Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which early 70s personal luxury car?
Monte Carlo 5 17.86%
Grand Prix 6 21.43%
Toronado 2 7.14%
Riviera 4 14.29%
Eldorado 6 21.43%
Thunderbird 1 3.57%
Cougar 1 3.57%
Mark IV 10 35.71%
Satellite Sebring 1 3.57%
Charger SE 1 3.57%
300 0 0%
Matador X 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 AM

118 posts, read 251,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
I like the exterior looks of the Monte Carlo best, but the interior is pretty blah. The Lincoln Mark IV is runner up for me.

That Chrysler 300 is odd, it took me a second to figure out if I was looking at the front or back of the car in the photo.
i thnk chryslers were always butt ugly even today.... only chrysler i like is the new dodge ram trucks.... those are sweet... that lincoln mark and the big T-bird was the same car - just he tbird was a lot less expensive... actually for years the mark lincoln and the tbird have been twins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
I found the photo! Here is my uncles 1972 Ford Thunderbird.... I think it has about 55K actual miles. I think it has most every option according to the factory window sticker... It even has power antenna. Interior is showroom MINT condition... this photo was taken on October 1, 2005....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I've got a 72 Tbird

Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 AM

118 posts, read 251,272 times
thats sweet man!! i wish i'd taken more pics of my 78 and 79 big continentals.... I had them in 01-03 or so..

Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 AM

132 posts, read 370,251 times
That's a real nice one Tenneseestorm, and no worse for the wear.

You see so many cars of that era looking like rusted clunkers, it's nice to see one in such great shape for a change. It's always been a dream of mine to acquire a "time capsule" car.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Even better is how there's a 1965 Ford Falcon in front of the T bird and they're both parked in front of an old time style building...that Radio Shack logo hasn't been used for a while...can't remember the last time I saw an actual Zenith dealer....it's almost like you stepped back in time to 1972 all over again.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincsta View Post
thats sweet man!! i wish i'd taken more pics of my 78 and 79 big continentals.... I had them in 01-03 or so..
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
That's a real nice one Tenneseestorm, and no worse for the wear.

You see so many cars of that era looking like rusted clunkers, it's nice to see one in such great shape for a change. It's always been a dream of mine to acquire a "time capsule" car.
I know... these cars were bad for rusting around the back windows, but thankfully, this one has not be subjected to much rain, so its OK. The car looks even better in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Even better is how there's a 1965 Ford Falcon in front of the T bird and they're both parked in front of an old time style building...that Radio Shack logo hasn't been used for a while...can't remember the last time I saw an actual Zenith dealer....it's almost like you stepped back in time to 1972 all over again.
lol.. I know. That was taken about 20 miles south of my house in a old downtown area in a town called Elizabethton. From April-October they hold an old car cruise-in every Saturday night weather permitting... and you dont have to have a show car... just an old car and you are good to go. They close off the street and park the cars. On down the road there, they park where you can get more cars in... all of the old shops (mostly antique) stay open late, as do the old restaurants down through there... also food vendors set up. I try to go as often as possible. We also have a couple here in town, but I like to go to the one down there.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincsta View Post
i thnk chryslers were always butt ugly even today.... only chrysler i like is the new dodge ram trucks.... those are sweet... that lincoln mark and the big T-bird was the same car - just he tbird was a lot less expensive... actually for years the mark lincoln and the tbird have been twins...
The one thing that always made me wonder about Chryslers was their unibody construction, even their large models like the 300, the Newport, the New Yorker, and maybe even the Imperial (correct me on that one if I'm wrong) Unibody works okay for small to mid-sized models, but not for large personal luxury, and luxury sedans. I had a 1967 Chrysler New Yorker when I was a teen-ager in high school, and it had the unibody construction, and the interior noise level was high because there was nothing to isolate road noise from the interior, which is usually done by the rubber mounts between the frame and the body.

I'm not sure if they went to the conventional rubber mounts in the 1970s model years, but I know the ones that had the unibody construction were not rated very highly in isolating road noise.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
The personal luxury car that I remember, and liked, was the one that was featured in the movie The French Connection. I think it was a 1969 or 1970 Continental Mark III. I remember reading about those cars one time that they were hand-built, and their quality was unsurpassed.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Yeah a couple of our members here have mentioned on how some of the old road test books have mentioned how much more interior noise the Mopars omitted than their GM and Ford competitors. I forgot how much more noise the New Yorker put out than an Electra or Marquis, but it was definitely more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The one thing that always made me wonder about Chryslers was their unibody construction, even their large models like the 300, the Newport, the New Yorker, and maybe even the Imperial (correct me on that one if I'm wrong) Unibody works okay for small to mid-sized models, but not for large personal luxury, and luxury sedans. I had a 1967 Chrysler New Yorker when I was a teen-ager in high school, and it had the unibody construction, and the interior noise level was high because there was nothing to isolate road noise from the interior, which is usually done by the rubber mounts between the frame and the body.

I'm not sure if they went to the conventional rubber mounts in the 1970s model years, but I know the ones that had the unibody construction were not rated very highly in isolating road noise.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
That is a nice looking Tbird. I will have to get my Dad to take some more pics of mine, but it still needs a new vinyl top. I suppose I could always find the pics of where it sat when I bought it with a bunch of overgrowth surrounding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive