'll be able to tell you exactly how to diagnose the problem, without having to pay someone to do it for you. HTH.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM

Default thanks

in the meantime there was something else. i just opened the driver's door to the car and the door ajar light did not come on. when i manipulated the screw that the door moves on the light came on but then went out. however when i opened the passenger door the light came on normally. when i turned the key the seat belt and brake light came on normally. the car started with no problem

we had a 5 inch storm yesterday and it's cold today and miserable. is it likely to be from the weather or is this a progressive problem within the elec system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive