Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

I say good riddance to Pontiac. They were just such ugly, bland vehicles to me. They may have been fun to drive for certain Pontiac enthusiasts, but they had nothing to offer in the aesthetics department. As I consider buying a new car myself this year, Pontiac never stood a fighting chance in hell for me because they're just so bulky looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Why keep Buick? Do people even buy those anymore?
It's the most popular foreign marque in China. If they can discontinue the brand in the U.S. without damaging its marketing effort in China, that might not be a bad idea. Still, that would leave no step-up for entry-level luxury buyers between bottom-of-the-line Chevy and top-of-the-line Cadillac. I think Buick is a valuable asset that's simply being misused/mismanaged.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Did anyone read the linked article? It is from a website hardly considered to be a premier automotive news site. The first to post a reply questioned the validity of the article.

What GM has officially stated is that Pontiac will be reduced to more of a "niche" brand, will still be available thru Buick GMC Pontiac dealers as it is now. Some models will be eliminated, so it won't have a full model lineup, but it will continue.

The one sure death in GM's stable is Saturn. They are shopping Hummer and Saab to potential buyers as well.

Don't take this website seriously. GM has not made an official announcement about Pontiac's death to my knowledge.
Here is the clip from the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams that I watched last night called "Pontiac, End of the Line." You can all watch it here: NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams-NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams - Pontiac’s Long Road Comes to an End - AOL Video

This is what the New York Times reported: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/bu...20pontiac.html

They say Pontiac will be niche brand, not a separate division. Not sure what is the difference between "niche brand" and separate division though. One thing is that the large Pontiac line up of today will soon be much much smaller.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
It's the most popular foreign marque in China. If they can discontinue the brand in the U.S. without damaging its marketing effort in China, that might not be a bad idea. Still, that would leave no step-up for entry-level luxury buyers between bottom-of-the-line Chevy and top-of-the-line Cadillac. I think Buick is a valuable asset that's simply being misused/mismanaged.
Buick's are comfortable and reliable vehicles but I don't care for their rounded look, it's too "grandma-ish" for my taste. I think they could try to make Buick's a bit more appealing to a younger age group like Cadillac is doing with the CTS. If Buick could come out with a model appealing to people in their 30's-40's, it would help do-away with their "old folks" brand image.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:14 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
As the owner of a '95 Formula and a 2000 Grand Prix GTP I am deeply saddened by this. Both cars have been VERY reliable!! I also have a '90 Sunbird with 180k miles on it that was rock-solid reliable! The only reason I quit driving it was that the timing belt broke on me,and I had to come home on a trailer. I made a promise that if it ever standed me it was time for something else. I put another timing belt on it and I have it "mothballed."

I can't believe it's come to this! My wife and I were hopefully going to buy a G8 at some point!! I guess it will be a used one! Dang.
Actually this has happened alot in the past.Even if Pontiac is gone it doesn't mean all the Pontiac products will go too.It just means certain cars will be kept but instead might be Chevy Formula,or the Oldsmobile G8 for example.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
^^ Newsflash, Oldsmobile has been gone for years now.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Buick's are comfortable and reliable vehicles but I don't care for their rounded look, it's too "grandma-ish" for my taste. I think they could try to make Buick's a bit more appealing to a younger age group like Cadillac is doing with the CTS. If Buick could come out with a model appealing to people in their 30's-40's, it would help do-away with their "old folks" brand image.
Had a 2000 Buick Century-----One of the first cars that me and my wife had.So comfortable and didn't feel like we were driving boats like the Big Caddy's and Lincoln's.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ Newsflash, Oldsmobile has been gone for years now.
I know that,thats why I said for example. Alero was actually the last model they made.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Pontiac should have gotten the axe many years ago, IMO. They have, up until the last 2-3 years, been GM's laughing stock (right down there with Saturn). UGLY vehicles clad in obnoxious plasticky designs, etc. Most Pontiacs, as the case with all GMs, were just rebadged crapboxes, with laughable scoops, horrific spoilers, dorky wheels, and puke-a-licious side skirts.

The worst offenders? Lets start with the Grand Am. Just try and count all the lines you find on the bumper and side panels. And for an even harder laugh, check out the fake hood scoops and ridiculously over-exaggerated dashboard. PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://media.motortopia.com/files/10...3289e31f/1.jpg

And Pontiac's "wicked" ride, the Firebird? Just as bad of an offender as the Grand Am. Gotta love that oversized wing, 4 (!?!?!) hood scoops, ridiculous lower body lines, etc. Pontiac even had to dimple the side mirrors because, well, why not? Every-bloody-thing else had lines and gouges, why not do it to the mirrors, right?!?!?! Gag me with a spoon:
http://images04.olx.com/ui/1/38/38/f_1243038_1.jpg

And the "winner" of Pontiac's bunch? This one goes w/o saying!
http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/asset...ntiacAztek.jpg

Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
^^^^
You pretty muched defined Pontiac right there Steve-O. That was pretty funny.

And yes, the "winner" of Pontiac's bunch has to be one of the ugliest cars ever built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive