Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Now I'm curious...does anybody know the first car that featured a cassette player as optional equipment? I tried searching and couldn't find anything....not sure if they were available in 1967.
I'm not real sure but the earliest I have seen were two Mopars, one a 1971 Charger and the other I think a 1971 Challenger, that both had factory cassette decks in them. Both cassette decks also offered a plug in for a microphone.

I think I read somewhere the cassette decks in a 1971 Mopar were very expensive. And to think now you can't practically give away a cassette player.

I can't imagine a cassette having poorer sound quality than an 8 track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Century GN? Never made em.. Maybe you were thinking the larger LeSabre? They had a GN version

http://www.lesabret-type.com/LeSabreGN.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Strange GM stuff I've seen, and remember, I grew up about a mile away from the GM Tech Center:
1. Saw a Century GN on a buy here pay here lot in Eastpointe, Michigan a couple of years ago. I swear it was not an 86 or 87. It had the 84-85 grille and no CHMSL. They were asking about $3000 for it and it sat a long time. I still see that car from time to time.
2. Saw quite a few Eurosport VRs when they were new. I was always quite fond of them, especially the red. They all had tacky black leather seats with light gray cloth bolsters. Hamilton Chevrolet in north Warren had a silver sedan on the used car lot back in mid-late 88. It had to have been on the lot for six months.
3. How's this for a rare beast: the '87 Firenza GT...Olds equivalent of the Cavalier Z24. It was a hatchback with the V6. How about an equally rare car-the 1988 Firenza. They put a whole new grille and headlights on it and only had it around for a year.
4. Olds 98 Touring Sedan...remember this beauty?
5. I read somewhere about a whole fleet of 1981 Malibus sold to the Iraqi government with 229 V6s and three on the trees. Not all of them made it to Iraq, though; most were actually sold in Canada at fire sale prices.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Absolutely not. It was a Century Grand National coupe. I talked to the salesman about it. I saw that car quite a few times passing by the car lot. I realize there was a Century T-Type as well but that was not a T-Type.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 AM

was it a Century grand SPORT?? They made em in 86..

2010 Detroit Autorama: The 1986 Buick Century Gran Sport - Detroit Autos | Examiner.com

Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
At least in the past, GM did occasionally sell "one off" cars they built to the public, generally around the Detroit area. Friend of mine had a C4 Corvette with a one-off automatic transmission, he said that few or no parts were available for the trans and if it ever went out he'd have to replace it with the "standard" automatic either new, rebuilt with no core, or from a yard - but he got a good deal on the car, used but with few miles, it was a test mule.

A savvy collector could snap up some interesting one-off cars at least back in the day.

I think I posted up about this but back in the 60's and 70's anyway, you could "order stuff not on the menu" with the COPO cars being just one example. Some rather upscale cars with very spartan interiors, inline 6 and 3-speed where it wasn't a published option have also been rumored, I have not seen any of the cars except the COPO cars (and those only in pictures).

I did tour the Doraville assembly plant back in the late 70's and at least then they were building various El Camino, Chevelle, and BOP cars all on one line, the only thing they all shared was the frame. So if what you wanted would fit, it was not a big deal for them to put in what you wanted, this back before so many emissions and crash safety rules so they didn't have to prototype your one-off request, just build it.

That 67 wagon reminds me of the days when Detroit built cool cars. It's not as cool as a 275 GTO of course, but WAY cheaper and still cool.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
It may have been. The GS logo was similar to the GN logo...but I am pretty certain it was an 84 or an 85 as I remember it having the more upright grille. I'm sure I'll see it on the road again...I'll pay closer attention.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
It may have been. The GS logo was similar to the GN logo...but I am pretty certain it was an 84 or an 85 as I remember it having the more upright grille. I'm sure I'll see it on the road again...I'll pay closer attention.

yea... if ya can, snap a pic of it!!

Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 AM

UPDATE: I saw the Century in question late last night in a Kroger parking lot in St. Clair Shores. It is currently for sale for $2500. It's not show quality (but it's not bad for the age and for being in MI) and it has seat covers over the front seats. I was mistaken; it is a GS, but it does not have the 86-88 grille with the chrome crosshairs like the one in the Autorama pictures. It has the upright vertical bar grille of an 85, so it's some sort of weirdo car, it seems. There is not an upright hood ornament; just a flat round emblem with "GS" on it. It also has a factory GM third brake light which was not standard until 86. I took camera phone pics of the GS trunk emblem (but too much of my headlight glare) and one showing the front GS emblem and part of the grille as proof.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,205 times
Quote:
5. I read somewhere about a whole fleet of 1981 Malibus sold to the Iraqi government with 229 V6s and three on the trees. Not all of them made it to Iraq, though; most were actually sold in Canada at fire sale prices.

I've got one and they have a three on the floor. Bench seat too, made some kind of super industrial-strength cloth. Incredibly simple car and easy to fix, not that it's ever really needed anything outside of regular maintenance. This one is completely road worthy and we drive it every now and then. Even at minus 30C, it starts right up. The six is horribly underpowered on the hills, but on the flats get gas mileage to rival many newer small cars. Pretty much bullet proof overall.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDoer View Post
I've got one and they have a three on the floor. Bench seat too, made some kind of super industrial-strength cloth. Incredibly simple car and easy to fix, not that it's ever really needed anything outside of regular maintenance. This one is completely road worthy and we drive it every now and then. Even at minus 30C, it starts right up. The six is horribly underpowered on the hills, but on the flats get gas mileage to rival many newer small cars. Pretty much bullet proof overall.
A pic. Oh, and they have 200km speedometers. Talk about wishful thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Oddball GM Drivetrain Options-dsc00060_resize.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive