Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 AM

65 posts, read 176,022 times

Advertisements

i prefer a manual transmission EXCEPT in 'rush' hour traffic. then i prefer an automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:34 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,304 times
I cannot understand why a manual transmission is so hard for people today. It was standard on vehicles when I began to drive.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Let me just say that I award extra 2 points on the 1-10 scale whenever I find out that a woman drives stick. That's just cool.

Nowadays, manual cars get worse 0-60 time and worse MPG, as compared to automatics (particularly DSG), which used to be the reason why you would want to drive a manual (i.e., manuals used to be faster and more efficient). You also save about $1,000 if you don't get the automatic option when you buy the car (though nowadays it is a no cost option) and perhaps cheaper repair down the road if the transmission goes.)

But at the end of the day, it boils down to more fun. Much more fun. Having total control over your car is a great feeling. Not to mention, being "special" because not many people drive stick any more. People definitely know you are different. . . good or bad

Mick

Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I cannot understand why a manual transmission is so hard for people today. It was standard on vehicles when I began to drive.
Things change. Try driving in rush hour traffic. It's not fun. I did for a few years and never again.

Yes, if you have a weekend car sure go for it. For daily driver in major metropolitan cities, forget about it.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:11 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Things change. Try driving in rush hour traffic. It's not fun. I did for a few years and never again.
It most certainly is tolerable. Maybe not fun, but definitely tolerable.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,934 times
I can drive a manual. I'm a female and some people appear to be impressed when I tell them. I just learned out of necessity. Way back when, a used car with a manual transmission was usually cheaper than an automatic. It was all a matter of economics for me.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
It most certainly is tolerable. Maybe not fun, but definitely tolerable.
Different strokes for different folks. Some love it, some tolerate, some hate it. I hated it.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

Yes, if you have a weekend car sure go for it. For daily driver in major metropolitan cities, forget about it.
Wow, nobody at all lives outside of major metro areas? And people who work nonday shifts or are retired don't have to deal frequently with rush hour.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Let me just say that I award extra 2 points on the 1-10 scale whenever I find out that a woman drives stick. That's just cool.

Nowadays, manual cars get worse 0-60 time and worse MPG, as compared to automatics (particularly DSG), which used to be the reason why you would want to drive a manual (i.e., manuals used to be faster and more efficient). You also save about $1,000 if you don't get the automatic option when you buy the car (though nowadays it is a no cost option) and perhaps cheaper repair down the road if the transmission goes.)

But at the end of the day, it boils down to more fun. Much more fun. Having total control over your car is a great feeling. Not to mention, being "special" because not many people drive stick any more. People definitely know you are different. . . good or bad

Mick
Much more fun, and allows better control on mountain roads.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
I learned to drive on a stick, back in 82-when I was 20. Then, ex and I went on to own/drive 5 more stick shift vehicles. My last stick, a 98' Nissan Frontier, just gave out this Jan 16'. But my knees are getting too old for that much fun. I went to automatic for my new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive