Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Naturally your GM hatred colors your commentary on this subject so I'm not really going to bother with a detailed response. So my summary response is to say that the proper response to mismanaging an otherwise valuable brand is to simply stop mismanaging it, not to kill it outright. And I think GM is taking the right approach by paring it down to a niche brand instead of trying to keep it a jack-of-all-trades mass-appeal brand.
Its an opinion. And while I admit that Pontiac has been trying to change lately (hence my "up until the last 2-3 years" statement), and for the better, its still best to take the saw to 95% of the division. Ford needs to do the same with Mercury, which is already in the rumor mill anyway.

And want to know part of the reason I dont like GM? Its because of companies like Pontiac who made ridiculous, in-your-face, tacky cars and marketed themselves as GM's "performance" division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,522 times
G8/Commodore-> new Impala. And while they're at it, eliminate Buick in the US. That new '10 LaCrosse-> new Caprice. Changing the grille shouldn't be that hard, it's GM's specialty.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its an opinion. And while I admit that Pontiac has been trying to change lately (hence my "up until the last 2-3 years" statement), and for the better, its still best to take the saw to 95% of the division. Ford needs to do the same with Mercury, which is already in the rumor mill anyway.

And want to know part of the reason I dont like GM? Its because of companies like Pontiac who made ridiculous, in-your-face, tacky cars and marketed themselves as GM's "performance" division.

Sheese, Pontiac was the only division with a style worth looking at all from gm until the last 2-3 years when they went completely ugly copycat of a japaneese ugly ride like the rest of gm already was. The Grand Am you don't like or the Bonneville you hate? I liked them. Far better than the rest of the lame industry. I'll take my Grand Am with this package tho....
Attached Thumbnails
Breaking News... GM to discontinue Pontiac brand-grand-am-pro-stock.jpg  

Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Sheese, Pontiac was the only division with a style worth looking at all from gm until the last 2-3 years when they went completely ugly copycat of a japaneese ugly ride like the rest of gm already was. The Grand Am you don't like or the Bonneville you hate? I liked them. Far better than the rest of the lame industry. I'll take my Grand Am with this package tho....

I agree, at least Pontiac (and Dodge) have some level of style to their designs. To an extent you can say the same about the new Caddys. Camcords are so bland and boring. The Malibu may be a great car, but the style is such a snoozer.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
I figured Buick would go before Pontiac. Does anyone under the age of 80 buy a new Buick?

I had a Pontiac Sunbird and it was so awful, it turned me off of GM from then on.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
If you call Pontiac "style", well, then thats your prerogative. And kicking out "stylish" cars like the ragingly cool Montana, laughable Sunfire, gawdy Firebird, yawnable G6, grotesque Aztek, etc, just wasnt "cool" OR "stylish", IMO. Ever heard the phrase "all bark and no bite"? That summed up Pontiac pretty well.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Camcords are so bland and boring.
Are you confusing the dead Chrysler Concorde with a handheld videotaping device?

I agree with you that Dodge has some style in their lineup, completely unlike Pontiac.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
If you call Pontiac "style", well, then thats your prerogative. And kicking out "stylish" cars like the ragingly cool Montana, laughable Sunfire, gawdy Firebird, yawnable G6, grotesque Aztek, etc, just wasnt "cool" OR "stylish", IMO. Ever heard the phrase "all bark and no bite"? That summed up Pontiac pretty well.
Says the man who drives a Tiburon.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake
Camcords are so bland and boring.

Quote:
Are you confusing the dead Chrysler Concorde with a handheld videotaping device?

I agree with you that Dodge has some style in their lineup, completely unlike Pontiac.
I am sure he is lumping the two most popular cars for years on end, the Camry and the Accord. Boring aren't they? It is so boring to not have to go in for repairs on a regular basis. It is so boring to have your car hold its value when you go to trade it in.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,784,131 times
Quote:
And Pontiac's "wicked" ride, the Firebird? Just as bad of an offender as the Grand Am. Gotta love that oversized wing
Can't be as bad as 99% of the import crowd who go out to Pep Boys and put one of those 4 foot tall aluminum wings on the rear thinking it's some sort of performance mod.

Most cars like the Aztek or the Grand AM I concur could and probably should be dismissed. But the Trans AM.....IMO was the last real hurrah for Pontiac.

The GTO wasn't bad but it wasn't sporty and it desecrated a legend's name. It also didn't sell well.

I think Pontiac lost their edge years ago though. The 1973 Trans AM is considered the last true muscle car, though the 1989 Turbo trans AM was also a glimmering light for Pontiac, thanks from help from Buick. That glimmer returned again for 1998-2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive