Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 7,792 times

Advertisements

I imagine it's very few.

In the decade I've had a driver's licence, with only brief periods of automatic transmission ownership, I've owned exclusively manual transmission equipped vehicles. My mother was the same way; she recently purchased her first automatic transmission equipped vehicle (only one during my lifetime), due to shoulder related ailments.

She mostly purchases new. It was a total PIA to find her two cars previous to this one, as she had a color + trim package picked out, but the majority of available models had automatic transmissions. Manual models of any trim package were few and far between; both vehicles were purchased out of state and a considerable distance from home.

Today, the only manual transmission vehicles I see are 'enthusiast cars.' The younger market, 'car guys' etc, seem to comprise the majority of manual vehicles on the road, at least in my experience. Even ten years ago, it wasn't uncommon to see manual trans light-duty pickups; I hardly see these anymore.

Personally, I've grown tired of driving manual. My next car will likely have an auto, especially with a more hectic commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
My first car was a stick shift sports car. I learned how to drive it on the way home from the dealer. I had only tried to drive one other stick shift, and that was when my father let me try is Alfa Romeo in a parking lot one day. In any event, it's not that hard to learn.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:09 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
I can drive a stick. It's not that hard. It's also not that much fun. I'd rather have a well-done automatic with the option to shift myself when I want to.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:30 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,902 times
How bad is driving a left hand stick shift?

Old 12-30-2015, 07:39 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
This is why I would be very reluctant to rent a car in the UK. LOL

Old 12-30-2015, 07:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:

I've done it a couple of times it's not that bad. A dog leg is different too I wonder how many people here have driven that. My Porsche 914 was a dog leg.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
This is why I would be very reluctant to rent a car in the UK. LOL
I mean I drive a stick every day but I feel like I would be constantly stalling out when I try and accelerate in 5th and changing gears backwards.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:47 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,847 times
Quote:
Not hard at all. I have rented cars in Ireland and you quickly adapt. The pedals are the same as in the states and the shift pattern is the same. Actually, it makes one a more involved driver, so it helps considering that you are driving on the left side of the road....

It is rare to meet someone in Ireland that owns an automatic. Gas is $8/gallon so even a small difference in gas mileage adds up over the course of a year. When one gets a rental, if you want an automatic, one has to reserve it in advance and it costs more...

As for the stick, I believe that the stat is that 15% of the cars sold in the US have manual transmissions and that % is in decline. I learned to drive on an automatic, but we inherited a '66 Ford Falcon with a "three on the tree" so Pops showed me how to drive it. My wife can drive a stick. My three daughters (25, 23, 19) cannot. I supposed I should teach them but not on my fun car (91 Nissan 300ZX with a 5 speed)...

Old 12-30-2015, 12:04 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
Quote:
I didn't have any trouble with it when I rented a car at Heathrow and drove around the countryside and a bit in London. Became second nature after a few miles.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Quote:
Add in a third "not that bad at all", it's FAR worse trying to remember to keep left when on rural backroads (an issue in Ireland). I just rented a car in Barbados and had no issues at all, except for some reason the wipers and signal stalks were reversed... so I kept turning on the windshield wipers.

If you're confident with manual transmissions it's really just the initial weirdness of doing it with your left hand and being on the wrong side of the car. I was over it within a couple hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive