Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2019, 09:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Another advantage to the manual is the ability to drive around town at a very economical and steady lower rate of speed. By shifting between the 2nd and 3rd gears, there's always quicker acceleration available in city traffic, and when slowing, the engine compression really works as well without the need to brake.
wear would be distributed evenly between the motor and the transmission.

This is a big advantage as long as traffic moves somewhat steadily, i.e. synchronized traffic lights and other drivers smart enough to go with the flow of the lights. If those conditions are met, it’s possible to drive without having to use the brakes at all. Saving stops and shifts = better mpg.

The problem is that often one or both conditions is not met, and in cities saving money on traffic signals you might have to come to a full stop literally every block. That’s how they did it in the town we lived in for a few years, and those blocks were short, with only 2 to 4 miniscule house lots between intersecting streets.

People routinely practiced “rolling stops” because, well, because they could get away with it. In other towns that earns them a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 09:51 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
It’s too bad that most teens won’t even get the chance to find out how much fun driving a stick is.

Can’t miss what you don’t have any visceral knowledge of.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:13 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,144,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
I recently traveled to Costa Rica and attempted to rent a car. After all the paperwork was filled out the man took me to my car. It was manual transmission! I told him I did not know how to drive a stick shift car. He acted like I was crazy and then told me that in this small tourist town, that was the only car they rented. They told me I would have to go to the Capital City, San Jose CR if I wanted to rent an automatic transmission. Even there only a few cars are automatic.

He acted like I was the only American he ever met who did not know how to drive a stick shift car. I am in my 50s and have driven since I was 16 years old.

Do you drive a stick shift car? What percent of Americans could drive one who have a drivers license?
Of course I can drive a manual.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,144,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't see the point of learning to drive stick. Modern cars these days have automatic and it's just easier to drive automatic. I never learned to drive stick, mainly because I never had a chance or need to. The only people I know that drive stick are old people that learned to drive when stick was popular and rednecks that think they're Nascar drivers.
Can you change a tire?

Old 11-27-2019, 12:54 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Another advantage to the manual is the ability to drive around town at a very economical and steady lower rate of speed. By shifting between the 2nd and 3rd gears, there's always quicker acceleration available in city traffic, and when slowing, the engine compression really works as well without the need to brake.
That can also be done with most automatics. If there is slow freeway or street traffic, I leave it in 2nd gear with my 3-speed automatic (4-speed with the Lincoln). Engine compression (braking) is also true with an automatic transmission.

Quote:
After a while, shifting takes about as much mental thought as turning on a turn signal. The movement all becomes so natural it's almost automatic in the reflexes.
I'm always dancing on the brake pedal with an automatic, but I touch my brakes much less often with a manual; putting the clutch in and allowing the car to coast will often replace braking, especially when I see there is stopped traffic ahead.
I don't use the brake pedal unless necessary. Back in the 1980s, when there was much less traffic, I drove 7 miles on surface streets using the brakes only 8 times. I would coast up to red lights and they would often turn green before I got to them (yes, you can coast with an automatic transmission).

Old 11-27-2019, 01:34 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That can also be done with most automatics. If there is slow freeway or street traffic, I leave it in 2nd gear with my 3-speed automatic (4-speed with the Lincoln). Engine compression (braking) is also true with an automatic transmission.

I don't use the brake pedal unless necessary. Back in the 1980s, when there was much less traffic, I drove 7 miles on surface streets using the brakes only 8 times. I would coast up to red lights and they would often turn green before I got to them (yes, you can coast with an automatic transmission).
Why the debate drive what you want p.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:23 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
My first 4 cars were all stick shift:

1. 1987 Mazda rx-7
2. 1993 Ford Probe GT
3. 1991 Ford SHO
4. 1987 BMW M3.

Those where all when I was in my Teens/early 20’s. Now I prefer an auto for my commuter.

Stick is always more fun but dct and even cvt’s are faster nowadays.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why the debate drive what you want p.
Because I was making the point that some things that can be done with a manual can also be done with an automatic.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:09 AM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Wow 88 pages
Only 23 if yo change your view per page to 40.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:45 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,819 times
I do. I enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive