Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 10:01 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times

Advertisements

Only see a significant amount among enthusiasts these days. But even then now it's a 50/50 split unless you're talking a model that is exclusively manual.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
I really miss driving a stick! I ALWAYS recommend young people (anyone really) learn it. Reasons:

1. It feels so good (like you're driving a race car)! So cool for girls.
2. You can drive other vehicles with a stick in emergency situations.
3. It makes you THINK and there is a split second when you are changing gears that could save you! Driving a stick...you're 'ENGAGED'. Why do you think they call automatic "AUTOMATIC"?! LOL We need people to be more aware of what they're doing on the road. : )

I finally learned (after lots of lessons with a college roommate that seemed to go nowhere) when someone loaned me their VW Beetle to rush to an important appointment and there was no other option. It all came together and I had no difficulty. Even after years of driving an automatic, a stick comes back to you, just like riding a bike.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,807 times
Love my sticks. ❤

American female and I own one.
I noticed that the older men in my life can drive one because most cars back in the day were sticks and they learned on them.

Guys under 40 and more women than that usually can't drive one unless they're into cars as a hobby/work.

When they see me rolling up in a 6-speed sportscar they're impressed...haha. (I wish I was kidding but I'm not. They think I'm a badass.)

Old 12-29-2015, 03:47 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,509,336 times
My parents owned a 1977 Toyota Celica and I learned to a manual on it. It was the perfect car to do so - light clutch, very smooth and easy shifting five speed. It is rather surprising how many younger Americans can't drive a stick now. I seen a couple of articles in the news about carjackers how try to steal a manual transmission car and then jump out and take off when they discover its a manual (and they can't drive it ).

Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Learned how to drive my first car with a stick shift while our Subaru is a slushbox I miss having a stick of my own. My wife can drive stick too but I don't think she misses it like I do. Next sports car I get will be stick.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:06 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Love my sticks. ❤

American female and I own one.
I noticed that the older men in my life can drive one because most cars back in the day were sticks and they learned on them.

Guys under 40 and more women than that usually can't drive one unless they're into cars as a hobby/work.

When they see me rolling up in a 6-speed sportscar they're impressed...haha. (I wish I was kidding but I'm not. They think I'm a badass.)

Don't you know that women who can drive stick are 100 times hotter them women who cant?!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Don't you know that women who can drive stick are 100 times hotter them women who cant?!
Dude her screen name is goddess . I'm pretty sure she knows ^^^^^

Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,310 times
Doesn't surprise me that so few folks know how to drive manual. Most of my US friends don't, my wife doesn't and has zero interest in learning. My parents insisted that my brother and I learn shortly after we got our licenses.

Knowing manual served me well when my life and I were living in Europe for a couple of years - all but one of our rental cars were manuals. All my friends in Europe who had drivers licenses (even those who didn't own cars) could drive manual.

Half of the six cars that I've owned have been manuals. Favorite thing about them is that they make driving more involving and entertaining. Most modern autobox cars are boring to drive except when racing around like a hoon. Manuals make even mundane, low-speed trips a lot more fun.

Having said that - my city is as flat as a football field and my commute is only three miles. If I spent a lot of time in bumper-to-bumper traffic or lived somewhere with lots of hills I would never consider a manual for a daily driver. My wife's car is an auto, and on any trip in the city of 10 miles or more I make a point of checking traffic before we leave, if it's bad we take her car.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:32 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As for the OP question, I would say that 90% could figure out within a few blocks how to drive s stick if their life depended on it, but maybe only 10% could spend a whole day in traffic feeling comfortable with it.

I wonder how many Americans could rent a stick at Heathrow and drive it out into London traffic, shifting with their left hand.
I've rented manual transmission cars at LHR a number of times. It's no big deal. If the Brits had reversed the gas pedal and clutch, I would have been F'ed.

I think your 90% could figure it out in a few blocks is a bit high. A manual transmission car is probably a great anti-theft tool these days.

I learned to drive in a 1957 Willy's Jeep utility wagon. If you learn to drive in an underpowered car without synchromesh, anything else after that is easy. My high school/college car was a 3-on-the-tree Maverick. I drove manual transmission cars for 25 years as an adult. My last daily driver was a VW GTI with that dual clutch "automatic manual" DSG transmission. It could shift better than I ever could. My current car is a 6-cylinder Outback with CVT. The CVT has steering wheel paddle shifters to simulate a manual transmission for snow driving and hill descents which is the only time I care about manual transmission features. I'm fine with it. The main thing that's changed is I used to get 100,000 miles out of my brakes. I'm now doing pads and rotors what seems like every 25,000 or 30,000 miles.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've rented manual transmission cars at LHR a number of times. It's no big deal. If the Brits had reversed the gas pedal and clutch, I would have been F'ed.

I think your 90% could figure it out in a few blocks is a bit high. A manual transmission car is probably a great anti-theft tool these days.

I learned to drive in a 1957 Willy's Jeep utility wagon. If you learn to drive in an underpowered car without synchromesh, anything else after that is easy. My high school/college car was a 3-on-the-tree Maverick. I drove manual transmission cars for 25 years as an adult. My last daily driver was a VW GTI with that dual clutch "automatic manual" DSG transmission. It could shift better than I ever could. My current car is a 6-cylinder Outback with CVT. The CVT has steering wheel paddle shifters to simulate a manual transmission for snow driving and hill descents which is the only time I care about manual transmission features. I'm fine with it. The main thing that's changed is I used to get 100,000 miles out of my brakes. I'm now doing pads and rotors what seems like every 25,000 or 30,000 miles.

Well truthfully you would only make the swapped clutch/gas pedal mistake once

Exactly the reason I have a standard shift. Very few can drive it

Lol double clutching. I learned on a old Power Wagon we had as a farm truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive