Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 AM

103 posts, read 237,455 times

Advertisements

I learned to drive a stick in my dad's Toyota. After that I have had 10 cars out of which 4 had stick shifts. I am wanting to get into another stick shift again. Once you have driven one you always want to drive another one. Its like an itch that comes and goes and sometimes the itch is too strong....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:16 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
I recently traveled to Costa Rica and attempted to rent a car. After all the paperwork was filled out the man took me to my car. It was manual transmission! I told him I did not know how to drive a stick shift car. He acted like I was crazy and then told me that in this small tourist town, that was the only car they rented. They told me I would have to go to the Capital City, San Jose CR if I wanted to rent an automatic transmission. Even there only a few cars are automatic.

He acted like I was the only American he ever met who did not know how to drive a stick shift car. I am in my 50s and have driven since I was 16 years old.

Do you drive a stick shift car? What percent of Americans could drive one who have a drivers license?
I learned how to drive on a 1963 VW Beatle - manual tranny...
My first car I owned was a 1974 Mercury Capri - manual tranny...
My 2nd car was a 1979 Toyota pickup - (2wd that I later raised and converted to 4WD) - manual tranny...
3rd car was a 1967 Cutlas 4-4-2 - automatic tranny - (it had power windows!)
4th car was a 1983 1/2 Mustang GT - manual tranny....
5th car was a 1985 Dodge Daytona - manual tranny...
6th car was a 1992 Ford Explorer - auto tranny
7th car was a 1999 Chrysler Sebring (convertible) - auto tranny
8th car is a 2007 Toyota Solara - (Camry convertible) - auto tranny

8 cars in 39 years - obviously I don't rotate cars very often, but when I have 'em, I love 'em!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 AM

170 posts, read 235,335 times
I learned on a stick shift. Every car I've owned for the past 17 years has been stick shift. However, I'm now thoroughly sick of stick shift. I have a perfectly good car right now and all I can think about every time I get in it is how much I really just want to trade it in for an automatic. I had recently rented a car while visiting a city and the car was automatic and it was just so much nicer to drive around in a city without having to constantly clutch and shift.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:13 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Yes my 800hp ZO6 was a stick. Loved it!

Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,235,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I learned how to drive on a 1963 VW Beatle - manual tranny...
'71 here, orange convertible, with the top down. (Dad still owns it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I learned how to drive a stick, which was unusual for a girl at the time. The first car I owned was a manual Acura Integra. My husband and I owned that car for fifteen years. Loved it! My kids have never driven a stick. I think I need to do something about that.
Unusual for a girl? When was that?
I'm a girl. I learned in 1989...

I've had around a dozen vehicles since then and all but 2 have been standards. It can occasionally be hard to find them, but I'm patient. My husband and I have the philosophy that if we're going to be driving this for however many years, it's going to be fun.
And both of our kids can drive a standard comfortably. My 15 yr old son prefers it. His 13yr old sister complains. lol

Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,302 times
When traveling to Europe American tourists should bear in mind, that most rental vehicles in popular countries like Spain, France, Portugal or Italy come with manual shiftsticks and that the number of vehicles with an automatic gearbox is usually limited, even in bigger cities like Paris, Madrid or Lisbon.

Automatic rental cars in Europe are usually on request, which means that availability is not guaranteed, even though the website comes up with prices for the desired model.

Another important question to consider is, that models in Europe are normally smaller than the type of cars driven in the USA or Canada, so in case of doubt it may be better to book a slightly superior category in order to avoid problems with the luggage.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:19 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sinclair View Post
When traveling to Europe American tourists should bear in mind, that most rental vehicles in popular countries like Spain, France, Portugal or Italy come with manual shiftsticks and that the number of vehicles with an automatic gearbox is usually limited, even in bigger cities like Paris, Madrid or Lisbon.

Automatic rental cars in Europe are usually on request, which means that availability is not guaranteed, even though the website comes up with prices for the desired model.

Another important question to consider is, that models in Europe are normally smaller than the type of cars driven in the USA or Canada, so in case of doubt it may be better to book a slightly superior category in order to avoid problems with the luggage.
I can drive a stick and do every day. A stick on the wrong side of the car? Yikes!

Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Manual gearboxes are far less complex and tend to hold up better if used properly. Always my choice if I have it.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:57 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
My wife actually taught me how to drive stick when we were dating and I've been driving stick ever since. No one if my family or circle of friends growing up had one.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
It's funny. 20 years ago a auto trans was a option and a manual was standard. I think that's where standard shift phrase came from. But now you can't even get a standard shift. The only diesel I know with a manual shift is Dodge. Ford and Chevy completely dumped the manual shift trans. Having driven both auto and manual I prefer manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive